Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

What's all this then?

This is Old World Blues, the Fallout mod. We have a larger, America-centric map with a lot more detail, a completely reworked tech tree, and a fuckton of content. Old World Blues is up there with Equestria At War in giving content to a whole bunch of different countries. Generally, if you know Fallout, you're going to recognize a lot of stuff, though since the devs need to fill an entire map, there is some stuff that's made up or extrapolated from, like, a single line in a Van Buren design doc or whatever. Still, the whole gang's here, from the NCR to the Legion to New Vegas, Vault City, Arroyo and more.

Anything else we should know?

Not particularly. There's a fair bit of stuff that is different, but not different enough to really throw you off. The first video will be an overview of the map and the factions, but we've already decided on playing as the Free Fighters, because a nation of luchadores is something we just have to go for.

Luchadores?

Yes.

BGM List:

quote:

Episodes 1-4: Assorted radio tracks from Fallout: New Vegas and mods, mixed together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

TheMcD posted:

.... playing as the Free Fighters, because a nation of luchadores is something we just have to go for.

This is objectively the best choice. I'm glad to see it. Viva Luche Libre!

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

For all the fluff the modders had to invent, and how incredibly silly Fallout gets with factions who take their One Gimmick too seriously, is there at least a nation of dumpster-diving cultists who roam the lands in search of terrible fanfic?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

silentsnack posted:

For all the fluff the modders had to invent, and how incredibly silly Fallout gets with factions who take their One Gimmick too seriously, is there at least a nation of dumpster-diving cultists who roam the lands in search of terrible fanfic?

Not quite, but there's the Marrow Drinkers, a group lead by a former raider that got beaten up within an inch of her life on a job, then found an old Grognak the Barbarian comic in some wreckage, which led to her convincing herself that she was Mesmeralda the gorgon queen, the villain of the issue. And since she has access to slave collars ("enchanted collars"), drugs ("potion of servitude") and mesmetrons ("magic wand"), it works out pretty well.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Let's get to playing! There's some mechanics here that I've never seen before and don't quite understand, but whatever, we'll figure it out, I think.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time to decide once and for all who will be leading the Free Fighters to glory. And of course, this decision will be made in the ring.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Now that we've cleared up who's going to lead us, it's time to start taking out those criminals bordering us.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

One cartel down, one more to go. Also, we get an offer we can't refuse! (We should've probably refused it.) Also also, I have non-poo poo audio now!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Time to consolidate.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Our allies go to war, and we have to join in. Things get out of hand.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

So, uh, technically a spoiler, I guess, but this is the final episode. Things go south. Very quickly.

And with that, I've run out of material to post and haven't had the opportunity to record more, and this weekend I'm already doing something for a different LP. So most likely the next post will be a bit.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Well, this isn't exactly what I had planned for the LP to continue with, but it is what it is.

So, what is this mod? It's Reichskommissariat Ruckus, a sort of minigame mod. The basic conceit is "Germany conquers world, puts puppet governments in charge to deal with massive overextension, gives them so much freedom that they literally all stop phoning home and Germany now has to ask everybody 'hey, you still with us or against us', with each puppet having a 50/50 chance of being with them or attacking them". It's a neat concept.

Now, why am I posting this the way I am? Because poo poo went wrong. Basically, the footage Ibble recorded was laggy as gently caress for some reason. My footage is largely unusable because I wasn't in charge in this playthrough, meaning my footage mostly consisted of me dicking around and doing gently caress all relevant stuff. As a result, you should not expect quality from this, which is why I'm just dumping this in one go.

If there's still one or two of you out there that like having this stuff as background noise (though I can't imagine that, given the audio problems we've had over the course of the LP), I'm just going to dump a vaguely edited version of the entire session in one post here. This very likely won't end up in the OP at all because it's just a mess. Still, I should at least give you the opportunity to look at it and decide for yourself.

Part One
Part Two
Part Three
Part Four
Part Five

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 18, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

So strikes the curse of technical difficulties.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Well, that was watched. Or mostly listened to while watching on occasion.

This mod seems to be like a randomizer, where you never get the same game twice, and Germany is the only real player nation in the game. You against the world. Not my cup of tea in terms of game play.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

That's pretty much it, yeah. Difficulty level changes how big the other nations are and how likely they are to ally you vs wardec you, along with other stuff. It's basically a big RNG fest and eventually it was kind of a slog whenever someone joined the other side.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Christ, it's been a while.

What's all this then?

This is No Step Back, the most recent DLC released for Hearts of Iron 4. It added focus trees for the Baltic countries, Poland and the Soviet Union, a rework of the officer and doctrine system, a tank designer, and a rework of the supply system. It also broke basically every mod. Fun times.

Anything else?

We're playing as the Soviets this time, and I'm going to be taking Ibble into account a bit more instead of running the show largely by myself. This may or may not end in disaster. Also, this is the final campaign of the LP. It's been a long while, and it's time to wrap it up.

BGM List:

quote:

Episodes 1-5: Assorted radio tracks from the Hearts of Iron 4 soundtrack

berryjon
May 30, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Also, this is the final campaign of the LP. It's been a long while, and it's time to wrap it up.

NOOOOOO!!!!

Well, it's been a fun ride. Thanks, and I will stick with you through to the end.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Welp, that's that then.
Thanks for the ride, mate. Been fun.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

The Spanish Civil War gives a good opportunity for us to dick around, get in each other's way, and end up blundering several tank divisions.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Stalin's getting paranoid, so it's time to get purgin'. We didn't need those guys anyway.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Time to expand. Those Baltic countries just take up space anyway, right? Nobody's gonna miss them if they were to just join up with us. Voluntarily, of course.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Germany is starting to get ideas, and we need to prepare.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm surprised you didn't try to take a bite of Poland, if only to have more space to defend yourself with.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

berryjon posted:

I'm surprised you didn't try to take a bite of Poland, if only to have more space to defend yourself with.

I mean, I knew we signed Molotov-Ribbentrop, so we were just going to get the historical result anyway unless I wanted to maybe provoke an early attack by Germany by ripping it up. Invading Poland just wasn't worth it to me since I knew Germany will stick to the terms of the treaty and give us land despite us not even declaring war.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

With the German invasion still some time out, we have an opportunity to try and expand our sphere a bit. Some attempts fail, but others go well!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

Now that we have the Finns properly on our side, we should not have to worry about our northern front ever again. So let's start building up the western front.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time for war. Now we just wait for Hitler to declare on us...

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

OK, so we had to take things into our own hands. That's fine. Time to kick this off properly.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

So some things did not go to plan, but the important part is we're not getting massively pushed back. Let's just keep this going.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

German offensives have failed to make any real progress. We just need to hold out a bit longer and hope the Allies relieve some of this pressure.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

It's time for the great counteroffensive. The German lines have been stretched far thanks to Allied landings, and now we can make our move.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

New video!

This is it. We finally defeat the fascist menace and redraw the European borders, and that brings this campaign to a close. It's been a hell of a ride, filled with audio problems and more. But while we could have kept this going much longer, I have several projects I want to get to, and over a year is a pretty good runtime.

LET'S PLAY HEARTS OF IRON 4 - THE END

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

We did it :toot:

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Congrats on finally destroying fascism!

And thank you for the different mod-showcases.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You did it! And thanks for the ride, it's been up and down, that's for sure. But I think you guys had more ups than downs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Thanks for the LP! I still have very little idea what's going on besides Bars Goes Up but at least you two have a clue. :v: