Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Problem description: Cannot boot into windows. The boot sequence never gets past the spinning white dots, it just sits there for as long as I let it. After three restarts, Windows attempts to enter the Start up Repair but the just ends up being a black screen + mouse cursor. No combination of keys seems to do anything.

Attempted fixes:

I've unplugged all of my USB devices except my keyboard before booting, no change. I've reset all my BIOS settings to default (I originally had a small CPU OC).

I used the Windows Creation Tool on another PC to create a bootable USB with the Windows installer on it, but booting using it yields the same results as above except that the background is purple instead of black. But I don't see any menu options and no keystroke seem to do anything at all.

Recent changes:

The only clue I really have is that just before all this started happening I started getting DISK_WRITE_ERRORS from Steam when attempting to update games on one of the drives in my PC. I used CrystalDiskInfo and while I'm not sure I understood the various tables it presented, it said all my drivers were in GOOD health, with 97-99 appearing underneath. The Steam library folder was not located on the same drive as my window install.

Attempting to access the steam library folder causes File Explorer to stall for tens of seconds (with the classic Not Responding status), which is what I was attempting to resolve. But then my PC simply stopped booting.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 x64, couldn't tell you what update number

System specs:
processor: Intel i5 6600k
motherboard: Asus Z170
graphics card: Nvidia 2070 Super
memory: 16GB @2133MHz
power supply: 650 W /w Gold+ rating bought in the last year
hard drives:
- Samsung 850 EVO 256GB, use this as my windows install
- WD Black 1TB 7200 RPM HDD (pretty old!)
- Samsung 860 EVO 512GB
- WD NVMe M.2 drive 1TB

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Update: physically disconnecting that same drive that Steam was having difficulty writing to has allowed me to boot into windows.

Does anyone have any tips on how to potentially recover the drive? I’m not worried about the data on it too much (I believe it was just steam games tbh) but the drive is only like two years old and it feels wasteful to try and throw it away.

EDIT: I downloaded GParted + Rufus and just used that. Things are working again. Things must have been real hosed up on this drive!

Brownie fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 16, 2020