Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
that's not a typo in subject line.

like three months ago I was playing a video game and the video suddenly went out, followed by the sound, and the unmistakable smell of electronics burning. I immediately yanked the cord and after a while, disassembled the thing and checked everything over. there was nothing obviously burnt-out, and I looked at everything I could, including the caps on the power supply (not bulging at least). I put it all together and it's been working fine ever since.

bios shows voltages are all in-line. all fans appear to be spinning. the thing has run without a single issue since. now I'm no hardware elecromechanic, but I do know enough to know that what I'm dealing with doesn't make a lot of sense. it's not like the Terminator where after getting jabbed with a metal spike it magically reroutes to an alternate power source, or is it?

is my computer powered by the souls of the damned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

TerminalRaptor posted:

if its asrock, yes

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
it's alive, op! It's aliiiiiiiiive! System

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

TerminalRaptor posted:

no, it's just working in service of one - yours :twisted:

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your computer was burning away carbon buildup on the power couplings. it normally only happens if you are powering your machine with dirty power, like coal, or if your voltage mixture is too rich. the burning is good, it prevents the buildup from clogging your flux manifold which slows down your cycles

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

The Management posted:

your computer was burning away carbon buildup on the power couplings. it normally only happens if you are powering your machine with dirty power, like coal, or if your voltage mixture is too rich. the burning is good, it prevents the buildup from clogging your flux manifold which slows down your cycles

Can I clean it by running it through the dishwasher?

Should I have this questioned answered before I have attempted it?

TerminalRaptor fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 31, 2020

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

TerminalRaptor posted:

that's not a typo in subject line.

like three months ago I was playing a video game and the video suddenly went out, followed by the sound, and the unmistakable smell of electronics burning. I immediately yanked the cord and after a while, disassembled the thing and checked everything over. there was nothing obviously burnt-out, and I looked at everything I could, including the caps on the power supply (not bulging at least). I put it all together and it's been working fine ever since.

bios shows voltages are all in-line. all fans appear to be spinning. the thing has run without a single issue since. now I'm no hardware elecromechanic, but I do know enough to know that what I'm dealing with doesn't make a lot of sense. it's not like the Terminator where after getting jabbed with a metal spike it magically reroutes to an alternate power source, or is it?

your operating system is a piece of poo poo. Address this issue first.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

spooky computer :spooky:

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

i wish your computer wasnt working tbqh

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
thankfully op we know from fiction that nothing bad can happen when something mysteriously returns from the dead

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

no, it's just working in service of one - yours :twisted:

oh gently caress! halloween twist!!

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

breaking in your computer, basking in the new computer smell,

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Victory Position posted:

breaking in your computer, basking in the new computer smell,

It's almost ten years old OP. I think those were fermented ones and zeroes I smelt.

It's just gotta last until I build my 5900 this month, or assuming there's any to be had. Lol at me finding a 3080 to put in it though.

What do ripped threads smell like?

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
My House had a brief blackout. Had to reroute the power to a secondary(we dont have a generator) and use my phone as a third string limit. Involved unplugging the Blu-Ray Player and ethernet and doing a 5 round CPU powercycle do get disk repair running(advanced system repair is actually a POST disk check script, thats why it can often fail after a surge).

Got some nice popups of MS-DOS windows. I'm running my own DOS with a windows XP/10 hybrid for GUI and sys32/sys64 linkup.

All is stable.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

TerminalRaptor posted:

It's almost ten years old OP. I think those were fermented ones and zeroes I smelt.

It's just gotta last until I build my 5900 this month, or assuming there's any to be had. Lol at me finding a 3080 to put in it though.

What do ripped threads smell like?

I'm glad I went with an x570 board so I can upgrade later

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Did you check your ram op? Check to see if the amount of ram you have went down. Maybe one stick fried and you didn't know it.

Either that or you fried something you never use like the on board modem or some poo poo

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Did you check your ram op? Check to see if the amount of ram you have went down. Maybe one stick fried and you didn't know it.

Either that or you fried something you never use like the on board modem or some poo poo

Not only could it be fried and buggy, but it could be the wrong size. The slots on older motherboards can actually fit new DDR5 RAM but the firmware wont accept it.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
All 16GB are supposedly still there. If some of the RAM did fry I would think I'd have had system instability by now.

As a serious guess, I'm wondering if a capacitor did short and when the power was disconnected it broke the short. Whatever cap it was isn't vital enough to fail the system alone. I don't know enough hardware to know if it's really a thing that can happen.

I'm not prepared to rule out it's something I don't use on the board that fried, but I've tested almost everything at some point.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

I'm not gonna tell you to go out and buy headlight fluid. Your computer is working and running fine and youve fixed it.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
your machine probably overheated and the coating on some component started burning.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Well you better catch it, OP

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

SpaceAceJase posted:

Well you better catch it, OP

got 'em.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

your machine probably overheated and the coating on some component started burning.

so thats the burning chrome ive read so much about

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Beeped again, by proxy

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

why, that computer was powered off 15 years ago this very night...

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

serious post, it could be some kind of circuit protection component that burnt. like, the original event might have been some kind of power spike etc that made a protection diode or something get hot and smelly, could have also caused the cut-out that you saw. reason why it works fine now without any smell is that the damaged component only ever kicks in during power spikes and stuff, so if this is what happened then it’ll keep working fine until your power lines get struck by lightning or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Crazy Achmed posted:

serious post, it could be some kind of circuit protection component that burnt. like, the original event might have been some kind of power spike etc that made a protection diode or something get hot and smelly, could have also caused the cut-out that you saw. reason why it works fine now without any smell is that the damaged component only ever kicks in during power spikes and stuff, so if this is what happened then it’ll keep working fine until your power lines get struck by lightning or something.

Well it is and always had been on a UPS so maybe there's hope there.