Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assume trikes were for the dumbasses that want something without any of the advantages of a bike or any of the advantages of a car either. See also: quads

Around here, that's the majority. Lots of middle-aged, obese guys that look like Stone Cold Steve Austin from the neck up cruising 15-under the limit around Southern Indiana on HD trikes, Can-Am Spyders and Slingshots, etc. because the only thing that scares them more than 2 wheels are curves.

Every once in a while, I'll see older guys on Goldwings and HDs converted to trikes and even a few with landing gear that come down as they come to a stop and retract when they accelerate. They're easy to spot because they actually wear helmets and are usually riding 2-up. I think most of them are probably due to weakened legs and I've seen a handful of guys over the years missing a leg, but still riding on two wheels except at stoplights. Whatever keeps them on the road and happy.

Quads are different, imo. Like Pennywise said, they are good for tasks and jobs a dirtbike would be ill suited. Recreation-wise, they're narrower than a Jeep or pick up for smaller trails and to me it's an easy choice between a dirtbike or 4wd quad for deep mud.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't own any of those things but it's good to know that the people with 10's of thousands of dollars to blow on toys have to justify themselves to you that they're man enough to drive them, I guess.

I've got a 550 bike in the garage but it might not be large enough to prove that I'm a man so I don't post about it, y'know? Jesus.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I've thought about getting a scooter but I would rather just have a motorcycle again.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My scooter has an automatic CVT so it's super gay compared to a motorcycle.

I will probably eventually get a motorcycle though. I just don't have a desire right now. Actually the #1 reason is I'd have to take the motorcycle safety course and that's super hard to get into around here. It sells out months in advance. And I can't do things months in advance because I'll never know where my brain cycle will be in the near future.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

Dubplate Fire posted:

I hope I don’t hit you with my car

I follow all the rules of the road like it was a scooter or motorcycle and stay in the bike lanes as much as possible so it's not likely.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Pennywise the Frown posted:

My scooter has an automatic CVT so it's super gay compared to a motorcycle.

Like a turn, in scooter culture you lean into the super gay.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
https://www.warhistoryonline.com/instant-articles/the-history-of-the-cushman.html

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'd ride the hell out of that

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dubplate Fire posted:

I hope I don’t hit you with my car

Maybe learn to drive?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
I have a dinky rear end motorcycle, not even 400cc. It’s a loving blast. Take it on long trips, short trips, medium length trips. It’s fantastic. Just sips the gas.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I have a 276cc scooter (billed as a 300, because that's marketing for you, I guess). It's been my daily driver for the last few years and I've never caught poo poo for it. Great for getting around the city because I can park basically anywhere a bicycle can, and it's got enough oomph that I can take it on the highway and keep up with traffic. I rode it from DC to southern Maine and back a little over a year ago and got some funny looks on I-95 during the return trip, but I chalk that up to people not realizing scooters can go highway speeds.

Whatever you do, don't buy a scooter new. Finding a used one with no miles should be easy enough; there are plenty of people who thought they'd be super into it and then discovered they aren't. It's almost certainly going to get banged up some way or another, so even if you did get it new, it probably won't stay that way for long.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

gary oldmans diary posted:

a scooter is a fine thing to buy used but if youre buying one new and dont have a bunch of duis you should probably get this instead
https://www.amazon.com/Lifan-Motorcycle-KPR-200-Injection/dp/B0887XPBNT
gas mileage about as good as the best scooter but goes like 85mph

For an extra grand you can get, as somebody mentioned, a grom, which has a Honda engine made by Honda rather than a clone. It'll probably last 10 times as long, nobody does reliable small petrol engines like honda.

Chinatown posted:

how about youu buy a bike eh???

ever ride? pretty badass. your rear end and legs are the engine bitcxh

Rocket propulsion?

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I assume trikes were for the dumbasses that want something without any of the advantages of a bike or any of the advantages of a car either. See also: quads

Try carrying 100kg of poo poo through rugged terrain with a bike. About the only thing comparable to a quad for this is a Suzuki samurai. Or I guess a mule.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Weka posted:

For an extra grand you can get, as somebody mentioned, a grom, which has a Honda engine made by Honda rather than a clone. It'll probably last 10 times as long, nobody does reliable small petrol engines like honda.
search says the grom only goes 56mph. being able to take the highway is a major bonus. the one i posted is growing a very nice reputation of its own

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Please, as someone who races 125cc two stroke karts, don’t buy some clone engine. If that poo poo seizes on a bike there’s a very large chance you’re going down and a company like Honda has far higher manufacturing standards than some random punter in China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

OP, don't forget: get the model with ape hangers:

I'd buy this - minus the the silly handlebar mod.