Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Oh yeah, Jabberwock. So this one is kind of interesting in that there were some unused lines indicating that the boss battle with Jabberwock could play out differently depending on what you did. However in the final game you're forced to kill all the snatches before fighting Jabberwock, as the NAVs will block you from entering the arena until they're all dead. This didn't seem to always be the case, and you could fight it at any point at some point during development.

quote:

...This is the end for you, Dragon!
Analyzing... its armor is 20% thicker!
It's gotten even harder than before!
We can't win this!

Also somehow you could power it up and make it harder to fight? I dunno.

quote:

Analyzing... its armor is 20% weaker!
drat, it's still a forbidding defense.
We should step back for now,
Unit 13.

quote:

Analyzing... its armor is 40% weaker!
It's been weakened, but don't get sloppy.
What do you think,
Unit 13?

Only two of these entries are actually used, the first and final ones. The first one is used for the scouting battle, while the last one is used for the real fight.

It incidentally has a horrible weakness to Frostburn so you can probably stunlock it all fight if you're decently lucky.

quote:

Jabberwock (LV. 55/51)
-Fiery Surprise: Fire-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.2x damage.
-Hide in Shell: Buffs the user. Multiplies ATK and MAT damage taken by 0.1x for 5 turns. Has a priority level of 1.
-vibrations to drop rocks from above: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. Has a priority level of 6.
-vibrations to drop rocks from above: Non-elemental Ranged attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1x damage. Has a priority level of 6.

The scouting fight. Hide in Shell is what makes it basically invulnerable.

quote:

Jabberwock (LV. 55/51)
-Burning Breath: Fire-elemental Breath attack to all party members. MAT-based. 1.2x damage. 30% chance to inflict Skill Seal for 2 turns.
-Rampage: Non-elemental Melee attack to all party members. ATK-based. 1.1x damage.
-Gather Power: Buffs the user. Multiplies ATK damage dealt by 1.25x for 2 turns.
-Hammer Crush: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.5x damage.
-Power Tackle: Non-elemental Melee attack to one party member. ATK-based. 1.2x damage. 80% chance to inflict Bleed for 1 turn. The Bleed ticks for 43 damage.
-Blood Frenzy: Heals the user for 315/313 LIFE.
-Blood React: Buffs the user. For 6 turns, the user will be granted an extra turn if they inflict Bleed.
-lost the scent of blood.: Ends the effects of Blood React.

And the real fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 106: Seven Deadly Struggles
|| SSLP Test Poster mirror.

Goodbye to the Imperial Dragons. See you again, in another place or time—beyond the end of war.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Youka Fudoji: Suffering from chronic illness and still casually pumping out 2000 DAMAGE PUNCHES.

badass.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 107: Rival Arrival

Aw, no! Another unreasonable guy has appeared!

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
sick loot, indeed.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Part 108 (FINAL): A Tale of Men and Dragons (PROUD OF YOU)

Sayonara, Unit 13. Leave behind 2021 at last, and head forward into a boundless, infinite future.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Thanks for everything, Kinu. Take a break, you've more than earned it. Can't wait to see what next dungeon-crawler class-based RPG you'll cover (or, yunno, play a completely different game if you wanna. it's your call.). If you do the open-submissions-for-characters things again like all the old Etrian Odyssey LPs do, I'll definitely sign up.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Thanks for a great LP. I always enjoyed seeing a new update, even if I didn't post much.

...that said, I worry for the future given Valerie and GEORGE! still exist in this timeline, hopefully Orochi took measures to ensure they wouldn't accidentally retcon the universe out of sheer power. :v:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Thanks for the SICK LOOT! I'll miss these people, and Richter.

I'm kinda :confused: about some details probably the whole picture on the Tyrant/Raven/Chisa situation though.

So the EO5 crew kill Tyrant, but Raven was something to Tyrant, I really don't get the exact connection here; anyways since Raven dealt the killing blow it proved Tyrant's way of evolution right promoting them to VFD.

Project New Game Plus (it was called that way right) yanks Raven's mind into Chisa's body and also does some memory merging since start of LP Orochi had Chisa's memories from before the substitution.

Except Project NG+ kinda misses its aim and yanks Tyrant's consciousness instead, (spoiler from final update) and punts Chisa at the Underhills' home body and all but somehow Tyrant also has Raven's memories now?

(lastly, after roughly one and a half/one and three quarters LPs Tyrant finds her self and names herself Orochi, that part I didn't miss)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Omobono posted:

questions

Actually, the process of promotion to VFD was, in fact, Project NEW GAME—this was understood correctly.

Tyrant is an inherently sentimental being, the same as the Hypnos or Nodens, who longs to be human. The Hillsheads are examples of the kind of simple, well-meaning life that Tyrant aspires to, but cannot have—so while all the people on Arcania are descendants of Tyrant to some extent, the sentiment of Tyrant's desire to be human manifests more strongly in families like the Hillsheads, shown by the red hair swoop. This trace, the dragon's blood which desires to be human, is what Project NEW GAME grabs as its candidate for a 'hero'.

Orochi does not possess the memories of the original Chisa Inomiko, she possesses her own memories of that lifetime—the two are and were separate people from birth. It was a genuine 'reincarnation'. (In other words, Orochi, when born 'as Chisa Inomiko', was always an incarnation of Tyrant.) However, due to Tyrant's... particular complexes, she subconsciously forces down the aspects of herself that are more like her previous life as a True Dragon to be more approachable 'as a human'. Project NEW GAME didn't really account for a situation quite like this because Homura didn't even know True Dragons existed, for one thing, so since it expects the hero to be in the shape of Raven Hillshead, it calls something of a 'screenshot' of Raven's personality from the moment the hero call was made and overlays it over the pre-existing person who has already been incarnated as Chisa Inomiko.

In other words, prior to Mio's returning to this timeline, Orochi Hosokawa's personality consisted primarily of an iteration of Tyrant whose dragon-ness and memories of divinity had been sublimated to properly 'be a human' without being a danger to others, developing as a person as 'Chisa Inomiko'. Once Mio returned, a 'screenshot' of a 15-year-old Raven was added onto this, which, uh, complicated brain matters a little bit, with the combating values of the two 'human' identities and the deliberate obfuscation of the 'dragon' identity. A degree of personality synthesis started to occur, but then the events of Orochi's Reminiscence occur and kinda scupper that for several years. This is the underlying contradiction in the third layer of her Cosmosphere in The Year Between, a cycle of identity self-destruction with no concrete origin point to start from—a deleterious chicken-and-egg scenario, if you will.

So, essentially, Orochi Hosokawa was born as a reincarnated sentiment of a True Dragon, raised as a young Tokyo socialite, received an image of Raven Hillshead, had the draconic desire to devour forcibly awakened within her through the abuse of her parents, spent years trying to pretend that that last part hadn't happened and that she was actually very normal, was recognized as an entirely separate, wholly conceptual True Dragon, died, and then remembered that first part and realized that her backstory was so complicated that it was really just easier for everyone involved, herself included, for her to self-identify as none of the above three identities in totality (but that Tyrant is most accurate for self-descriptions of her own origins and past) and just have her own name and self-actualization. She is a very complicated woman and women cannot stop falling for her. Such is life for the Human DRagon.

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
Thank you for this wonderful LP and story Kinu!

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021
Truly delightful, among the best LPs I've ever read, and stands solidly as a story in its own right.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Thank you for this one-of-a-kind look into a series I'd never heard of and probably would never have played on my own. It's an LP style I never would have read on my own either, but the process of seeing and hearing the character creation process in your Discord made me incrediby curious and I don't regret deciding to give it a chance.

BassMug
Jul 19, 2022
Thanks for a truly wonderful tale.

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
You have a way with words, Kinu! I look forward to your next project!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Thank you for all your work on this amazing LP. I've greatly enjoyed reading this, and wish you the best on your next endeavor - after a luxurious break.