Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

chiasaur11 posted:

Interesting how much people can differ on these things.

I liked it too, but I felt like it wasn't my favorite show of its season (Odd Taxi) or even my favorite show where eccentric mech pilots fought kaiju (Dynazenon).

Mind saying some of what pushed it to the top for you? I can see a lot of good things about Singular point, but none of them felt like Best Anime of the Decade good things to me.

Gonna put my caveats up front that I haven't been watching as much anime these days as I'd like so I'm certainly missing good shows (I've been meaning to watching Dynazenon, for example) and that this is all my personal opinion, etc etc... But I felt that G: SP both did an awful lot right that many shows flub on and also did things uncommon in anime (that I watch) which I personally appreciate.

It's a very tightly plotted story with strong pacing that uses every part of its 13 episode length. All the characters felt fully realized, and everyone basically behave intelligently throughout — no one every had to carry an idiot ball. There's a time travel mystery which makes sense, and which me and my fam were able to (mostly) sus out through following the logic of the show. It had a really solid aesthetic and good animation. It never felt like they had to stretch the budget (some jank CGI notwithstanding).

And then there's the stuff that just appeals to me on a personal level, such as:
  • The young leads all being in there mid-20s.
  • The young leads being vaguely neuroatypical, and bonding/saving the world through their shared interest in theoretical physics.
  • Bonzi Buddy as second author on a journal article.
  • Multiple prominent characters are women.
  • A very good skull.
  • Pterodactyls.
  • Jank robots.
  • An incredible density of mad scientists, including of the good, evil, and dad varieties.
  • Many cool old machines.
  • That bonkers scene from Totally Spies played extremely straight and representing an existentialist threat.
  • And I guess Godzilla is there, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Absolutely loved the series, even a lot of it was "I don't really understand it but I'm on the edge of my seat anyway".
only thing I'd have really liked was a last episode sort of cool down as these characters get a chance to chill and talk with each other as the world rebuilds
but
The stinger implies a second season is happening so I'm fine with it. I really hope a second season brings on the same writer and staff so they can knock it out of the park again

Also there needed to be significantly more pink haired otoki member.

Also I wish they'd have put subs on screen for all the text-only bits. I'm sure most of the twitter timeline stuff was just people going "man what the hell" but it'd be nice; same with the part where she scrolls through the website's profiles.

Schwarzwald posted:

That bonkers scene from Totally Spies played extremely straight and representing an existentialist threat.

Oh thank god it wasn't just me who thought the same exact thing and had to pause to laugh.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rannum posted:

The stinger implies a second season is happening so I'm fine with it. I really hope a second season brings on the same writer and staff so they can knock it out of the park again

I'd love a second season but to be honest I'd also be perfectly satisfied with Prof. Ashihara conquering the Earth with his god(zilla)-machine just being the canon end of the series.

rannum posted:

Also there needed to be significantly more pink haired otoki member.

Absolutely. It's the one missed shot of the show.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Schwarzwald posted:

That bonkers scene from Totally Spies played extremely straight and representing an existentialist threat.
What scene?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Sindai posted:

What scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx_T7kasdwM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's funny, because when Pelops II divided into multiple alternate future selves, I kept thinking of an episode of Duckman.

I just finished a rewatch yesterday (dub first, sub second), mostly to see if it would help with understanding the ending. And I think I get it!

Obviously people have catalogue all the Toho easter eggs in the series, especially the end credits. But has anybody managed to put together all the literary references throughout the series?