Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
September 24th, 2020
Not in the middle of a pandemic, because the game won't account for that.

It's the middle of the Downtown Eastside of Vancouver, British Columbia, and a man in a wrestling mask and a cheap suit is sprawled out in an alleyway, drool and vomit soaking the side of his cheek, his pants soaked in rainwater and piss, some of it his own. A limosine rolls up to the alley, and a pair of men in black suits walk up to him, grabbing him by the arms, and dragging him to the limo.

Hey, what the gently caress? What's going on? I'm hung over, you can't do this poo poo to me!

Just relax. We're gonna bring you somewhere nice.

The suits shove him into the back of the limo, where he tips over onto his side, groaning. The limo drives him off, from the shittiest part of town, to one of the richest, Point Grey, to a gigantic mansion. The guy in the mask is guided firmly into the manor, where he's forced to clean himself up, he's given a new suit, and presented to an older man behind a large desk, chewing on a cigar.

Ahh, there you are, I'm glad my boys were able to find you.

Great, look, what's this all about? I've got a hell of a hangover, and...

The man produces a bottle of scotch, setting it down on his desk with a thump.

Sit down. Hair of the dog?

Uhh, yeah, alright.

The masked man sits down in front of the desk, and soon a glass of scotch is being shoved towards him.

Now listen up. I recently bought up a bunch of media properties, it was a package deal, little companies filming around here, I didn't really want all of it but there was one thing I really wanted, and I had to buy all the other stuff to get it, right? So now I'm looking at all this horseshit, looking for a little ROI. Understand?

Kinda.

Well the point is, one of them's a wrestling company. And you're the wrestling guy. So I need you to make something out of this. Capice?

The masked man searches his memory, trying to think of how this rich guy could've possibly come to this conclusion. He got kicked out of the promotion he'd been working for about nine months ago, and has been drunk and/or high ever since, off of the contract payout he got. Even before that, he wasn't exactly an amazing worker, but had lucked into a popular lucha style persona he had been able to coast on for a while. That money is starting to dry up, now, though, and a gig would be great. Still, he doesn't know anything about promotion... but when did that ever stop anyone? The masked man tries to look confident, and takes a sip of the drink in front of him, sucking up the need to shiver at the terrible taste. For a rich guy, his booze sucks.

I mean, yeah, I'm the wrestling guy. I can do that.

That's good. Now, I've already spent as much as I want to on this poo poo. Take the money you've got, and hire some of these local whoevers you know to work some shows, make some cash, grow this thing. I want results!

Yeah, yeah. I can do that, no problem.

This definitely isn't going to be as easy as the masked man is making it sound, but there's no reason he can't skim some cash for drugs and booze off for as long as it lasts.

Great, my boys will give you what you need. You can see yourself out.

The masked man finishes off the scotch in one gulp, suppressing the desire to vomit, and then stands.

Pleasure to meet you, mister...

The man raises an eyebrow.

You don't know? I'm Matt Sutton.

Of course, Mr. Sutton. Just yanking your chain.

Great. See you again soon when you've made some money, El Generico.

The masked man walks out of the office, closing the door behind him, and rubs his eyes.

Wait. He thinks I'm... because I wear a mask?

Better not to correct him.

The suit shoves a folder in his arms, and then leads him back to the limo, driving him to a run down, crowded office building. They lead him into the office, close the door when he enters, and then leave. The masked man rubs his eyes again, and then looks up, and suddenly, in front of him, is a resplendent, glowing, beautiful angel.

El Generico...

What the... that's... that's Sami Zayn now, I'm not...

It doesn't matter, my child. Do you know what professional wrestling is?

It's... umm... fake fighting? In your underwear?

No, my child. Professional wrestling is stupid.

Stupid?

Yes, son. It's very stupid, and it's trash.

The masked man is transfixed by the sight in front of him.

Professional wrestling is... stupid trash.

That's right, child. Now, go forth, and create. Yours will be the dumbest, trashest wrestling of them all.

I will... thank you, I'll... I won't let you down.

The vision of the angel slowly fades, revealing only an old, rotting desk, an oldschool landline telephone, a beat up filing cabinet, a laptop from the early 2000's, and an office chair that's falling apart. The masked man walks around the desk, sits down, and opens up the file in front of him. The masked man is filled with a newfound determination.

Alright... time to make some real garbage.

ACE Wrestling, October 1st, 2020

It's several days later, and "El Generico" has a drip coffee maker on his desk now, and a mug that says "#1 Greatest Dad", despite being unmarried and childless. His phone rings, and he answers.

ACE Wrestling, this is El Generico speaking.

ACE Wrestling? I thought it was called West Coast Wrestling.

Yeah, that was a bad idea. The WWE will sue for sure if they find out about that.

Why ACE?

Well, you see, in Japan...

Actually I don't care. I'm your new remote assistant, but I'm not being paid all that well, so let's just get to work, shall we?

Right, well...

For this playthrough, we're starting at the Rock Hard difficulty when creating our own company. Since these real world databases often don't treat Canada with a lot of care, and we're starting in British Columbia, we will abuse the Quick Fill function as much as necessary to generate new fictional wrestlers and other workers to fill the gaps, since we'll be repackaging everyone we hire into a new goofy rear end gimmick anyway. We're also turning Randomness Frequency up to High, for our amusement.

There's no more creating specific custom products, so we'll be using the "No-Style Style" so as not to hamper our... creativity. The only thing we'll be forced to provide is variety. Our "Integrated" Women's Wrestling means that women will be treated the same as men throughout the company, with no seperate division.

The "Three Ring Circus" Match Focus and "Highlights" Angle Focus means that our top three matches and our top three angles will be the most important aspects of our show quality rating. That means that we can't rely on just having a big main event match and angle to carry us, we'll need our top three matches and storylines to all be good to succeed. However, the fourth best and below will not matter much at all.

As you can see, we are currently the smallest promotion in the database, the equivalent to "Backyard" size in EWR.

We currently have a popularity of 10 in British Columbia, and to reach the next Size category, we need to get to 17. In order to do that, we need to present matches and angles that get a quality rating of 17 or higher. Popularity will be a big part of that, so we need some workers that have a 17 or higher popularity in British Columbia, but we need them as cheaply as possible. We only have $250,000 to keep us afloat while we grow, so early financial solvency is a must.

That doesn't mean we can't use anyone we've heard of, though. Gangrel, for example, will work for $70 a show, and we don't even have to give him a wacky gimmick, he already has one. Still, we'll be paying for his travel in order to hire him, which is an added expense. Still, he's so perfect for our promotion, I'm getting him.

In order to fill out our roster with inexpensive stars, we need to pick workers who are based in British Columbia. This means we don't have to promise to pay for their travel to convince them to work for us. The following workers are all based in BC.

Cremator Von Slasher - 37 years old - $40 per show - 40 Popularity in British Columbia
A decent brawler who's popular in the local indie wrestling scene. Another one that already has a wacky gimmick.

Daniel Makabe - 34 years old - $50 per show - 30 Popularity in British Columbia
You may have heard of him from his work in wXw and DEFY. A great technical wrestler.

Eli Surge - 27 years old - $30 per show - 21 Popularity in British Columbia
Someone else who works for DEFY, an indie based in Seattle that a lot of BC wrestlers work for. Trained by Lance Storm.

Judas Icarus - 22 years old - $30 per show - 22 Popularity in British Columbia
Another DEFY worker, a great high flyer. His name definitely works for ACE.

Nicole Matthews - 33 years old - $70 per show - 25 Popularity in British Columbia
Has worked for Shimmer, has 14 years of experience. Don't forget, women can fight men in our promotion.

Randy Myers - 37 years old - $50 per show - 24 Popularity in British Columbia
20 years of experience, a mainstay of the Northwest indie scene. The current DEFY World Champion.

Scotty Mac - 41 years old - $80 per show - 40 Popularity in British Columbia
I have actually seen this guy wrestle in real life, when he was the top heel in Elite Canadian Championship Wrestling. He did not look like this at the time. High flyer.

The Great Kasaki - 42 years old - $30 per show - 20 Popularity in British Columbia
Another high flyer with 15 years of experience. Not very good, unfortunately.

Travis Williams - 21 years old - $30 per show - 18 Popularity in British Columbia
Both a technician and a flyer. Young enough that his stats could keep improving as we book him.

Reducing the level of popularity we're looking for gets us a few more workers we might be interested in. We want our workers to at least be 10 Popularity in BC, since that's our current size.

Disco Fury - 43 years old - $30 per show - 16 Popularity in British Columbia
21 years of experience, another BC mainstay, a heel high flyer. Has been wrestling as just 'Fury' lately, but no way will that stand in ACE.

Riea Von Slasher - 32 years old - $30 per show - 13 Popularity in British Columbia
Might as well hire the other available Von Slasher, since she's cheap and decent. 17 years of experience, much of it with male opponents.

Michelle Starr will not be working for us as a wrestler, but rather, as a Road Agent. For $30 per show, and with 33 years of experience, he should be excellent for the role.

Expanding our search to workers outside of the US for bigger or better workers...

Anthony Carelli, previously known as Santino Marella, is retired from in-ring competition, but still works as a Personality and a Road Agent. I'm considering making him our Commissioner/GM/Director of Fun. Lives in Ontario, and is only $70 a show.

At least for our first show, that's going to have to do it for wrestlers for now. It's possible some will open up as we simulate the days and the AI hires and fires and creates new wrestlers. If it turns out we're not totally screwed financially, we can do some more fun hiring.

This is the Quick Fill tool. Using this is a bit cheeky, since you're generating new data into the database as you play, but there's certain needs the promotion has that we should be able to fill. We need an Announcer and a Colour Commentator, despite the fact we're only doing local shows and not distributing them anywhere (we're so small, Youtube literally won't take us). The following workers are generated by the game.

This is Fabien Robert, our Announcer, and...

This is Harman Fortin, our Colour Commentator. They cost $140 a show, making them at least twice as expensive as almost all of our wrestlers, but if they suck too badly, every one of our segments will suffer.

We also picked up two referees for $50/show each, since if you ask only one to do a long show, their performance might suffer. That's true of Road Agents, too, so that's why we have two of those.

So since I intend this to be a Let's Play in the traditional sense...

Please come up with terrible gimmicks for our wrestlers, and terrible ideas for the promotion in general, in the thread.

Next post, we start repackaging our wrestlers into their new gimmicks. Also, we work on some truly terrible championships, name our first event, and then we can really start killing this territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

El Generico posted:

Travis Williams - 21 years old - $30 per show - 18 Popularity in British Columbia
Both a technician and a flyer. Young enough that his stats could keep improving as we book him.

oh yeah this guy screams Big Willie, The New Year's Baby who will interrupt EVERY opening match to inform the audience and wrestlers that he's "made a poopy in [his] diapey"

his finisher is a stinkface followed by a banzai drop of course

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Call the Great Kasaki The Great Kabuki. His gimmick is he is a complete fraud that acts like he's the original Great Kabuki and will try to beat up anybody who calls him out on it.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Eli Surge is feeling like a lumberjack to me. Maybe a descendant of Paul Bunyan?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

here's the big gimmick match. it's called the .38 special match. you make a match where the wrestlers wrestle while riding horses. a competitor must knock their opponent off their horse for a count of 38

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

El Generico posted:

Randy Myers - 37 years old - $50 per show - 24 Popularity in British Columbia
20 years of experience, a mainstay of the Northwest indie scene. The current DEFY World Champion.

this guy's name and gimmick is the public restroom leprechaun. he invites his opponents to "follow the rainbow" to his "pot of gold." every night, the public restroom leprechaun paints a rainbow path on the floor of the arena, which his opponents follow throughout the show, over the course of several backstage segments. the rainbow invariably leads his opponents to a public restroom, where the leprechaun lies waiting in one of the stalls. the toilet in that stall is spray painted gold, and is filled with the leprechaun's "golden treasure." this is his signature weapon.

what happens when his opponent finds the pot of gold? that's up to them.

Shayna Baszler fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Nov 17, 2020

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

I'm looking forward to Scotty "Big" Mac.

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

El Generico posted:

Daniel Makabe - 34 years old - $50 per show - 30 Popularity in British Columbia
You may have heard of him from his work in wXw and DEFY. A great technical wrestler.

Declan Hogsmythe, pig farmer who talks like a dapper British gentleman.

BTF
Oct 15, 2019

I love Matt Taven

Xerzes posted:

Declan Hogsmythe, pig farmer who talks like a dapper British gentleman.

Who also changes his favourite football/soccer team every show.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~
CZW=insignificant. Ouch

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Make Disco Fury the cousin of the Young Bucks that they never talk to.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Just give Judas Icarus an edgelord middle name and I think he's ready to roll.
Judas Mephistopheles Icarus.

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Make someone a wrestling magician. Who specifically doesn't matter all that much, although a technical wrestle would probably work best due to how a magician would roll. They obviously need to be a heel for the same reason a wrestling clown needs to be a heel. No one will cheer for a trickster, but they will definitely want to see them get punched in the face.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

El Generico posted:

Disco Fury - 43 years old - $30 per show - 16 Popularity in British Columbia
21 years of experience, another BC mainstay, a heel high flyer. Has been wrestling as just 'Fury' lately, but no way will that stand in ACE.
Name him Disco Wright and then hire someone to play Alex Inferno to form the tag team of Fooling Dances.

e: They're not a ripoff of a sometimes remembered midcard curiosity from over 20 years ago, but rather the result of an unfortunate The Fly-style accident involving Disco Inferno and Alex Wright.

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 17, 2020

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Please hire a Native American wrestler and photoshop a chef's hat onto his profile photo and name him Chef Jay Strongbowl.

Also, find a big galoot, paint his entire body blue, and put him out there as Blue Ferrigno.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

Chef Jay Strongbowl.

Chef Jay Stromboli

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Wow no one even came up with any gimmicks for the women, buncha sexists ITT

El Generico posted:

Riea Von Slasher - 32 years old - $30 per show - 13 Popularity in British Columbia
Might as well hire the other available Von Slasher, since she's cheap and decent. 17 years of experience, much of it with male opponents.

Nothing trashier than stolen valor... it's time for AquaMARINE to shine brightly. She doesn't wrestle, she just berates her opponents in the ring for not wrestling in a satisfactory way, makes them do dumb exercise drills until her opponent injures themselves and then she pins them 1-2-3. She will inexplicably be our top star and a face because RESPCT R TROOPS

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Do not even ask posted:

Wow no one even came up with any gimmicks for the women, buncha sexists ITT

Hey, a woman could be a wrestling magician. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

Other Promotions, October 2nd, 2020

Although I kind of said I had hired everyone yesterday, I actually only sent everyone hiring offers. It'll take them a couple of days to respond. Meanwhile, let's take a look at what's going on in the world of professional wrestling, as decided by the game's AI.

quote:

SmartAsSmarks.com News Report - Oct 2nd 2020

WWE has suddenly announced a full re-draft of their roster across the RAW and Smackdown brands. It's said that both roster imbalances and a need for new rivalries prompted the quick decision.

Last night's WWE Raw recieved 2.2 million worldwide viewers, on the back of the main event, which saw Drew McIntyre defend his WWE title from Braun Strowman successfully via disqualification. The semi-main, which saw Aleister Black, "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt, and Buddy Murphy defeat Humberto Carillo and Heavy Machinery, was also said to be a highlight. Natalya defeated Dana Brooke in the worst match of the night.

Also last night, we saw Night 8 of NJPW's G1 Climax tour in Yokohama. In the main event, Jon Moxley successfully defended his US Title against Zack Sabre Jr. in an excellent match. Dave Meltzer gave the match four and a quarter stars. Over 1500 were in attendance.

ACE Wrestling, October 3rd, 2020

quote:

SmartAsSmarks.com News Report - Oct 3rd 2020

IMPACT Wrestling taped four weeks of TV last night. Fans who attended these tapings live are said to be largely unimpressed, with the highlight said to be the main event of the third week's episode, where the team of EC3 and TJP defeated Eric Young and Eddie Edwards.

More than half of the workers we sent hiring offers to have now been added to our roster. Let's take a look at the new Gimmick system and see what we can do.

Seth Rollins posted:

this guy's name and gimmick is the public restroom leprechaun. he invites his opponents to "follow the rainbow" to his "pot of gold." every night, the public restroom leprechaun paints a rainbow path on the floor of the arena, which his opponents follow throughout the show, over the course of several backstage segments. the rainbow invariably leads his opponents to a public restroom, where the leprechaun lies waiting in one of the stalls. the toilet in that stall is spray painted gold, and is filled with the leprechaun's "golden treasure." this is his signature weapon.

what happens when his opponent finds the pot of gold? that's up to them.

I wonder how DEFY feels about us doing this to their world champion.

One of the reasons why I wanted to do a promotion with a bunch of bizarre gimmicks is because in older versions of this game, you would have to do a lot of fiddly stuff to make new gimmicks in the database, but with this new system, it's very straightforward. Name the gimmick whatever you want, decide what Basis the performance of the gimmick is, and then tell the game how risky and unique it is. I'm going to say this is a 'Gimmicky/Cartoonish' gimmick, and that it's quite creative and unique.

One of the other things about the game you should know...

When you initialize the character that represents you in the game, you can spread some points across a bunch of User Talents, which help determine how successful you'll be in various areas. I chose to use the 'Chaotic Genius' template, which means I'm terrible at negotiating with wrestlers for their contracts, managing the backstage environment and happiness in the locker room, and dealing with backstage incidents, but I'm excellent at making these terrible gimmicks work on camera, and in talking people into doing things, which should help keep our shows afloat and mitigate some of the risk associated with our choice of product. I want the shows to be as terrible as possible creatively while still trying to play the game itself as successfully as I can.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I'm looking forward to Scotty "Big" Mac.

Mr. Noseybonk posted:

Make someone a wrestling magician. Who specifically doesn't matter all that much, although a technical wrestle would probably work best due to how a magician would roll. They obviously need to be a heel for the same reason a wrestling clown needs to be a heel. No one will cheer for a trickster, but they will definitely want to see them get punched in the face.

Done and done. We'll implement more of the suggestions in the thread next post, as we secure more of the workers you had ideas for.

Introducing our main event title, the Northwestern Championship of our Skinnyfat division. It's actually a replica of Jeff Hardy's terrible TNA title he had when he was a heel. We only need one title maximum, really, which is a good enough reason to make a lot of really stupid superfluous belts.

El Generico fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Nov 18, 2020