Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thundercats Roar, the show all the people were complaining about before it came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH5xSKIxPw4

This show is incredibly, incredibly funny. It now has 40~ episodes out, and literally all of them are funny. There hasn't been a stinker yet.

It's got ripped on for being "#woke" before it was released, but as far as I can tell only because Cheetara doesn't have mascara or something? It actually reminds me more of a late-night Adult Swim show. There's a lot of goofery, low-stakes violence, and general dipshittery for comedic effect, and that's the thing--the show is loving funny. (Including some of the greatest sight-gags I've ever seen, over and over.)

Also, the animation is incredibly impressive, and borrows a lot from the KC Green "Gunshow" comic style. For example, this is quite clearly the piss wizard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgvGvF3WsDI

The voice acting is stellar, the comic balance is fantastic... all-around a great show. It is also shockingly faithful to the original Thundercats world, and is clearly made by people who adored the original.

Though you do see many, many familiar faces (Berbils, unicorns, Driller, Dr. Dometone...) you'll also see new additions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cK-ks-_GscM

Let's go over our characters. In this version of course, they basically have various comedic roles to fill for comedic purposes:

Lion-O: in the original Thundercats, he's like a 10-year-old who has an adult body so kids could relate to him or something? In this version, he's dense but well-meaning.
Panthro: in this version, Panthro's comedy beat is his relative amorality. They maintained his fear of bats, which is apparently from the original.
Cheetara: somewhat lazy and self-interested, but the most practically intelligent of the Thundercats. But also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC1EXveBf9k
Wilykitt: extremely feral
Wilykatt: also feral but a bit more of a nerd, he and Wilykitt are clearly supposed to be the younger ones.
Tygra: Tygra is the "straight man" character but also effeminate and bookish.
Snarf: oh my god, Snarf is SO CUTE in this version. but also a robot for some reason? Can't talk, like he could in the original Thundercats.

Baddies:

Firstly, the Mutants.
Slithe: has the best facial animation/expressions I have ever seen on a cartoon character. (See: "Plundsmas")
Jackalman: the stupid one. His episode, "Adopt a Jackal" has one of the funniest moments in the series.
Monkian: not quite as dumb as Jackalman, perhaps the most optimistic? He tends to be set up opposite Cheetara.
Vultureman: 100% the Panthro foil, they have a weird "frenemies" thing going on. Easily the smartest of the Mutants and the least "evil".

the loving best character from Thundercats Roar! though:

it's loving mumm-ra

This character is so mother loving funny. jesus. this character is great, every episode he's great, every appearance he is great. his jokes are great, his animation is great. mumm-ra is great.

He's seeking artifacts to allow him to transform into full-power Mumm Ra.

Anyway, come here for all the characters though.

There's a lot of action animation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VTBJYfivg

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsaBrSgnQaU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I know what you're thinking, but I'm actually just going to keep posting about this periodically.

Anyway, one of the most distinct things the show does is set up the ThunderCats as "well-meaning" as opposed to inherently "good", and there's a pretty credible mix of their antagonists just having different motives, being actually bad, or being in the right (usually a correction from original ThunderCats lore).

There are also pretty consistent groupings with how this is communicated. For example, Pathro and Vultureman are set up as somewhat amoral foils. Jaga meanwhile did Grune dirty. So there's a pretty good mix of what kind of outcome you'll see and why.

Has good vibes. good vibes show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
One of the weirder ones they've set up is the ThunderCat that Mumm-Ra has the most personal connection is Tygra for some reason. In TC Roar!, Tygra is the "responsible" one, and mumm-ra takes some time to call out the thundercats now and again for taking tygra for granted. They don't particularly like to fight but they do as part of bigger conflicts. here's mumm-ra's car where he gives tygra a lift.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Honestly, the creature designs are a favorite perk also. There's a lot of creativity in the weird critters of Third Earth.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
What a strange cartoon. It's veered off so much from the original yet it retains quite a bit of that DNA. It uses the music from the OG show and it keeps the look of certain things intact (Mumm-Ra's transformation is quite faithful in this art style). I highly doubt anyone watching this now and is a kid knows anything about the Thundercats so why did CN make a new show based on the franchise? Is it to bring in adult viewers?

After seeing those clips, I might go find a few eps. Has that Teen Titans GO! feel of despite it being aimed at a different audience, there's enough there to make the characters recognizable to the older folks who watched the previous shows.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
What's very strange is many of the episodes have literally the same premise and basic plot as the original it is derived from, but just handled in a completely different way. (E.g the Mongor, Grune, and the Silky episodes.) I don't find it tedious at all, I find it actually a very fun thing to do. It goes to show how much of an experience is based in tone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also there are a ton of very niche ThunderCats callbacks. I don't know, I think it was actually a labor of love to bring it back. It's clearly made by people who LOVED thundercats.

Anyway, here's another funny screencap. After this, I think I'll do some design side-by-side comparisons for fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
e.g. Wizz Ra

Above is the moment when Wizz Ra takes off his hat and puts it down in the real world instead of the astral plane. It wasn't covered in that episode, but I imagine it will be in a future one, since his hat was significant in the original ThunderCats. Again, there's a weirdly good amount of continuity to the show.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
And here's Silky, the plant.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Mongor

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Safari Joe... Does it again!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omqV8XIdzwE

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Not on HBO Max for some loving reason

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Koirhor posted:

Not on HBO Max for some loving reason

It's on Amazon Prime for $25 for the entire season (51 episodes and counting) which is a good deal, and it is also on Crime Sites :ssh:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh, also they make fun of Silverhawks (a lot) and Tigersharks (a bit).

In TC Roar!, Silverhawks is a show.

But the Tigersharks are real.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I think TCR could be best summed up by the fact that one podcast I was listneing too (Sonic the Comic The Podcast, it's Patron Exclusive episodes in particlar) had one host repetively and in innocent error refering to it as "Thundercats Go!", even after catching himself on the matter.

TCR, much like Sonic Boom before it died in the shadow (har) of Teen Titans Go and, in some ways TCR got it much worse than Sonic Boom did.

TCR had that god awful preview that represented nothing of the final product (and utterly undersold the opening) which shot it in the back before it could get out of the gate and then there was that utterly misguided at best, sabotaging at worst TTG episode that had the shows being compared (and very negatively, at that) ever more and just tapped two into its chest.

And its a shame too, the show is a genuine joy to watch and even reading this thread made me smile at the mention of Safari Joe (and his doing it again).

Oh yes, that episode was really good too. :allears:

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for making the thread - I never would have checked this show out without it and it's been a ton of fun watching it. I have absolutely no nostalgic connection to the franchise, but it stands on its own merits as weird and goofy entertainment with some of the most dynamic animation I've seen in a long time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bob Quixote posted:

Thanks for making the thread - I never would have checked this show out without it and it's been a ton of fun watching it. I have absolutely no nostalgic connection to the franchise, but it stands on its own merits as weird and goofy entertainment with some of the most dynamic animation I've seen in a long time.

Thank you for giving it a try! :)

Isn't the animation just phenomenal? I'm really into the technical aspects of animation and man, it's just killer.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Pick posted:

Thank you for giving it a try! :)

Isn't the animation just phenomenal? I'm really into the technical aspects of animation and man, it's just killer.

I thought you were exaggerating but I just watched "Panthro Plagiarized".

That was the best battle I've seen in some time and I actually caught myself saying "Oooooooo" out loud right when <snap>.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Great weekend to catch up!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBV5vYjG94

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Anyway, apparently that's the last episode! 54 or so episodes strong, but closed out.

So now you can see the whole thing! Great from start to finish.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Here's my going-away president for Thundercats Roar!, a little picture of Tygra

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Thundercats Roar did a lot of genuinely interesting things, on top of its top-tier animation. However, the most interesting to me was that every single Thundercat had a richer life outside of being a Thundercat. From CEO Cheetara to inventor Panthro to Warrior Maiden Wilykit to "Mr. Bottom Dollar", frankly the show begs the question of why Thundercats are "Thundercats" at all. It's strongly implied that every single character should actually be somewhere else, and it's questionable the value that the "Thundercats" actually have as a unit as opposed to their individual influence on Third Earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Get in before it's a cult classic! There's still time!