Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Speaking on some mutual aid work I've helped done or worked with during Inauguration Week my DSA chapter did coalition work with our local John Brown Gun Club and Pittsburgh Mutual Aid when we realized "Yeah doing a rally downtown would be unsafe and unwise"
https://twitter.com/SteelCityJBGC/status/1353779989678858241

More specific to my chapter we've been stocking this pantry for over 3 years and recently raised 1,000$ for it.
https://twitter.com/SabrinaSpiher/status/1357411617701572608
We have thought of doing a free community fridge, but location is an issue; a really good idea from the person behind the pantry is that we could ask our members to each make a thing of soup and then host a day at our HQ to give out free soup while also utilizing the fridges at our HQ to give folks milk, meat, cheese, etc.
It might be worth seeing if they are any local chicken coops and smaller community gardens you can partner with. I've worked with a couple that have tried to do free egg Saturdays or create very low-level CSAs, but could definitely use help in letting people know.

I am also trying to build more library books for my school again with a focus on horror. If anyone wants to donate, a cruel billionaire will match half your donation to revitalize his public image.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

Sorry if this goes against thread rules, I’ll take the probe or whatever.

I’m trying to help an Afghan family apply for Humanitarian parole to the US while their visa applications complete. The head of the family briefly worked for the US as a translator, but is currently in danger because of him having a shop on a NATO controlled post in Kabul between 2015 and the fall of the city in August. His shop and home was looted and he’s currently bouncing from house to house, staying with various friends and family trying to avoid groups looking for collaborators or people that just did business with Coalition forces, so this is a time sensitive thing we’re trying to do.

I’ve gotten pretty much everything they need together, but I’m still trying to find them someone willing to volunteer to make sure they will not become a public charge on coming to the US via a [url= https://www.uscis.gov/i-134]I-134 Form[/url]. I would do it, but I’m already sponsoring an Afghan family of 5 and I’m worried about taking on more before their parole application in approved.

If this is something that you would consider doing then please send me a PM. More than ne person can do this and that would probably be preferred to spread out the load if the family actually needed help after arriving.

There isn’t a guarantee that any financial help would be needed and the next step to having the parole package approved would be to get in contact with charities in the US to set up a place and means for the family to live so there is a good chance that they would have it covered. That said this is a signed form that will legally obligate you to provide financial support if needed so don’t volunteer if you aren’t sure you can afford it.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hey folks,

There's a pretty good deep canvass skills training led by abolitionist organizers in Minneapolis (where I do not live) that may be of interest to you: https://www.mobilize.us/peoplesaction/event/376362/

It involves setting you up to phonebank for this specific charter amendment that provides more statutory room to divest from policing and invest in alternatives, but it will also train you on some skills that I think will be helpful in other campaigns. There is apparently strong empirical evidence for the efficacy of this approach.

Also, great OP! I really like the way you've synthesized a lot of information about how people can get involved in organizing outside of elections. In my community, there has been to some degree a seamless transition in how we are directing our efforts from direct actions during the uprising last summer, to shaping the agenda of a local commission (that was designed to do nothing, but we against all odds made to do something), to lobbying councilors to create a new Department of Community Care and adequately fund it while continuing to defund the police, to running candidates against them.

So for me to some extent the "no electoralism" line in the OP feels a bit awkward and inconsonant with my recent political experiences, but I'm somewhat sympathetic to it nevertheless.

shwinnebego fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 22, 2021

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've never been on the set up side of a gofundme, so I'm looking for some pointers if anyone has any experience in this. My friend was fired illegally (probably discrimination after she revealed she is autistic, can't prove it though) and is in a rough spot until she can find a new job. She's been through a lot in the last few months including catching covid while being at home and vaccinated, as well as some absurdly bad luck with other health issues. She has two 5 years old twins that I want to help get out of their abusive grandmother's hands asap so if I could help her out and find her own financial footing I think she could stop relying on her mom and they would all be much happier.

Anyway the real question here is how to promote/spread the message/present the story in a compelling way to try and get at least a few dollars for her? I have some kinda well off family members that might be able to give, but they are pretty conservative so I have a hard time figuring out what motivates them to give to charity sometimes so I can't count on them 100%. Any thoughts/experiences here would be appreciated.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dracula Factory posted:

I've never been on the set up side of a gofundme, so I'm looking for some pointers if anyone has any experience in this. My friend was fired illegally (probably discrimination after she revealed she is autistic, can't prove it though) and is in a rough spot until she can find a new job. She's been through a lot in the last few months including catching covid while being at home and vaccinated, as well as some absurdly bad luck with other health issues. She has two 5 years old twins that I want to help get out of their abusive grandmother's hands asap so if I could help her out and find her own financial footing I think she could stop relying on her mom and they would all be much happier.

Anyway the real question here is how to promote/spread the message/present the story in a compelling way to try and get at least a few dollars for her? I have some kinda well off family members that might be able to give, but they are pretty conservative so I have a hard time figuring out what motivates them to give to charity sometimes so I can't count on them 100%. Any thoughts/experiences here would be appreciated.

Facebook, target disability groups, r/autism maybe? You can plug it in communities of people who understand the problem moreso than randos. Even if a few people drop a few dollars or carry the message further it's beneficial.

Good luck

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I recommend promoting it with the #ActuallyAutistic tag on Twitter. Normally autistics don't like non-autistic people using it, but I think the community would make an exception for helping one of our own get autonomy.

e: VVV carry on neurogoon :thumbsup: VVV

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 15, 2021

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm autistic myself, and one of her boys is too, so I think that would be pretty acceptable and that's not a bad idea at all, I didn't think of that angle before. She's also been a lot more accepting of her mind and her way of thinking recently as we've been bonding over similar experiences, so I think that embracing it could even help further her confidence in that area which of course will help right alongside cash. Thanks for that tip! I'm gonna keep looking around for more ideas.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Does anyone know what is involved with procuring Narcan? Im in South Carolina, if it matters (we passed a super cool & awesome law that if you go to the ER for an OD you get put on a list for life but that's unrelated to why I wanna get some).

My plan is to buy some and leave it at strategic spots (homeless shelters, AA clubhouses, etc). Its expensive, Costco quoted me $163 for a 2-pack out of pocket. My insurance might cover it but I'm worried that this would be a bad thing to have in my medical history?

The pharmacies say that while its technically OTC, they need me to come in in person and fill out some forms so that there is a "paper trail" (CVS strongly advised that I get a prescription to avoid this tho again Im worried about having it in my med history).

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Not sure, but using your insurance and distributing it is insurance fraud...
I'm not going to tell you not to take that risk, but it's a big risk.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

The Scientist posted:

Does anyone know what is involved with procuring Narcan? Im in South Carolina, if it matters (we passed a super cool & awesome law that if you go to the ER for an OD you get put on a list for life but that's unrelated to why I wanna get some).

My plan is to buy some and leave it at strategic spots (homeless shelters, AA clubhouses, etc). Its expensive, Costco quoted me $163 for a 2-pack out of pocket. My insurance might cover it but I'm worried that this would be a bad thing to have in my medical history?

The pharmacies say that while its technically OTC, they need me to come in in person and fill out some forms so that there is a "paper trail" (CVS strongly advised that I get a prescription to avoid this tho again Im worried about having it in my med history).

It's (stupid) federal law that Narcan requires a prescription. Some states have a "prescription" that applies over the counter to anyone that wants one, some can put you in contact with doctors to prescribe it, and some you're out of loving luck. The real bitch is that aid groups can't get group discounts and need to get prescriptions for every person they want to help.

quote:

All 50 states allow individuals to buy naloxone at the pharmacy without a prescription. States don't have the authority to designate it as an over-the-counter medication, but they've created workarounds — such as a state health official writing one prescription that can be used for every resident. But these workarounds don't apply to organizations that purchase naloxone in bulk from drugmakers.

When a hospital, harm-reduction group or any other organization orders naloxone from pharmaceutical companies, the companies are required to treat naloxone the way the federal government sees it: as a prescription medication, Dasgupta said. As a result, the companies impose a series of requirements on buyers

https://www.npr.org/sections/health...advocates-argue

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Bummer. I will try to figure out a solution and maybe email some policiticians

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
There are likely to be several forms of model legislation available from advocacy groups on this; it will have been the basis for state policy where it's more readily available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Hello all! I recently completed my Tabletop RPG, DEAD IN THE WEST! It was funded on Kickstarter a while back, and earlier this year all the physical copies for backers finally shipped after a long delay due to COVID.

I have not been in a great position financially the last few months, as my job wasn’t really able to survive COVID. I’m less worried about myself than I am my parents, though, so any extra I’m able to earn would really help them out. If anyone has any advice on shifting copies of my little indie game, I'd really appreciate it. I'm super green to the field. I have about 25 books left from the first run. I really have no idea where to start - a few local stores are carrying it, and I made a big long effortpost on these forums that seems to have slipped by relatively unnoticed.

In short: DEAD IN THE WEST is a game of TALL TALES and HIGH STAKES in the Mythic Old West! The game is character-focused, with an emphasis placed on the personalities, group dynamics, and histories of Players in the Posse. DitW is designed as such so that, after a few sessions, no two characters will feel or play the same. Special abilities and unique skills are earned based on the way characters behave, with step-by-step guides for GMs on creating custom and unique Abilities just for your players!

For those curious, you can hear some folks playing my game on this cute little actual play podcast.

If anyone is interested in my game, DEAD IN THE WEST is available here! If you want you can even use the code "goonsgowest" for a little discount on either the digital or hardcover version!

Really apologise if this isn't the place to post this, will delete if that's the case

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)