Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Last night they did a 2 parter with Orson on Donovan's Brain that was pretty cool.

The big horror thing being this brain in a jar from a murderer made me kill my son! such biblical terror was pretty poetic.

I missed almost all of Drac and didn't get to Orson's rendition. :(

Also, man, they held all the cool poo poo back until Halloween Week this year. I was waiting to hear When A Stranger Calls or The Thing on the Fourble Board all month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

FilthyImp posted:

Last night they did a 2 parter with Orson on Donovan's Brain that was pretty cool.

The big horror thing being this brain in a jar from a murderer made me kill my son! such biblical terror was pretty poetic.

I missed almost all of Drac and didn't get to Orson's rendition. :(

Also, man, they held all the cool poo poo back until Halloween Week this year. I was waiting to hear When A Stranger Calls or The Thing on the Fourble Board all month

I heard The Thing On The Fourble Board on the highway today! It made an uneventful, somewhat monotonous drive pretty interesting.

One interesting thing about that was the narrator talking about how they drilled like 7000 feet one time and that was a record, and then one time someone drilled 10,000 feet!!!!!

I guess oil was a lot easier to find in those days. These days some wells are tens of thousands of feet (though some of that might be horizontal)

E: just googled the title and found this:
https://www.quietplease.org/forum/general/the-thing-on-the-fourble-board-questions-184.html

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 1, 2021

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

wesleywillis posted:

I heard The Thing On The Fourble Board on the highway today! It made an uneventful, somewhat monotonous drive pretty interesting.

One interesting thing about that was the narrator talking about how they drilled like 7000 feet one time and that was a record, and then one time someone drilled 10,000 feet!!!!!

I guess oil was a lot easier to find in those days. These days some wells are tens of thousands of feet (though some of that might be horizontal)

E: just googled the title and found this:
https://www.quietplease.org/forum/general/the-thing-on-the-fourble-board-questions-184.html

I heard an adaptation of that first on the Mysterious Old Radio Listening Society.

A REALLY good episode from them was their episode of the Screaming Skull. It was proper spooky, with great sound design.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

The Screaming Skull, like you mean the super budget rear end movie from the 50s?

gently caress, I think i remember seeing that on Off Beat Cinema like 20 years ago.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

wesleywillis posted:

The Screaming Skull, like you mean the super budget rear end movie from the 50s?

gently caress, I think i remember seeing that on Off Beat Cinema like 20 years ago.

Yup, the terrible one that MST3K ripped the piss out off and then some.

Turns out, it makes a good story if you have competent people adapting it, who knew?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Was bored and scrolling through fakebook and saw a link for this poo poo right here:

https://rumseyretro.ca/

I haven't had a chance to listen yet as I just saw it, but it seems to be a Canadian radio station from Alberta that plays nothing but ye olde radio shows.

Can be listened to online.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I was listening to the radio last night while in bed and heard this episode of Suspense.

Starring Lucille Ball.
A Little Piece Of Rope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgdRPvBo32U

Lucille Ball plays some sort of scammer type who just happens to encounter a murderer whose calling card is strangling victims with a short piece of rope.
She tries to blackmail him but it doesn't go quite as planned.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Was bored and scrolling through fakebook and saw a link for this poo poo right here:

https://rumseyretro.ca/

I haven't had a chance to listen yet as I just saw it, but it seems to be a Canadian radio station from Alberta that plays nothing but ye olde radio shows.

Can be listened to online.

Thanks for this, pretty awesome. I usually put something on while making food and it's always handy to have another link.

As for finding more of these things. I have to think that just about every show there is to be discovered has been by now right? Occasionally they'll find 70 year old film prints in a salt mine or something but I can't imagine it'll be the same thing for old radio shows.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It seems like just about any show you want is on the Internet archive.

Or internetarchive.com or some poo poo.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

DrVenkman posted:

As for finding more of these things. I have to think that just about every show there is to be discovered has been by now right? Occasionally they'll find 70 year old film prints in a salt mine or something but I can't imagine it'll be the same thing for old radio shows.
I know that the SiriusXM / Radio classics channel is basically a bunch of tapes/vinyls they copied from the Armed Forces Radio Network. There might be a warehouse somewhere with copies of other shows in better quality.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I don't think it's true at all that most everything possible is digitized; we'll probably need a few more estate sales

more mournful is that a lot of shows in the 30s and 40s just plain weren't recorded

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thats probably true, like how many radio shows (dramas, comedy, mystery etc..) since the dawn of radio?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a lot of the television from that era is unrecoverable so I assume radio is even worse with more stations and local content

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

When I'm out driving around if I'm listening to the Radio Classics channel on Satellite radio, if theres something that I am liking but don't have the chance to listen to the whole thing because I've arrived at my destination or turned to it halfway through the story I'll usually take a picture of the screen so I can remember the name of the show and the episode.

Here's a couple that I recently did that with and finally got a chance to listen to.

Dark Fantasy: The Edge Of The Shadow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j821EM46FaE

A farmer has a dream that one of his hands wants to kill him and marry his wife, but it was just a dream. OR WAS IT???

Suspense: On a Country Road
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDaE21K1fs

A couple is driving down a country road at night during a thunder storm and run out of gas. And there is an escaped mental patient on the loose in the area.......

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Speaking of Suspense, this was the next episode that came up on youtube after the Country Road episode:

The House In Cypress Canyon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CX-HJbwumI

Its kinda difficult to summarize the plot, but the howling is fuckin creepy as gently caress.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

hell yeah ty

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

This one - https://youtu.be/7VOHTID5rWQ - is a Canadian adaptation of the Screaming Skull, which I first heard from a podcast. It's surprisingly effective, with REALLY good Foley work.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I just listened to it. It was pretty drat good.

Once again, like I mentioned in my other post the screaming/howling was creepy as hell.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

almost done listening to the complete runs of

Dimension X - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimension_X_(radio_program)

and

X Minus One - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Minus_One

from the 1950s and most of the stories fit into two buckets - 1. robots will replace us or 2. aliens will study or defeat us

Many of the X Minus One stories don't have much of a conclusion, as soon as the climax hits, they get in one clever quip and the episode ends.

also really interesting to hear PSAs about the polio vaccine that sound curiously similar to today's covid vaccine ads.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sone of those old ads are pretty interesting.

I forget if it's have gun will travel or gun smoke, but one if them is sponsored by Kent cigarettes. The ads make a big deal about how good they filter.

Recently in the OSHA thread in GBS, someone posted an old(?) Picture of Kent cigarettes and they were apparently using asbestos in the filters.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Listening to Richard Diamond is... Hilarious? Because of the cigarette adverts. Not only must Camels have bought advertising space, they must have also got in their contract that their cigarettes had to be in the show themselves. It is so unsubtle.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Its spooky month here and I'm not just going to shamelessy bump my thread for no reason, anybody got any good spooky poo poo to listen to?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Blah, now I'm annoyed I offered up that Screaming Skull adaptation earlier. This is the perfect season for it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nothing really spooky, sorry, but since I just saw this thread I wanted to mention the Philip Marlowe series, set in 1940s LA. Mystery stories, 30-minute episodes. They have some really fun teasers that they try to make as crazy as possible. I got it from Hoopla via my library, but I'm sure it's available elsewhere.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Its spooky month here and I'm not just going to shamelessy bump my thread for no reason, anybody got any good spooky poo poo to listen to?

The inner sanctum mysteries

Edit: also the dark adventure radio theatre

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just make sure you don't try Dark Fantasy.

Unless you're in the mood for 'pants-on-head'-level lunacy instead of spookiness, in which case go for it!

I would suggest Spawn of the Subhuman as a jumping off point.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The post-spooky letdown has moved into the eternal holidays of good cheer season. Always fun hearing the well-wishes and hopes that the war is over this year (remember to buy bonds).

As for spooopy stuff, the Classics (shadow people, fourble board, stranger calls) are all great. Some of the Suspense tales are goofy fun (woman who in a delirium imagines her baby son grows up into a womanizing lout and almost let's him die, realtor stuck in a loop selling a house to a young couple where the wife kills the hubbie).

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

wesleywillis posted:

When I'm out driving around if I'm listening to the Radio Classics channel on Satellite radio, if theres something that I am liking but don't have the chance to listen to the whole thing because I've arrived at my destination or turned to it halfway through the story I'll usually take a picture of the screen so I can remember the name of the show and the episode.
^^^^^^^^^
Finally got around to listening to Escape: Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge.

The YANKEES trick a good southern gentleman in to trying to destroy a bridge to "stop the Yankees from running a train over it with supplies".
Dude gets hanged for his efforts.

Or does he?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Just heard of an old-timey detective-action show that is retrospectively hilarious now (and probably at the time) re. the setting: T-men! The adventures of the operatives of the U.S. treasury in hunting down people who cheat on their taxes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I am wrapping up dark fantasy, and each day doing one episode of:

suspense
lux radio theatre
cbs radio mystery theater
great detectives of old time radio

between these four there are about 8000 episodes

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Holy gently caress, how long did that take you?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Holy gently caress, how long did that take you?

listening to 5 episodes a day takes about...60 minutes?

I listen on 2x with overcast's smart speed on, and I skip the preambles and old time ads.

at that rate it'll take...a little under 4.5 years to listen to the complete archives

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Currently listening to Suspense, Ep43 "Sorry Wrong Number". A woman tries to call her husband at his office, but the operator dials a wrong number and she over hears people planning a murder of a woman thats supposed to look like a robbery.

I'm only 10 minutes in to this and I think that she did infact get the right number and the guy on the phone was someone her husband knew, at his office talking to someone else on the other end (not her husband duh) about planning HER murder.

I won't give it away.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I'm almost certain that ended up being adapted into a movie. But there are a number of 'Person uses telephone and accidentally overhears nefarious plot' stories out there.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

DrVenkman posted:

I'm almost certain that ended up being adapted into a movie. But there are a number of 'Person uses telephone and accidentally overhears nefarious plot' stories out there.

Probably. I'm pretty sure it was redone on other radio shows as well. A bunch of times.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Currently listening to Suspense, Ep43 "Sorry Wrong Number"

as radio plays go, "Sorry Wrong Number" is one of the most famous - I've heard at least 3 productions. haven't seen the movie yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

It seemed pretty well known based on the comments. Lots of people mentioning that they were listening as part of a (drama?) School assignment.