Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Problem description: I built a new computer recently and am unfortunately having problems already. After a time of playing games - the amount of time varies - I'll start hearing clicks and pops in the audio. It gets worse to a point, and then FPS will drop very low (~5 or 10) and my system will just chug and become unusable. Sometimes if I change things in the program (ie: fast travel somewhere else) it'll fix it, but other times not and I just have to close out the game and restart the computer. I've found restarting it solves the problem every time, but the audio glitches and slowdown will recur again after a while. Does not occur while doing non-gaming related stuff - watching Netflix or Youtube, posting, etc. I downloaded AMD's "Ryzen Master" program and have used that and EVGA Precision to watch the GPU and processor utilization and heat while the chugging is happen to see if it's caused by one or the other, and they don't appear any different when the slow down is occuring than when it's not.

Attempted fixes:

i) Doing bug squashing for the games involved (IE: Control has a DX12 bug that can cause it to stutter);
ii) Trying different games (performance problems occur the same way in Control, Ghostrunner, and Metro Exodus);
iii) Using different arrangement of 8 pin connectors to the GPU (internet suggested that using one cord rather than two may be insufficient so I tried it);
iv) Monitoring heat and load on the GPU and processor (GPU is showing about 70-75C at its hottest, and processor doesn't get much over 60 or 65C. For absolute certainty I opened up the case and blasted a house fan on it just to see if it could at all be heat related, and the slowdown occurred even with the GPU at 60 and processor at like 45C);
v) Wiggling around the RAM, GPU, and other connectors to make sure there's not a loose spot anywhere.
vi) I've ensured Windows Update is up to date and have checked for most updated drivers and firmware for the GPU
vii) moving the USB headphone amp to different USB slots and trying different audio devices (ie: built in speakers on monitor) to see if the audio clicks and pops are maybe unrelated

Recent changes: No. New build, fresh Windows 10 install.

Operating system: Windows 10 Home

System specs: 5800X processor, RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming graphics card, MSI Unify 570 motherboard, 32gb ram, Samsung 970 Plus NVME, 750W power supply. Running Windows 10 Home, fresh installation.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 8, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
Shot in the dark, but this sounds similar to issues I had with Division 2 and a few other games.

Try this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8ks8hm/psa_windows_10_when_the_standby_memory_cache/

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Thanks man. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem since this morning, which is part of the problem, in that it'll sometimes happen in 30 minutes and sometimes not for 6 hours. If/when it happens again I'll add that to the toolbox

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Yeah I just hit 23FPS again in game with GPU usage at 23% and heat at 40C, processor cool and not even boosting. Was during a fight with an astral spike and a lot of poo poo blowing up and physics objects moving around. Can't be heat. I guess I'll try the memory thing

edit: I downloaded the ram map thing and it's showing a small standby, a ton of zeroed memory, and some free memory. I hit empty standby and it didn't seem to address the issue. it's showing a bunch of memory as "zeroed", I assume that's normal.

GPU and processor utilization going down when it chugs suggests the problem is somewhere else. Memory? Maybe it's some hosed up driver issue.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 9, 2020

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php?action=newreply&postid=509817673

It's an intermittent problem so I'm not SURE I've solved it, but I think this is probably it. MSI X570 boards and 5000-series AMD processors and RAM with >3200mhz clock speed seems to either cause errors such that the system just won't post, or it will but causes background errors.

On the off chance anyone is reading, what do I need to change at the motherboard to clock my memory to 3200mhz? Just the clock speed? There's settings for FCLK or whatever which I know relate to AMD chips but I don't know if I have to adjust that, voltage or anything else.

Final (?) Edit: yeah I think it was memory issues. I've been playing with xmp off for a couple hours without issue. I'll wait to see if MSI releases a new bios or try to tinker with it otherwise.

terrorist ambulance fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 10, 2020