Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The first few episodes mostly felt like straight comedy. I was definitely less interested after it started being more of an idol show after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i went into it not really knowing what it was, which was a good approach too

i remember liking the delinquent/biker girl's episode a lot which was in the back half i think

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It changed its idol show goofing around to sad girl ratio, and that's a bit of a shame.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The first few episodes mostly felt like straight comedy. I was definitely less interested after it started being more of an idol show after that.

I've never seen an idol show before ZLS, so I don't really know how I would compare it to something like Love Live or Aikatsu; how are they different?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Willo567 posted:

I've never seen an idol show before ZLS, so I don't really know how I would compare it to something like Love Live or Aikatsu; how are they different?

They're not

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Time for a winter thread.

(What I hope to watch this year:)

o Yuru Camp (Seasons 1 and 2)
o Attack on Titan (S2-S4)
o Slime Isekai S2
o Re Zero S2
o Mushishi (again)
o Heavens Feel Movie 3
o Demon Slayer Movie 1
o Kakegurui S2
o Ancient Magus Bride
o Mob Psycho S2
o Boku no Hero S4
o Monogataris after Nise
o Tatami Galaxy
o Made in Abyss Film
o Konosuba Film
o Spider Isekai show
o Beastars

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Willo567 posted:

Love Live is structured around school events rather than ZLS's tourist promotions. There are no other substantial differences.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Willo567 posted:

aikatsu has more and funnier jokes, love live has better character animation and a bit more drama. zombieland's humor gets a bit darker and mean spirited in places but not substantially so.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 1, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

top 5 aikatsu stars episodes:

5: the one thats an extended stardust memory riff including a shot where one of them just reenacts the solomon i have returned scene
4: the one where it cuts to two college-aged guys slowly eating dinner and one of them turns to the other and goes 'you'll make a good wife someday' and the camera hangs on them for a solid twenty seconds
3: the one where lily has a fever dream where everyone dies heroically
2: the one where we learn about the history of sheep shearing competitions in new zealand
1: the one where mahiru is depressed so she goes out into the woods and meets a forest spirit that teachers her how to break rocks with her bare hands and this helps her be a better idol

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You say that like idol concerts where they break rocks with their bare hands wouldn't own.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Shows I kept up with this season, in approximate order of how much I enjoyed them:

Akudama Drive: Would have been my AOTY if Eizouken hadn't happened. Great plot that never runs out of steam, setting that makes up for what it lacks in originality with sheer style, and a cast of characters that, while not exactly likeable, still all managed to have a solid arc with a satisfying resolution.

Haikyuu!!: Has its concept down to a science at this point, with another rock-solid season solidifying its position as one of the most consistently enjoyable and exciting sports shows ever.

Golden Kamuy S3: Felt somewhat aimless at times, but the golden triangle of shonen treasure hunt + neat Ainu facts + dick jokes was as strong as ever. Looking forward to the next season.

Talentless Nana: Interesting concept and solid execution. Strong pacing with almost every episode ending on a cliffhanger, and surprisingly funny considering the plot. Shame about that ending though.

Jujutsu Kaisen: Not particularly original, and the pacing is kind of all over the place, but a confident, energetic execution and a likeable cast of characters are enough to keep me watching.

Love Live! Nijigasaki: Somewhat fresh take on the LL concept. Cast of characters doesn't feel as memorable as OG LL or Sunshine yet, maybe a second season can help flesh them out a bit.

Adachi & Shimamura: Kind of lost me in the second half, Adachi turning into a needy lovestruck mess ruined the enjoyable character dynamics of the first few episodes. Still cute though.

Still watching:

Kami-sama ni Natta Hi: Keep putting off watching the finale, because I know I will hate it and I know I'll probably cry. Didn't know who Jun Maede was before this, will probably avoid his work from now.

Attack on Titan: Ambitious start to the final season, if nothing else. I keep losing track of the plot, and the whole Eldian thing is problematic for obvious reasons, but I can't say I'm not intrigued.

D4DJ: Fun idol-adjecent show that scratches the same itch as Bang Dream.

Might still check out Sleepy Princess.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked the first two Love Live series but for some reason Nijigasaki just bored me to tears and even halfway through the show I could barely recognize any of the characters. Perhaps I've just had enough Love Live.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chumbler posted:

You say that like idol concerts where they break rocks with their bare hands wouldn't own.

It's not all that impressive, they're just a light rock group after all.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My only issue with Talentless Nana is I wanted something slightly more Danganronpa/Sexy Brutale-esque, albeit I know this would've required a much longer season to pace it right. Basically I would've liked more episodes that involve Nana doing prep work, being friendlier to a much larger number of people in the beginning to learn their habits and routines before doing what she does. I also would've liked it if it was 2-3 episodes before we switch perspectives.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

cave emperor posted:

Might still check out Sleepy Princess.

Dooooooo iiiiiiitttt!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OH SHI-

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/1345021983696723973
THAT GIRL'S NOT JUST CUTE IS GETTING AN ANIME!!

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Is she cute?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Winter thread when? Two of the internet only series have already started airing.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xelkelvos posted:

Winter thread when? Two of the internet only series have already started airing.

Either tonight or tomorrow morning depending on how tired I get this evening.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is she cute?
She is but also an alpha.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Is she cute?
Shikimori-san/That Girl's Not Just Cute is legit among the cutest manga heroines/main characters I've read about in the past 2 years and the fact that she's also badass to the max only adds to her cuteness.

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 3, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdtGYWvWP8

I do like the MC's voice

"Oh Jesus!"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pretty sure they took a lot of her motions and poses straight from the manga, good move.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Aoi Yuuki is the best.

Also I am so incredibly excited for this. I even held off on continuing the manga for the anime!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Aoi Yuuki's doing enough to carry half the show by herself IMO, and the CG's reasonably solid IMO, even if I wish Spider-chan was a little more expressive. Should be fun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the basic format for half the story is kumoko babbling to herself so that seiyuu is gonna have to carry the show

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the basic format for half the story is kumoko babbling to herself so that seiyuu is gonna have to carry the show

Pretty much. And Aoi Yuuki is pretty much the right person, I could listen to her go on for hours.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

The only reason I watched Youjo Senki/Tanya the Evil was because Aoi Yuuki carried that show. So yeah I'm thinking she's going to be fine.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Raenir Salazar posted:

Aoi Yuuki is the best.

Also I am so incredibly excited for this. I even held off on continuing the manga for the anime!

Judging from the poster of the show we get to see my favorite character in the series. Likely near the end, so I'm pretty excited about that too.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Three days till Winter Season big hitters air. No sign of thread. Not making it myself. :colbert:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
chill out dude

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Oh! Father des ka?

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Grouchio posted:

Three days till Winter Season big hitters air. No sign of thread. Not making it myself. :colbert:

Why are you like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Goodbye Autumn 2020...

...and hello Winter 2020!