Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

Bought my first bike (drz400sm) back in June of this year and riding is all I've been doing for the past 5 months. Trying to power through the cold temps with layers & layers but now that the snow's here I've got no choice but to put the bike away for good.

I feel like a shell of a man. I get home from work and I don't know what to do anymore.

I've been trying to jerk off as much as possible to fill the void, the spirit is willing but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Wtf do you do in the winter? Help me deal with these alien emotions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:sweep:

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
Ride way more than in the summer :whatup:

Riding in SWFL is torture in the summer, but I actually rode for about four hours today and didn't break a sweat. :feelsgood:

OG Algier
Aug 5, 2019

I'm honestly considering reevaluating my plans for the future just to accommodate my choice of vehicle.

Emigrating to a country with nicer weather sounds like a real bitch tho

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=D1c6W8xbF_s

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
You can get a small bike you can flatfoot easily, get studs, get winter gear. slide around and fall down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9PqW7I5UCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-1g_puSde8

You can even get yourself into even more silly situations than normal.

There are even events where people who like this stuff congregate. Though not that much this winter I'd think.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/xXobo9W.mp4

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

If you have the means, do this ^

I upped my garage game and insulated and heated it, so I can work on them over the winter. I don't actually do this and wind up overloading myself with the work need on (now 4 + 1 Fourtrax 300) bikes in the Spring.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Another thing that works in any other year than this is a cheap plane ticket down somewhere warmer for a week, and rent a cheap bike. Helmets are usually extra free carry on. and you can wear the heavy items like the boots and the jacket.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

OG Algier posted:

I'm honestly considering reevaluating my plans for the future just to accommodate my choice of vehicle.

Emigrating to a country with nicer weather sounds like a real bitch tho

Remind me again why I don’t just get a passport, ride down to South America, and just not come back.

It’s money, isn’t it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Revvik posted:

Remind me again why I don’t just get a passport, ride down to South America, and just not come back.

It’s money, isn’t it.

The Darien Gap too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I just ride the bike on normal tires sliding around every corner with my leg out like a motocross rider which I don't recommend unless your tolerance for lowsiding yourself into a snowbank is high. Snow isn't as bad as terrifying sheets of black ice. Once you're on one of those you can just keep the bike upright and pointed straight and let it slide until you have traction again.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
ride bikes
gripe about the lack of sunlight in the afternoon
drink too much

This particular winter?
oh. gently caress.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

cursedshitbox posted:

ride bikes
gripe about the lack of sunlight in the afternoon
drink too much

This particular winter?
oh. gently caress.

I mean this is pretty much the perfect answer.

Cry about how cold your hands are. Enjoy the bracing sunlight and cold as you ride places everyone else is too soft/wise to ride. Be depressed about the cold and lack of leaves. ENJOY that sweet power boost you get from ice cold air (offer not valid on engines above 125cc).

But this year? I guess I ride once a week to keep the Hawk happy and healthy, and am reminded that I need to do the cush drives (thanks JAZZZZZ for gifting me replacements). Make promises to forum buds that I'll totally buy that new bike in 2021 and maybe that bike will actually make me feel dopamine again.

As an aside, I love that jazzzzzz sold me a KTM back in the day and felt a bit dirty about it because it meant I had to own a KTM, then later sold me the best motorcycle Honda has ever produced. Way to balance the karma, dude. Loved the ktm, love the 80s honda even more.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I realize this sounds kind of pathetic but sometimes I just put my gear on and wear it around the house

It honestly scratches the itch a little

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Although I won't take my Triumph out without a rain or two after the last road salting, I'll ride my EX500 as long as there's no ice. When I still had a second job, I'd ride it down to about 15°F for the 10-mile ride.

I love riding in 30-40° weather. Heated grips, a decent jacket, balaclava and gauntlet-style snowmobile gloves work well. However, there are some nights I just stay home and jack off.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
^^^^^
Lmaoooo

I used to commute year round in NYC on my R1, heated gloves, freeze out liners etc, but still was brutal once January hit. I slipped hard on ice pulling out of my parking garage once and went down pretty hard. I don’t ride below freezing anymore but its tempting.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Midjack posted:

The Darien Gap too.

Hadn't heard of the Darien gap, went into an internet hole, thanks!

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Phy posted:

I realize this sounds kind of pathetic but sometimes I just put my gear on and wear it around the house

It honestly scratches the itch a little

Also nice reminder not to winter-weight my way out of my gear.
Again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shelvocke posted:

Hadn't heard of the Darien gap, went into an internet hole, thanks!

:cheerdoge:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

-14c/7f when I got to the cabin tonight. My new helmet works very nicely, though the head opening is so slim that I gotta be mindful to get the dual layer balaclava plus neck warmer high enough up to reduce the air gap. Only the last 10 miles had ice cover, rest was bare pavement with frost.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Speaking of Winter, this is the only time I'm not riding and have time to work on bikes, but it's too friggin cold to work on bikes :argh:

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
For those of you with Arai helmets, I did not realize that Arai had replacement winter breath guards for their helmets although I have owned Arais for decades. I just ordered one for each of my Quantum and Corsair. I have pinlock shield but the winter breath guard will help keep glasses/sunglasses from also fogging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1R49Eu-8J4

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

breath guards are nice and all, but nothing is as good as a heated visor imho

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

right arm posted:

breath guards are nice and all, but nothing is as good as a heated visor imho

The fact that there isn't a heated visor for most major brands (Shoei, HJC, Arai) is a travesty. My head is the only thing I can't seem to keep from getting unbearably cold.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Strife posted:

The fact that there isn't a heated visor for most major brands (Shoei, HJC, Arai) is a travesty. My head is the only thing I can't seem to keep from getting unbearably cold.

agreed!! I went with the scorpion I have over the shoeis I'd always bought previously because I knew it had the ability to fit a heated visor at a later date

winter riding rules

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

I've managed all my winters without a heated visor. My main winter comfort issues are cold hands and glasses fogging.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yeah I ride in contacts in the winter just cause glasses suck. even with a heated visor they can start fogging if I sit at a traffic light too long

pop them out and put my glasses on when I get to work though cause I look like a dweeb without them :D

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The russians just used a car.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

lol I haven't personally owned a car for about 8yr now :( my better half drives the forester we own

been thinking about picking up a subaru sambar kei van tho because I need something that will not allow me to drive fast, ever

but used vehicle prices are fuckin stupid right now, jdm ones especially so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I've only seen two helmet models with "aftermarket" heated screens.
https://www.bellhelmets.com/motorcycle/c/helmet-shields/
Bell mx-9 adventure. You can buy the heated shield from the snow model separately and it's drop in in the non-snow model

https://www.amazon.com/HJC-HJ-09-Electric-Frameless-Shield/dp/B015ZU0B9Y
Fits CL17/16/15/SP, IS16, FS15, CSR2