Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Problem description: Everything was working normally yesterday, but today, when I went to turn the PC on, I got nothing but beeps: two long, low beeps followed by three higher, quick beeps. It is... weirdly hard to find information about non-standard beep codes online, but googling around turns up a few forums threads that suggest that 'two long three short' is a Lenovo-specific beep code for a video card issue. Can anyone confirm that?

Attempted fixes: I've tried the basic stuff: rebooting the machine, unplugging and replugging everything. I'm willing to try opening the box and reseating everything, but I'd like to know what I'm dealing with before I take that step.

Recent changes: I have not gotten any software updates or made any changes recently, but I have recently gotten a cat that likes to jump up on the giant box. I guess she could have... knocked the video card loose?

--

Operating system: Windows 8.

System specs: Lenovo Erazer X700 (Intel Core i7 12GB DDR3 1TB + 128GB SSD GTX 660 1.5GB). I put in an additional SSD several years ago but everything else is the same as when I got it.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

You'll need to be a little more specific. I'm assuming you're getting beep codes during power on self test (POST)? Are you seeing information about the motherboard pop up on your monitor before windows boots?

When you turn on the computer the first thing it does is run through a little series of diagnostics. These happen on the motherboard before anything else goes down. If you're getting some beeps it tells you the motherboard is running, at least. You'll need to figure out what sort of motherboard is in the box in order to decode your error, which might take a little doing. A quick google didn't give me any clues as to what mobo is in the case other than it's an X79 chipset.

From the look of it this is getting to be a pretty aged system so it could be any number of issues. You'll have to decide how much you want to fool with it. If all else fails you can start by plugging your monitor directly into the mobo video out (if it has onboard video) to see if that gets you any boot information beyond POST. You can also try pulling out all the memory to see if the POST code changes. If one of your memory chips is bad and is keeping the system from booting, you may be able to plug the remaining chips in in a configuration that's valid and get a boot from there.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Ah, sorry! Yes, I'm getting the beeps during POST - but nothing pops up on my monitor at all. I get the startup beep, then a pause, then the five tones play, and the monitor stays completely black. It never comes on. The blue power light under the monitor does come on briefly, but it goes back to orange after a few seconds.

I was just coming here to update things: I opened the case and looked around for loose wires and the like - didn't find any - and then unplugged and reseated the video card, just in case that's what it is. Nothing has changed. You're right that the system is pretty old, though, so maybe something has just died of old age in there. And of course I forgot to check what kind of mobo I have in there while I had the case open, agh.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
Quick update while I'm here: I purchased and installed a new video card. Nothing has changed - the five beeps still play, the monitor never comes on.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect the hard drives and only use one stick of RAM and see if it is able to POST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
How many PCI-E slots does your motherboard have?
You could try your graphics card in the second slot if you have one, and make sure it's properly seated with no dust preventing connections