Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I didn't know it existed until you posted about it and now I would like to go back to not knowing it existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Nephthys posted:

That we know of, there's still the blue-haired kid on the front cover to introduce. :v:

The other aggravating thing is that the new kids follow the lovely trend of just being the original cast but slightly different. They should have called it Bigurashi. Oh and making Satoko straight and get married (which she was extremely against in the original) is absolutely revolting. I'm gonna just pretend this manga doesn't exist.

Considering

J-Spot posted:

Rena is divorced

this whole new media push has been about deliberately making the characters go against every principle they had in the original work. Shockingly, no one wants this!

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

No doubt, I'd also forgotten that for all that Higurashi makes a big deal out of Keichi representing the fresh blood and new future of Hinamizawa, in this he becomes a politician and moves to Tokyo.

Poor Rika. Another bad end timeline.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ok, because I have no self-control I did look at the full details of the manga after release and LMAO the pink-haired kid is JUST loving LAMBDADELTA AGAIN! Why are you still here you horrible goblin?! Seriously though she looks and acts like her, says Zettai and her name is a 34 pun. Also Gertrude and Cornelia from Umineko show up as teachers randomly, so that's fun.

This is looking like it's just a random fragment. This Rika can't loop anymore but Hanyu gave her a magic bracelet that she uses to make Keichi's son loop after Mion gets murdered. Satoko is definitely not from Sotsu since she has no clue about the curse being fake and blames Mion's death on it. Also if it was Sotsu Satoko Rika would obviously let her loop to save Mion since she'd know Satoko is a Pro Looper.

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Nephthys posted:

Ok, because I have no self-control I did look at the full details of the manga after release and LMAO the pink-haired kid is JUST loving LAMBDADELTA AGAIN! Why are you still here you horrible goblin?! Seriously though she looks and acts like her, says Zettai and her name is a 34 pun.

That is precisely dumb enough that I am now fully back on board. May Mr. Ryukishi's Wild Ride never end.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

If the new manga is pretending SotsuGou never happened that's a-ok in my book. I don't give a poo poo about ships so none of the future stuff is a problem for me.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Meguri continues. Confrontations in the parlor, someone else gets hit with the trap this time.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I'm kind of digging the new Rei manga so far? I dunno, I'm willing to see where it goes. Then again, I don't give a flip about shipping at all.

I kind of like Rena's kid

Edit: on that topic, new chapter of Rei is out today

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 10, 2021

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I've been keeping up with Meguri, they definitely sold how loving terrible Satoko's solitary punishment was to the point where she honestly seems to have snapped before Eua even got involved. I wish she would have burned the whole bloody school down in at least one loop. Rika is completely ignorant of everything of course.

Speaking of Eua, she steps in as soon as the club meets back up so Satoko didn't get a chance to reconnect with them or find her horn. Another interesting change.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the original higurashi games' story was good and had a great ending and I don't know why they keep loving with it and adding on more and more and more and more and just let the series rest man.

07's gotta eat i guess

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 10, 2022

batteries!
Aug 26, 2010

Hogama posted:

Also a countdown for something in December.
https://higurashinazotoki.olevent.jp/lp/

Did this turn out to be anything good, or more crap?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Nephthys posted:

Speaking of Eua, she steps in as soon as the club meets back up so Satoko didn't get a chance to reconnect with them or find her horn. Another interesting change.

I thought it was interesting that Eua specifically asks if Satoko wants to return to June of 1983 when that date doesn't really hold any significance until she learns about Rika's loops. I wonder if the manga is just going to jump straight to her recreating Rika's loops with Eua maybe giving her the idea.

batteries! posted:

Did this turn out to be anything good, or more crap?

I think this was just about merch or something, but they did recently announce yet another new manga series

https://twitter.com/07th_official/status/1476392836136566786?s=20

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

I thought it was interesting that Eua specifically asks if Satoko wants to return to June of 1983 when that date doesn't really hold any significance until she learns about Rika's loops. I wonder if the manga is just going to jump straight to her recreating Rika's loops with Eua maybe giving her the idea.

If they have Eua be more actively malicious and manipulative it'll definitely be an improvement. Framing her as the real villain fell flat when literally all she did were things Satoko asked her to do. Also, I'd prefer them not skipping too much plot at this point. Satoko's descent into madness and all her prep-loops were by far the best parts of Gou-Sotsu.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 11, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Meguri continues to clean up the plot a bit. They cut all of the WTC references, had Eua show Satoko all of Rika's loops right at the start, made her explicitly say that she wants Satoko to make a sequel to Rikas story for her and when she's explaining the deal she makes it seem like all of Satoko's loops are just simulations to find the right events to get what she wants. When she does, Eua will 'make the passage of time real again' and she recreates it. That definitely makes Satoko's perspective on looping easier to swallow. Also at the end of the chapter she puts Satoko to sleep in the Sea of Fragments, so I wonder if her loops really are going to be like dreams in Meguri.

I'm a bit sad they pushed Satoko watching Rika's loops here, since her going full crazy was the best thing in Gou, but generally all of the changes make the plot more coherent and put Satoko into a better light. I think Meguri is definitely going to make her a lot less evil and crazy. I will miss evil Satoko if thats the case though, ngl.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 2, 2022

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I think having Satoko's loops take place in some sort of simulated dream world is a good change. That will hopefully make the story a bit more coherent than it turned out in the anime and makes Ryukishi's defense of Satoko's actions a bit easier to swallow. I assume that ultimately we will see Eua pull the "real" Rika's consciousness into this dream world as well rather than have Satoko chasing some random loop's Rika. There's also no mention of death being the mechanism for Satoko to loop so this probably won't keep that whole "you must die after the cat" rule that didn't turn out to be relevant.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The new Meguri chapter is out and it deviates substantially from the anime. Satoko goes through her own hundred years of tragic loops where no matter what she tries results in a bad ending. She is willing to let go of Rika from the very start, but Rika ends up dying on the cab ride over to St. Lucia. The situation seems to be that if they stay together they end up breaking their bond, and if they're apart one of them dies. We also actually get to see her dealing with Satoshi's condition as well and it seems he ends up dying or deteriorating no matter what.

This chapter actually gives me some hope that the manga actually is going to make the story work. I was afraid we'd be heading for the same ending even if some of the details of how we get there were changed, but that whole half-assed "it's okay for friends to drift apart" lesson from the anime is out the window if letting go of Rika results in her death. So what's the lesson going to be this time? Probably something about being honest and talking with your friends since it seems like Satoko tries everything short of telling Rika the truth.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 11, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

The new Meguri chapter is out and it deviates substantially from the anime. Satoko goes through her own hundred years of tragic loops where no matter what she tries results in a bad ending. She is willing to let go of Rika from the very start, but Rika ends up dying on the cab ride over to St. Lucia. The situation seems to be that if they stay together they end up breaking their bond, and if they're apart one of them dies. We also actually get to see her dealing with Satoshi's condition as well and it seems he ends up dying or deteriorating no matter what.

This chapter actually gives me some hope that the manga actually is going to make the story work. I was afraid we'd be heading for the same ending even if some of the details of how we get there were changed, but that whole half-assed "it's okay for friends to drift apart" lesson from the anime is out the window if letting go of Rika results in her death. So what's the lesson going to be this time? Probably something about being honest and talking with your friends since it seems like Satoko tries everything short of telling Rika the truth.

Yeah, really interesting changes. This is exactly what I wanted to see from the anime, more of Satoko genuinely trying a lot of different things to get the best ending and all of it turning out badly until she's backed into a corner. It's pretty obviously contrived that Rika dies every time she leaves Hinamizawa and Satoshi's health just plummets for no reason immediately after. Eua is definitely manipulating events here, which is a good change probably. I can definitely believe that Satoko would give up on Satoshi after this and completely focus on Rika. And given that she lets Rika leave out of kindness in one loop only for her to immediately die, I can also buy her becoming totally ruthless in forcing her to stay. Also, gently caress Rika for choosing the St. Lucia girls over Satoko.

You can see some neat callbacks to the anime as well. Satoko is wearing her finale outfit when she says goodbye to Rika. You can see images from the anime loops in the montage at the end (fighting over the textbook, arguing in front of the store, falling in the river, Satoko angry at St. Lucia) implying that maybe those loops did happen here just in a different context and with more in between. Their house collapses just like in the anime, and Satoko actually manages to get Rika to stay long enough for it to kill them both in one loop. Another interesting thing is that Eua resets the loop the first time, then the next one is reset by Satoko dying to the house collapsing. By the 4th loop she's worked out she can reset it herself with suicide. Thats a really nice detail and a logical escalation to Satoko's perspective as a looper.

Fingers crossed the lesson is "Embrace Witches, beat up God" and they tag team Eua at the end. Other than that, yeah I guess what you said.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 12, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Yeah, this is definitely way more interesting than just The Same Episodes You Just Saw But With Maybe One Difference. It's worth it for the stuff with Satoshi alone.

Really makes me wonder what happened during the production of Sotsu, like did they have something else planned that skewed closer to what Meguri is doing or if Sotsu was what they planned the whole time? It just sucks because there was so much detail and energy put in to Gou that it felt like they had more planned than just reusing most of the same episodes again. A drastic budget cut between seasons wouldn't surprise me.

Or maybe that is exactly what they had planned and it turns out it was kind of a sucky idea :shrug:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 14, 2022

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Short chapter this week, Satoko has basically given up on the idea of getting a happy ending after 100 years of failure and she's decided that the 'ideal world' Eua can grant her is one where she continually loops through 1983 forever. To achieve that she needs to create a tragedy to entertain Eua and reset the loop. It ends on her shattering the Matsuribayashi fragment and showing she has Witch eyes now.

I really like this. It solves a plot hole people have brought up of 'Why didn't Gou Satoko just loop constantly to be with Rika forever'. That's now her goal, it's not about loving studying anymore. It makes sense as a motive: Satoko is very obviously extremely insane now, which makes perfect sense given the situation, and she knows she has to entertain Eua for the deal to work. It also confirms that Satoko previous worlds were indeed basically just simulations/dreams and the 'real' loops are going to be the ones she creates for Eua and us to watch. It also sets up the stakes, Satoko is now both the villain and someone Rika needs to save because she's more clearly a victim. Unlike in Sotsu where she was just mega-evil all the time.

The only big question left is how Looper-Rika got into this.

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, this is definitely way more interesting than just The Same Episodes You Just Saw But With Maybe One Difference. It's worth it for the stuff with Satoshi alone.

Really makes me wonder what happened during the production of Sotsu, like did they have something else planned that skewed closer to what Meguri is doing or if Sotsu was what they planned the whole time? It just sucks because there was so much detail and energy put in to Gou that it felt like they had more planned than just reusing most of the same episodes again. A drastic budget cut between seasons wouldn't surprise me.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if a budget cut or covid caused them to have to scale back the idea. There were some stuff set up in Gou that just didn't pay off at all, making me think of some drastic re-writes. In particular Satoko getting very emotional when killing Rika and in Sotsu that scene happens off-screen and Satoko didn't give a poo poo, it was all an act. Or Keiichi and Rena seeming to be important but not contributing anything in the end. I feel that they also leaned intentionally into the memes about Teppei and studying after Gou, suggesting rewrites. And the sheer amount of lazily re-used scenes was absolutely terrible, no way they went into this thinking that was a good idea.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Feb 26, 2022

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

What's a little weird for me is we've already seen Nekodamashi play out pretty much as it did in the anime. Satoko is clearly shown trying to make Rika decide to stay in Hinamizawa and allows time to move forward once she believes she has won. This doesn't make a lot of sense given the previous part showed us scenarios where she did convince Rika to stay but tragedies occurred anyway. Something has to happen to make Satoko change her goal and to make her believe that she can avert tragedy.

I do hope we do ultimately get some insight from Ryukishi on why the manga ended up so different from the anime. It's possible the anime screenwriter just went way off from the original outline but nothing that's been said in interviews suggests that was the case. The manga seems to be addressing a lot of things that people specifically complained about which makes me think it's more likely that it was rewritten based on the feedback the anime received.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

J-Spot posted:

What's a little weird for me is we've already seen Nekodamashi play out pretty much as it did in the anime. Satoko is clearly shown trying to make Rika decide to stay in Hinamizawa and allows time to move forward once she believes she has won. This doesn't make a lot of sense given the previous part showed us scenarios where she did convince Rika to stay but tragedies occurred anyway. Something has to happen to make Satoko change her goal and to make her believe that she can avert tragedy.

It's probably because of the arc where she tried to make Keichi her new nii-nii. She starts thinking that even if tragedy is fated to happen to Rika and Satoshi, she can still have him and maybe that reawakens some hope for her. But then he chooses to go save Rika, "dies" and she goes back to trying to make Rika stay with her. She switches things up immediately after that arc, which is never explained in the anime but would make sense here.

We could get a reverse of the anime scene where Human and Witch Satoko's fight but this time the Human one wins and she starts trying to create a happy ending again. By.... brutally torturing Rika. Ok, its not a perfect theory.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The manga is still progressing in some really interesting ways: Rena actually decides not to kill Rina since this time Rina is able to back out of the con and explain things fully to her before anything drastic happens. Rena then has a vision of herself killing Rina when she catches Keichi reading the magazine at the dump and wonders wtf just happened. Notably, Satoko hasn't injected her yet which is presumably why Rina survived (though this does show that Rena is fully capable of murder even without HS, lol).

Meanwhile, Satoko and Rika are working on their plans and in an extreme case of irony unknowingly team up to completely gently caress over Takano. Rika explains everything to Tomitake so he has back-up when Takano tries to kill him and Satoko disorients the whole Mountain Dog squad with firecrackers long enough for the tables to be turned on them. She manages to steal the virus syringe right out of Takano's hand, who understandably has no clue what the gently caress is happening.

I like this a lot. Rika is actually being proactive for once and using her knowledge to eliminate the most suspicious person immediately. Meanwhile, Satoko doesn't have a billion years of prep-time in this version so she's thinking on her feet and taking risks. She hasn't worked out how steal the virus from the clinic yet and can't brute-force things like Sotsatoko could, but presumably she is going to work out an easier way to get it in later loops. I'm not sure where the Rena thing is going, but hopefully it is going somewhere compared to the big nothing she got to do in Sotsu.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 22:27 on May 22, 2022

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So like is this manga actually good or is it just better than Sotsu?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

It definitely is better but I don't know if I would recommend it to anyone who wasn't interested in WTC stuff already. If you were interested in Sotsu because of the set up then I'd say read it, it's so far managing to deliver on the premise.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

The manga is better in certain areas but I feel like it has its own problems. Satoko's heel turn is more abrupt and makes even less sense with the way things are presented here. She's not obsessed with Rika like she was in the anime, she's just trying to find a happy ending. She ends up stuck in a situation where no matter how many loops she goes through some sort of tragedy occurs usually involving Rika or Satoshi dying. Eventually she gives becomes so broken and dejected that she gives up and decides she just wants to live out her childhood forever. That makes enough sense but now she is also suddenly evil for no reason and wants to torture Rika forever. She doesn't have the resentment toward Rika she had in the anime, she's just doing it because she think Eua will find it funny.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://twitter.com/livedoornews/status/1538175955545505793

Hogama fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Looking forward to that Furude girl's dancing!