Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KungFu Grip posted:

ratings poison Roman

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

KungFu Grip posted:

How does he think ratings poison Roman is a draw lol

big dawg is a draw, brother

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

Smackdown ratings stabilized and slightly increased when he returned.

I mean, by that logic Paul Heyman is the draw.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, by that logic Paul Heyman is the draw.

I would credit the main eventer who came back when ratings rebounded vs his manager, but that's just me. Same as I would credit Bayley and Sasha's matches for the two spikes in recent weeks and not Roman.

Envisioned
Dec 31, 2007

Hasta la Sunset Vista, baby
I guess you could also make a case that Reigns is the top star during a period where the company continually posts record profits.

That case would require ignoring basically everything else about how they got those profits, but I could see a case being made.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

WOR Hall of Famer Lish Mode

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Envisioned posted:

I guess you could also make a case that Reigns is the top star during a period where the company continually posts record profits.

That case would require ignoring basically everything else about how they got those profits, but I could see a case being made.

I look forward to the next thirty years of Big Doggy voters ignoring his role in killing the territory because he was in cartoons

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Roman is absolutely not the one bringing in the record profits, its the brand and the blood money deals WWE makes, and the ratings have been slowly dropping for the years where he's been on top to the point where WWE is pulling "record lowest ratings". His chances much weaker than what Dave thinks unless he expects Roman to get in on peers voting him in as a locker room leader.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The bar for modern WWE is so loving low that "stabilized Smackdown ratings" is somehow an argument in Roman's favor

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

The bar for modern WWE is so loving low that "stabilized Smackdown ratings" is somehow an argument in Roman's favor

If the argument is that the brand is the only thing drawing the record profits (and it's mostly true) then to me, the brand is what draws the record low ratings, unless you have truly awful performers who continually show themselves to set record lows. There are definitely performers who turn off fans.

Roman on the other hand did seem to make a difference at house shows and does seem to help ratings. So if someone wants to say he's a positive for business, go for it. I am sure The Shield will be a point in favor for Mox when his case comes up, and people will minimize the bad parts of his WWE run, so I'm ok not blaming Roman for his booking.

I don't think he has a Hall of Fame career at this point and he may never get there if things keep spiraling, but I don't think he's a bad candidate.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It probably won't happen but it will be a travesty if Okada doesn't get voted in 100% of the ballots, and anybody who doesn't vote for him should be forbidden from ever being allowed to vote for anything :colbert:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

It probably won't happen but it will be a travesty if Okada doesn't get voted in 100% of the ballots, and anybody who doesn't vote for him should be forbidden from ever being allowed to vote for anything :colbert:

The real forbidden portal.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The "Okada is overrated" crowd is small but loud enough that he probably won't be unanimous (plus there are people who refuse to vote for active wrestlers no matter what they accomplished)

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i think okada gets in at 87%.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Okada's 2017 should have ended any and all overrated chat but people want to be haters. Only one man got into the Baseball Hall of Fame and somehow it wasn't Randy Johnson or Ken Griffey Jr.

If Ichiro Suzuki doesnt get it unanimously ...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Kobashi got 98% of the voite the year he went in which is still the highest % anyone has gotten. It's a travesty Kobashi didn't get a 100 but it's a good guideline on what to expect for Okada's totals

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Imagine being in the 2% who looked at Kenta Kobashi and said,"No. No this man is not a Hall of Famer."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Imagine being in the 2% who looked at Kenta Kobashi and said,"No. No this man is not a Hall of Famer."

I'm assuming it was people who thought "okay there's no way he isn't going in, I should give that vote to people less guaranteed to get in"

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
i was like "how did Kenta Kobashi not get in in on the inital HoF 1996" and checking it was because Kobashi was only 29.

Kenny Omega is older right now than Kobashi was when he did his legendary ROH appearances including Joe v Kobashi.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Whoever prevented Jeter from getting the unanimous HOF induction is a hero, a saint.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Dave basing his Hall of real sports HOF's is good for legitimacy but also comes with all the downfalls that real halls do have in terms of voting

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NienNunb posted:

Whoever prevented Jeter from getting the unanimous HOF induction is a hero, a saint.

Alex Rodriguez will always be better.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

jeter should have had a lower percentage than chipper jones

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

It's fascinating to look at who got on first ballot and who didn't. Kurt Angle got in first ballot in 04, but Tanahashi just barely missed the mark in 2012 before getting in the next year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Adam Dunn only got one vote a farce

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

I Before E posted:

It's fascinating to look at who got on first ballot and who didn't. Kurt Angle got in first ballot in 04, but Tanahashi just barely missed the mark in 2012 before getting in the next year.

Shawn Michaels is the biggest case of this as it took years for him to get in because hes a complete prick.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
It's wild to me you can get in the Worhof so early. '04 wasnt even half way through Angle's career.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Also, Sakuraba got in on the first ballot, which I'm glad happened but is also very funny compared to guys who still can't get in like Taue.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Reality Protester posted:

It's wild to me you can get in the Worhof so early. '04 wasnt even half way through Angle's career.

To be fair, Kurt Angle was loving phenomenally great basically right from the very start of his career.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Was Kurt a draw? To go in first ballot that soon after starting your career is wild.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NienNunb posted:

Was Kurt a draw? To go in first ballot that soon after starting your career is wild.

He did some good PPV numbers and the love triangle storyline was on the way to being big business before they squashed it. He was never what he could have been because he was so good at comedy (and that can make Vince go too far in one direction with you) but he was good for business and obviously an incredible worker in that 5 year run.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I've seen some arguing that the age of eligibility should be raised to 40 over this class, especially cause of Omega getting in and I really don't see it. I agree with Dave that you should be on the ballot while in the peak of your career especially with how quickly business can change. A good example would be Nakamura who had a hall of fame career in New Japan and is in. But if he had to wait till 40 we'd be looking at his WWE years and whelp he might not get in cause of them....

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

kurt went into the hof so quickly due to his outspoken white supremacist beliefs. every one was pissed and put his name down followed by "(sarcastically)" to show that they were highly against his inclusion

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I've seen some arguing that the age of eligibility should be raised to 40 over this class, especially cause of Omega getting in and I really don't see it. I agree with Dave that you should be on the ballot while in the peak of your career especially with how quickly business can change. A good example would be Nakamura who had a hall of fame career in New Japan and is in. But if he had to wait till 40 we'd be looking at his WWE years and whelp he might not get in cause of them....

I could see adding a minimum number of years in the business, but I agree that increasing the age limit isn't the best change they could make, and Kenny certainly isn't the example I'd use to argue for it. Angle, a guy who had been involved in professional wrestling for maybe 6 years by the time he was inducted, would be a more useful example of how having an age limit rather than a time in the business limit can lead to people working off an incomplete case. He's wrestled more years as a hall of famer than he had when he got in.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1329120421891829761

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My favorite was from an earlier thread where they were discussing the popularity of El Santo and Big Daddy. Soooo many Brits saying "Every adult in the UK knew who Big Daddy was. None of them had heard of El Santo."

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Davros1 posted:

My favorite was from an earlier thread where they were discussing the popularity of El Santo and Big Daddy. Soooo many Brits saying "Every adult in the UK knew who Big Daddy was. None of them had heard of El Santo."

I'm loving the "well actually" responses centering on how there was only two BBC channels back then and they didn't have commercials, so it's unfair to consider commercials.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Wrestling was mostly on ITV affiliates?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Am I missing something? These all look super clean

Edit. Wrong thread...kinda

Flowers for QAnon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 12, 2021