Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
We've got seven days with a U-Haul truck and some time to kill. Anything fun and offbeat (or perhaps strikingly gorgeous) to do or see along the way would be appreciated.

The general route is as follows:

Tucson-Las Cruces-Ruidoso-Albuquerque-Amarillo-Oklahoma-St. Louis-Indiana-Detroit

I used to live in St Louis so we'll be popping in there to say hi and maybe get some toasted ravioli or STL pizza, and I know about the Cahokia Mound just east of there in Illinois; that's the kind of thing I'm looking for here.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
My brother and I took a mostly opposite route on our trip from New York to San Diego.

We went through Oklahoma, then Amarillo. Oklahoma was the boringest flattest soul-destroying part of the journey. The biggest attraction in Amarillo seems to be The BIG TEXAN. It is a steakhouse/faux-cowboy church that serves obscene cuts of beef to wow the mid-western rubes. There is a large plastic cow model in front of the restaurant. I overheard a woman talking on her phone; she described the restaurant to her friend, "I am at the most awesome place I've ever been." I believed it. I believed the most awesome place this woman had ever been to was a steakhouse in the square part of Texas that had a large plastic cow in front.

We didn't eat there. I forget where we ate.

We stayed in Hereford, TX "Beef Capital of the World." We talked the Holiday Inn desk person down a good $40 dollars threatening to stay at the Best Western.

Next day we had lunch in Roswell, NM. The place had a 50s diner vibe with the obligatory alien stuff that I imagine is standard in Roswell.

Then we swung down south through Alamogordo. Then we hit White Sands National Park.

I recommend you stop there. Even for just a few minutes. The sand is like pure newly-fallen-snow. I did not have sunglasses, so I became snow-blind in around five minutes. My brother loaned me his sunglasses and we made our way back to the car. BUT in those ten minutes I was able to observe clear lizard, snake, coyote, fox, and other tracks in the pristine sand. I recommend a bottle of water and some sunglasses, and you can enjoy one of the most unique biomes in the US.

And Albuquerque seems like an unnecessary detour. You aren't Bugs Bunny.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Propaganda Machine posted:

We've got seven days with a U-Haul truck and some time to kill. Anything fun and offbeat (or perhaps strikingly gorgeous) to do or see along the way would be appreciated.

The general route is as follows:

Tucson-Las Cruces-Ruidoso-Albuquerque-Amarillo-Oklahoma-St. Louis-Indiana-Detroit

I used to live in St Louis so we'll be popping in there to say hi and maybe get some toasted ravioli or STL pizza, and I know about the Cahokia Mound just east of there in Illinois; that's the kind of thing I'm looking for here.

Thanks!

Carlsbad Caverns is more or less on your way unless there's some reason you really really wanted to go to Albuquerque.

Tucson->Las Cruces->White Sands->Ruidoso->Carlsbad->Amarillo

I wish I'd known about White Sands when I passed through there like 15 years ago, it looks awesome from the photos. I had only ever thought that it was a closed military zone.

mongeese
Mar 30, 2003

If you think in fractals...

BluesShaman posted:

Next day we had lunch in Roswell, NM. The place had a 50s diner vibe with the obligatory alien stuff that I imagine is standard in Roswell.

Roswell has a funny UFO museum, too. That's all I remember about it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

If you lived in STL, I assume you know about the City Museum, but just in case. The City Museum.

EDIT Good lord I didn't realize how old this thread is. My bad.