Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
This reminds me of how after he got elected he kept having rallies. He just gets doing something and can't figure out how to stop.

Like when he shits himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

i am a moron posted:

I’m part of the middle management at my company and I don’t do that at least and my company doesn’t either. Which might be part of the problem with me understanding this, I dunno. Ive read some wild poo poo on SA about people and their companies so maybe it’s not as uncommon as I think. I feel bad for anyone who has to work in the kinds of environments that are being suggested here.

the majority of people in management in the usa are awful human beings. it's not like acab because there's the occasional decent manager, but they're the exception.

it's not just surveillance, mind, management can and will gently caress up everything.

CainFortea posted:

I was the top tech rep at a call center by literally every metric they tracked and a middle manager tried to cut my pay down to entry level (I was getting top billing since I was the top performer) because my response to the question "What are you doing to improve your stats?" was "Nothing, i'm the best. I am giving this company very good service for the pay they are giving me."

someone i know who worked in one was "employee of the month" at a place and ended up quitting because management decided that, even though all the metrics were being met, there were too many bathroom breaks being taken, so those were now restricted.

p sure that wasn't legal but it's one of those things you don't bother fighting because either way you lose.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
Brian Kemp calling the election corrupt is a real hoot.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Call operations management philosophy is literally about treating all labor as unskilled and replaceable, no different from any other tool on the line. If an employee thinks they aren't a tool, operations management says that tool is broken, and must be fixed or replaced. It's much more ideological than rational, and it's the same logic that leads companies to shoot their dicks off when trying to crush unions.

I was a high performing but frequently shat upon operations employee when I got my MBA. it all suddenly made sense when I took the mandatory operations class. The outcome of an operation can be defective or good, but there's no room for exceptional: if it doesn't fit into the reality of mass production of physical goods, it doesn't fit into contemporary operational management philosophy. Since the output needs to be just good enough to not be defective, exceptional quality is irrelevant. All that matters from the line is volume and meeting quality minimums. Accordingly, any "tool" that produces exceptional output is no better than one that produces acceptable output, and between those two options, whichever produces more is better.

This is why if you were an operations employee, being the superstar gets you little to nothing. It's also why if you rely on operational output, nothing will ever be reliably great - anything better than good enough is inefficiency.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 1, 2020

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Call operations management philosophy is literally about treating all labor as unskilled and replaceable, no different from any other tool on the line. If an employee thinks they aren't a tool, operations management says that tool is broken, and must be fixed or replaced. It's much more ideological than rational, and it's the same logic that leads companies to shoot their dicks off when trying to crush unions.

I was a high performing but frequently shat upon operations employee when I got my MBA. it all suddenly made sense when I took the mandatory operations class. The outcome of an operation can be defective or good, but there's no room for exceptional: if it doesn't fit into the reality of mass production of physical goods, it doesn't fit into contemporary operational management philosophy. Since the output needs to be just good enough to not be defective, exceptional quality is irrelevant. All that matters from the line is volume and meeting quality minimums. Accordingly, any "tool" that produces exceptional output is no better than one that produces acceptable output, and between those two options, whichever produces more is better.

This is why if you were an operations employee, being the superstar gets you little to nothing. It's also why if you rely on operational output, nothing will ever be reliably great - anything better than good enough is inefficiency.

This is why you go into sales.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

hobbesmaster posted:

Ew.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The big lesson I got from business school is the best gig is inheriting wealth, but if you must work, as I must, absolutely, positively, most definitely work in an area where your value can't be definitively quantified. If your work can be valued then it's a race to the bottom to make it cheap.

Or yeah sales works too.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CBJSprague24 posted:

Dear Deutsche Bank,

Suck my gently caress.

Signed,
Someone who works at home

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/gregpmiller/status/1333501350626390016?s=19

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Its the only thing that can’t be operationalized in a hell world company like that outside upper management (which is promoted out of sales)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

No wonder we lost the war.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

more good news!

https://twitter.com/ShaneSmedley/status/1333557760521166850

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

OBAMAGATE!

Edit : oh hey Atlas quit. What a shame!

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Who the gently caress is this guy and why is his feed full of playground-level rumor?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I fear the negative societal consequences of transitioning to WFH being the default are loving huge. If you think bourgeois computer touchers are detached from the plight of the less fortunate now, just wait until they're completely de-anchored from urban cores and shift housing even further into the hinterlands. The more detached they are from the realities others face, the more likely they'll go full FYGM and swing ever more wildly economically conservative.

That same filtering into increasingly far-flung areas will balance out the environmental gains of eliminating single-person-per-car commutes. More green-field construction of single-family housing in previously pristine areas; more lengthy drives for basic necessities.

Downsizing or even eliminating offices would also gently caress over all those low-paid workers tasked with basic upkeep.

I don't know, I feel like a crazy person whenever I raise these points in conversations with my coworkers as they go completely unacknowledged and folks just circle back to "I really want to work in my PJs all the time :downs:". Allowing some measure of WFH where possible absolutely makes sense and is long overdue, but it being the norm is going to take us further down a bad path that started with suburbanization.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Reuters says it's bullshit, I'm gonna believe Reuters over someone who says "things are happening ill keep you posted".

There's a bunch of clowns on parler talking about how obama et al have been secretly arrested by the fbi or something, so yeah, 120% brain worms.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 1, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

orange juche posted:

Reuters says it's bullshit, I'm gonna believe Reuters over someone who says "things are happening ill keep you posted"

https://twitter.com/fart/status/1333576170256830467

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well yeah I saw that too, but apparently it actually is trending on right wing nottwitter

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Of course it's trending! The orange one said OBAMAGATE before and this must be it!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cugel the Clever posted:

I fear the negative societal consequences of transitioning to WFH being the default are loving huge. If you think bourgeois computer touchers are detached from the plight of the less fortunate now, just wait until they're completely de-anchored from urban cores and shift housing even further into the hinterlands. The more detached they are from the realities others face, the more likely they'll go full FYGM and swing ever more wildly economically conservative.

That same filtering into increasingly far-flung areas will balance out the environmental gains of eliminating single-person-per-car commutes. More green-field construction of single-family housing in previously pristine areas; more lengthy drives for basic necessities.

Downsizing or even eliminating offices would also gently caress over all those low-paid workers tasked with basic upkeep.

I don't know, I feel like a crazy person whenever I raise these points in conversations with my coworkers as they go completely unacknowledged and folks just circle back to "I really want to work in my PJs all the time :downs:". Allowing some measure of WFH where possible absolutely makes sense and is long overdue, but it being the norm is going to take us further down a bad path that started with suburbanization.

I mean a huge number of offices aren't even remotely close to the "urban cores" but rather suburban office park campuses

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I didn't realize Parler was founded in my home city of Henderson, somehow. I wonder if their HQ is some noname post-office box like most of them or if it's an actual building/suite somewhere.

That being said, I'm curious where the "Obama has been arrested" information chain leads. How deep does it go? Did this dude make it up wholesale or can he at least claim to have heard it from some other anonymous source?

E: I guess I'm just curious where the connection to the make-believe world is right now.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The official bank of the Trump crime family

Not to mention their history with the third reich.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

Sales is abusive as hell and practically breeds sociopaths.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Since Obama has been arrested in the right wing parlerverse then mission accomplished? They’ll shut up about Obama now?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ArianeTabatabai/status/1333512714069680128?s=20

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Milo and POTUS posted:

I mean a huge number of offices aren't even remotely close to the "urban cores" but rather suburban office park campuses
Those suburban office parks are still at least part of a broader metro area. I've got some coworkers slobbering over the idea of buying or constructing a McMansion in a gated community in Montana or Oklahoma where the only contact they'll have with people unlike them is maybe from hired help. Sure, it's a thing now to some extent, but it'll only get worse.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I can't imagine why your coworkers don't pay attention to your points about where they choose to live

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Sales is abusive as hell and practically breeds sociopaths.

Yup. Hence that MBA class. Just talking survival here.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Cugel the Clever posted:

Youre talking about an extreme and possibly rapid shift in the current paradigm. It would be rather hard to view this and the consequences due to the level of change. You're talking about the accelerated destruction of low/mid income jobs that has been happening from the internet for awhile, and the further concentration of wealth into a smaller number of hands. To be clear, you are right, these are already trends and you don't have to look far for examples.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

On the otherhand, 100% WFH will be a pipe dream for the majority of even "highly skilled workers*" once vaccines hit the shelves. Fangs and silicon valley might do it, but there was never a compelling reason to require butts in seats before the virus beyond old farts in management needing to get their daily dose of adrenalin from walking into something they ostensibly own and watch all the people toil away for less then they're worth so that he can afford a third BMW and a second mistress, while middle management types bow and scrape in the hopes they might be able to afford their first BMW.

Office suites have always been a status symbol to the exec class, and are not really treated as a cost center.

*what ever that means.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

Fallom posted:

I can't imagine why your coworkers don't pay attention to your points about where they choose to live
I can't tell whether you're making a descriptive point about people ignoring things that run contrary to their internal narrative or a normative one that I shouldn't be raising the fact that what they mistakenly perceive as a purely personal choice has broader impact on those around them. If the former, it's still a good idea to at least try :shrug:

My other hot takes on where people should or should not live include: rich folk converting triplexes into one-plexes (resulting in the gentrification of formerly affordable neighborhoods) and Israeli settlers taking advantage of government subsidies to build homes on Palestinian land (resulting in slow-motion ethnic cleansing).

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Navy decided they are going to scrap the Bonhomme Richard after it burned-up in San Diego this summer.

https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2020/11/30/navy-decides-fire-ravaged-uss-bonhomme-richard-too-expensive-to-repair/

quote:

The Navy announced Monday that the fire-ravaged USS Bonhomme Richard will be decommissioned because repairs would cost more than building a new ship.

The 41,000-ton amphibious assault ship, which is a small aircraft carrier capable of carrying helicopters and vertical-takeoff jets, sustained severe damage from a fire that burned for four days in July, leaving the vessel listing to the starboard side, its aluminum superstructure collapsed and melted.

“We did not come to this decision lightly,” said Navy Secretary Braithwaite. “Following an extensive material assessment in which various courses of action were considered and evaluated, we came to the conclusion that it is not fiscally responsible to restore her.

The Navy said a comprehensive assessment following the fire concluded that restoring the Bonhomme Richard would cost over $3 billion and require between five and seven years to complete.

“Although it saddens me that it is not cost effective to bring her back, I know this ship’s legacy will continue to live on through the brave men and women who fought so hard to save her,” Braithwaite said.

The ship remains docked at Naval Base San Diego, but the Navy said planning is underway to tow the vessel to a location where it can be dismantled.

The Navy did not say whether a replacement would be constructed, but the second in the new America class of amphibious assault ships arrived in San Diego in September.

The Bonhomme Richard is the fifth ship in the Wasp class, and was commissioned in 1998.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

orange juche posted:

If you're on an employer owned asset it's quite easy, you can make it a condition of employment or use of the device. Where it gets thorny is if the company can't afford or won't justify the expense of providing work laptops to WFH employees and just say "hey extend BYOD to people's personal computers", and then try to install spyware on your home PC to monitor work productivity because they were too cheap to pay for laptops. Pretty sure there are legal restrictions regarding this, I know it makes corporate legal departments break out in a cold sweat.

RFC2324 posted:

If its a company owned resource, the company can do with it as they please. That includes monitoring everything you do with it.

The questions are coming up regarding their legal ability to turn on the camera or mic(this ranges from hilariously illegal to barely legal but with insane vulnerability to a lawsuit)

And if your employer is recording your on camera, have a naked toddler run into the room and be quickly dealt with. Now their recording of you is potentially CP while not loving off at work to use against you

I was almost expecting this was the case, and that's incredibly hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's technically December somewhere, folks.