Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

I had a spooky mini-adventure today and I was gonna post it in hello & chat, but I thought, why not make a thread? this is with all due respect to chewbecca's "hair raising" thread, I feel like there's a place for a separate thread based on personal anecdotes.

a sunny morning gave way to an overcast afternoon, and since I was in the neighborhood of a recently-placed geocache I decided to go find it. the cache description was a little vague but promised something back in the woods with some relationship to the history of a nearby (rural) route, and an "interesting" journey to find it.

the coordinates for parking take you to a tiny post office in an extremely tiny "town," really just a handful of houses, a single store/gas station, a very small church, and a suitably atmospheric roadside graveyard where the tombstones rise up onto a small hill. the post office was closed, and at the back corner of the parking lot was a small former road, closed off by debris and leading into the forest. I parked and walked along this road for a ways until I found what, at least on the map, was a turnoff to a much, much older former road--in no condition you could take a vehicle on, overgrown with trees and brambles and rather difficult to figure out where exactly the roadbed used to be.

bushwhacking in the general direction my gps told me, and getting scratched up by brambles in the process, I eventually vaguely saw a structure through the trees (too far from ground zero to be the cache). this is what it was:

I dunno about you, but that abandoned forest house in blair witch project always creeped me out, and this place, though smaller, had a similar vibe. presumably some sort of driveway once led to it but where that might have been was a total mystery. the inside had the remains of an ancient spring bed and walls and floors full of holes.

I skirted this rather nervously (it's hunting season, you never know who or what might be occupying abandoned structures) and ventured deeper into the woods, the "road" being entirely theoretical at this point. after some time (probably not nearly as long as it felt) I saw another structure, a smaller one, and wondered if that could possibly be the location of the geocache. according to the gps, it definitely was, so I inched closer, until I found this:

(it's a quite old outhouse lol, the door is still padlocked on the other side. I guess the idea is that people traveling along the roadway would use this as a pit stop.)

the geocache is nearby, just outside the frame. slenderman is presumably just outside the frame as well, unless I haven't spotted him in the picture. I was just as happy to get back to the car, and deffo wouldn't have wanted to be around here in the fading light!

any other yobbers have spooky experiences to share?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA

#mood
saw a UFO with my dad and little brother a year before the predator drone was revealed to the public. we saw a triangle of lights fly into view, rotate in place, ascend, then fly back out of view. this was in rural new england, far from any airfields, so we figure the military chose this spot to practice flying experimental aircraft.

the weirder thing is, he's got all these stories about "hollow mountains" in the area. army bases I guess?

crimes

Lil Swamp Booger Baby

Manifisto posted:

I had a spooky mini-adventure today and I was gonna post it in hello & chat, but I thought, why not make a thread? this is with all due respect to chewbecca's "hair raising" thread, I feel like there's a place for a separate thread based on personal anecdotes.

a sunny morning gave way to an overcast afternoon, and since I was in the neighborhood of a recently-placed geocache I decided to go find it. the cache description was a little vague but promised something back in the woods with some relationship to the history of a nearby (rural) route, and an "interesting" journey to find it.

the coordinates for parking take you to a tiny post office in an extremely tiny "town," really just a handful of houses, a single store/gas station, a very small church, and a suitably atmospheric roadside graveyard where the tombstones rise up onto a small hill. the post office was closed, and at the back corner of the parking lot was a small former road, closed off by debris and leading into the forest. I parked and walked along this road for a ways until I found what, at least on the map, was a turnoff to a much, much older former road--in no condition you could take a vehicle on, overgrown with trees and brambles and rather difficult to figure out where exactly the roadbed used to be.

bushwhacking in the general direction my gps told me, and getting scratched up by brambles in the process, I eventually vaguely saw a structure through the trees (too far from ground zero to be the cache). this is what it was:

I dunno about you, but that abandoned forest house in blair witch project always creeped me out, and this place, though smaller, had a similar vibe. presumably some sort of driveway once led to it but where that might have been was a total mystery. the inside had the remains of an ancient spring bed and walls and floors full of holes.

I skirted this rather nervously (it's hunting season, you never know who or what might be occupying abandoned structures) and ventured deeper into the woods, the "road" being entirely theoretical at this point. after some time (probably not nearly as long as it felt) I saw another structure, a smaller one, and wondered if that could possibly be the location of the geocache. according to the gps, it definitely was, so I inched closer, until I found this:

(it's a quite old outhouse lol, the door is still padlocked on the other side. I guess the idea is that people traveling along the roadway would use this as a pit stop.)

the geocache is nearby, just outside the frame. slenderman is presumably just outside the frame as well, unless I haven't spotted him in the picture. I was just as happy to get back to the car, and deffo wouldn't have wanted to be around here in the fading light!

The Love Shack has seen better days, I mutter as I head back down the Atlanta highway.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The Love Shack has seen better days, I mutter as I head back down the Atlanta highway.

lol

ty nesamdoom!

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
I don't know how spooky this is, but as a child one night I got up while everyone else was sleeping and I watched TV. I think I was watching PBS, and there was some show on that had a lady and a stuffed monkey behind what seemed to be a news desk.

She would say math problems and if I didn't say anything she would say the monkey got it right, but if I said the right answer aloud, she would say good job. I remember just thinking that the fact that it lined up to whether I said the right answer or not was just a coincidence.

Then the show switched to another segment, it was three people and they were in haunted house. I remember that their actions and motions were really goofy, like it wasn't supposed to be scary, it was supposed to be funny. But, little me was way too afraid of ghosts to watch anything at night related to ghosts, so I got really scared and turned off the TV and went back to bed.

I think about this night occasionally, and I have no idea if it was a dream or if it was a show I'd never seen before or what. I try to google for it occasionally, thinking that the segment with the woman and monkey would be easier to find than the haunted house one, but I've never figured it out.

Gross Dude fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 6, 2020

Manifisto

good job with that spooky recollection!

*eep* *oop*

quiet mr. bojangles, you said four people in the haunted house but one of them wasn't a person

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

oh hell ya, creepy abandoned woods cabin

i'm assuming that's someones old hunting cabin, we found one on top of a super steep and isolated hill in college when friends and i were wandering around stoned in the woods. just enough room for a few bunks and a small table and still had a few old tin utensils and empty cans but just so strange to find one thats obviously been out of use for so long that the doors and windows are gone.

Jinh

The other night around 11 pm I heard a single loud knock on the front door. Not a fist on wood sound, but the actual metal loop knocker rapping once. Clear and unmistakeable.

I live alone, and was not expecting guests at all. I hadn't ordered food or anything. The road I reside on is a busy highway, which keeps door-to-door types away. So I was wary.

The motion sensor light out front wasn't set off. It is a piece of junk that ignores people in preference to triggering anytime it sees a cloud it doesn't like, so that's not unusual. I peeked through the small window at the top of the door. No headlights out front, nothing illuminated by the solitary streetlight. . So I opened the door nonchalantly, wide and welcoming. What can I say, I want to be a good neighbor. Maybe the older lady next door was having some kind of trouble.

Nothing. Now I have played a couple games of Knock-Knock-Zoom-Zoom or Ding-Dong-Ditch or whatever you call it when I was a dumb kid, and this called those memories to mind, but there's no kids living nearby. I wish I would have heard laughter fading in the distance, but instead I just heard mosquitos buzzing and frogs croaking. In my head the echo of the knocker played on repeat, I felt like I was going mad, so I had to break the tension I felt.

I stepped out, mostly closed the door behind me to keep mosquitos from coming in, and broke the silence, "Hello...?"

There was no reply as I stood on the front steps looking either way. I let out a deep sigh and turned to head back in.

Less than a foot from my face, an enormous frog the size of my fist sat perched on my door knocker.

Manifisto

Jinh posted:

The other night around 11 pm I heard a single loud knock on the front door. Not a fist on wood sound, but the actual metal loop knocker rapping once. Clear and unmistakeable.

I live alone, and was not expecting guests at all. I hadn't ordered food or anything. The road I reside on is a busy highway, which keeps door-to-door types away. So I was wary.

The motion sensor light out front wasn't set off. It is a piece of junk that ignores people in preference to triggering anytime it sees a cloud it doesn't like, so that's not unusual. I peeked through the small window at the top of the door. No headlights out front, nothing illuminated by the solitary streetlight. . So I opened the door nonchalantly, wide and welcoming. What can I say, I want to be a good neighbor. Maybe the older lady next door was having some kind of trouble.

Nothing. Now I have played a couple games of Knock-Knock-Zoom-Zoom or Ding-Dong-Ditch or whatever you call it when I was a dumb kid, and this called those memories to mind, but there's no kids living nearby. I wish I would have heard laughter fading in the distance, but instead I just heard mosquitos buzzing and frogs croaking. In my head the echo of the knocker played on repeat, I felt like I was going mad, so I had to break the tension I felt.

I stepped out, mostly closed the door behind me to keep mosquitos from coming in, and broke the silence, "Hello...?"

There was no reply as I stood on the front steps looking either way. I let out a deep sigh and turned to head back in.

Less than a foot from my face, an enormous frog the size of my fist sat perched on my door knocker.

:frogsiren: :getin: great story, perfect for the thread!

Evil Bob

've lived a thousand times. I found out what it means to be GBS.
In my old apartment the bedroom light would sometimes turn on on its own. I always felt like there was a presence in that building but it never felt malevolent.

In my current house one night I woke up certain that I heard someone lightly playing the toms on my drums down stairs. I was so certain that I literally went down stairs to check, but no one was there.

:spooky:

Manifisto

Evil Bob posted:

In my old apartment the bedroom light would sometimes turn on on its own. I always felt like there was a presence in that building but it never felt malevolent.

In my current house one night I woke up certain that I heard someone lightly playing the toms on my drums down stairs. I was so certain that I literally went down stairs to check, but no one was there.

:spooky:

for most of my life I have occasionally had sleep paralysis hallucinations right when I'm waking up. sometimes it takes the form of seeing things, I've seen big spiders scuttling away from me and snakes a couple of times. one that I've had recently (as well as a bunch of other times) is hearing someone say my name, distinctly. sometimes it's a male voice, sometimes it's a female voice. knowing the name for the phenomenon makes it no less weird.

ty nesamdoom!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Ok well the house I grew up in as a kid was p old, like from the 1950s. Growing up my brother, my mum and I all had weird experiences but I had the worst.

There was a ghost girl who was at my childhood home. She first appeared to me when I was maybe 12. My mum later verified she had the same experiences with this ghost girl moving to the house at 17 after she got married, and my brother saw her too at my door (we all only talked about it together years later). The house itself always had a weird energy and two of my three cousins refused to sleep over cos they said it scared them.

Examples of stuff which would happen included, the temperature dropping dramatically to freezing even on hot summer nights, footsteps running up and down the hallway, whispers and voices (only a single voice) and her standing in my doorway. When that happened it would only be momentary and I'd lie there convincing myself I imagined it. Later my mum and brother both verified they'd seen her, and always at my doorway (thanks mum!)

The last time I experienced anything I was maybe 14 or 15, and home alone during the day. I was sitting in the living room and I heard the familiar running down up and down the hallway but this time it was loud (and it was rare in the day anyway). It was almost like she was playing hide and seek, she was running super fast and it felt like she was teasing me, like she wanted me to freak out (so job well done to her I guess). It felt malevolent, or at least spiteful. Then in this old fibro house in spring/summer the temperature dropped substantially so that I was physically shaking from the cold (and probably from fear too). The keyboard on the computer in my parents room started typing SO LOUD and the computer started resetting over and over again (and I did not go look in that room cos no thank you). The dust in the air kind of suspended for a second and I sat on the lounge deathly still and just watched where the sound was coming from, from the running footsteps going back and forth. Eventually I ran tf out of that house, freezing cold, sweating and terrified. I remember getting outside and it was warm. I ran all the way to her work at a local shopping centre and hung out there until she finished work.

I drew this horrible phone/jspaint diagram of the house. The blue is the window to the street, I was on the couch under it. Black is walls and pink is the route she was running, so I could hear her behind the walls but when she'd get to the doorways I wouldn't see her, she'd run the other way.

After that it felt like she was gone. The house had no energy, just a house. Do yeah, idk v:confused:v

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

Ok well the house I grew up in as a kid was p old, like from the 1950s. Growing up my brother, my mum and I all had weird experiences but I had the worst.

There was a ghost girl who was at my childhood home. She first appeared to me when I was maybe 12. My mum later verified she had the same experiences with this ghost girl moving to the house at 17 after she got married, and my brother saw her too at my door (we all only talked about it together years later). The house itself always had a weird energy and two of my three cousins refused to sleep over cos they said it scared them.

Examples of stuff which would happen included, the temperature dropping dramatically to freezing even on hot summer nights, footsteps running up and down the hallway, whispers and voices (only a single voice) and her standing in my doorway. When that happened it would only be momentary and I'd lie there convincing myself I imagined it. Later my mum and brother both verified they'd seen her, and always at my doorway (thanks mum!)

The last time I experienced anything I was maybe 14 or 15, and home alone during the day. I was sitting in the living room and I heard the familiar running down up and down the hallway but this time it was loud (and it was rare in the day anyway). It was almost like she was playing hide and seek, she was running super fast and it felt like she was teasing me, like she wanted me to freak out (so job well done to her I guess). It felt malevolent, or at least spiteful. Then in this old fibro house in spring/summer the temperature dropped substantially so that I was physically shaking from the cold (and probably from fear too). The keyboard on the computer in my parents room started typing SO LOUD and the computer started resetting over and over again (and I did not go look in that room cos no thank you). The dust in the air kind of suspended for a second and I sat on the lounge deathly still and just watched where the sound was coming from, from the running footsteps going back and forth. Eventually I ran tf out of that house, freezing cold, sweating and terrified. I remember getting outside and it was warm. I ran all the way to her work at a local shopping centre and hung out there until she finished work.

I drew this horrible phone/jspaint diagram of the house. The blue is the window to the street, I was on the couch under it. Black is walls and pink is the route she was running, so I could hear her behind the walls but when she'd get to the doorways I wouldn't see her, she'd run the other way.

After that it felt like she was gone. The house had no energy, just a house. Do yeah, idk v:confused:v

that's a great story . . . in retrospect. living it must have been rather terrifying!

ty nesamdoom!

Chewbecca

Just chillin' : )
Yeah I hated being home alone, hated the nighttime. It was built I think in the 1950s or 40s and I always meant to look up what might have happened there but I didn't know where to look

If I do I'll let you know. Whatever it was, it wasn't good

Thanks to Heather Papps for sweet sig, click for more hot lady action

sigs by luvcow and Khanstant.
Click on Spoonville for a neat surprise

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Chewbecca posted:

Yeah I hated being home alone, hated the nighttime. It was built I think in the 1950s or 40s and I always meant to look up what might have happened there but I didn't know where to look

If I do I'll let you know. Whatever it was, it wasn't good

maybe someone used a coupon there, or entered into some kind of deal (with/without the devil, doesn't really matter)

ty nesamdoom!