Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboBoogie
Sep 18, 2008
Currently living in the states (Maryland), my wife works for an entity in Maryland and we have been living in an Airbnb. From January to June/July of next year she will be sent to Malawi for a special assignment, the Maryland entity will be paying her in the US bank account. I am working remotely for a global IT firm but their US entity will pay my US bank account.

I have set up insurance here and confirmed with the provider that any claims outside the country will be considered out of network.
I got legal insurance to handle anything that comes up in the US during the year. I plan to buy a house and it should pay off anyways.
I plan to get trip insurance for evac purposes if one of us gets covid (so far leaning to world nomads but open to suggestions), im sure they would subscribe her to corporate service.

is there anything we can do to lower our tax obligation , especially in the state of maryland since will not be living out of the country for six-seven months and when moving back we would be likely to move to a different state (either PA (high probs), TN (maybe probs), FL(maybe probs), NC(hope not my parents), or GA(hope not inlaws))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Thats a lot of things going on, but if your main question is about state income taxes, then you'll pay in whatever state you plausibly have an address in. I've been a "digital nomad" working both abroad and in other US states with state income taxes but I just use my parents address in FL, though that is also the state I have mostly lived. My job automatically takes out state income tax based on what address I have with them, maybe yours is the same.

If "home" is Maryland just make it simple and pay the man. Your legal residence will never be a hypothetical future one.