Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I hope that this is the correct sub-forum, but it's not a technical support issue per se and I am asking for recommendations.

I have been using ExpressVPN for about two years, and am mostly happy with it despite the high cost. However, it does not play nice with Origin or any, say, Steam games that go through EA servers; I have to turn it off to use any of these games or services. So, I am soliciting recommendations from people who use other VPNs that work well with these services. I don't really want to change VPN providers, but this is a major issue and I really don't like going online unprotected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Protected from what and who exactly? I’m not sure how a vpn makes you more or less secure or anonymous in this use case. You’re still using your account, right?

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006
What is it you're trying to protect yourself from? Do you have specific worries, or just general paranoia?

Most WiFi routers are subject to key installation attacks, so unless you have updated custom router firmware with specific protections against this (if you don't know -- you don't have it), that VPN is more like a VN.

Your main protection is going to be TLS (transport level security -- that little lock on your Chrome browser URL bar, and the `https` in the address). If an attacker deploys an attack like Freak or Logjam to force downgrade the security protocol and stage a man in the middle attack -- they'll read your banking information over the air as you login anyway.

You're not protecting yourself with a VPN -- especially ExpressVPN. Most VPN services are merely proxy services with an exit node other than your default IP address. Getting to the VPN server to get the proxy connection already allows for a man in the middle attack between your computer and the VPN service. They're great for getting around geo-blocked content by having an exit node in the same location, but for protection from real attacks? A motivated attacker will get in, regardless.

Just deactivate your VPN when you're playing games. Unless you're being shady and making enemies online, nobody is looking at you anyway.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
A VPN is a decent obfuscation if you're downloading stuff off Bittorrent - I would venture a guess that that is what most people actually use it for. Your own IP address is not visible in the list of seeds/peers. Rather, any law enforcement will see an IP assigned to the VPN provider.

That said, the above posts are correct in that your PC and your communications are no more secure for using an off-the-shelf VPN solution. The only way a VPN improves your security is if it connects directly to a non-public part of the Internet which you need to access without anyone eavesdropping. Say, a VPN endpoint on a corporate LAN that allows you to connect to servers that are not on the public Internet.

In other words, turn off your Bittorrent and VPN while gaming! It will improve your latency, too.

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good
The security thing about VPNs is bunk anyway, time and time again there are reports that the VPNs which totally promise to not release your data and in fact don't log it to begin with end up being more than happy to mysteriously find it and give it up if pressured to do so. Oh, but I'm sure the sales page for your preferred VPN is 100% telling the truth about protecting your privacy so nothing to worry about!