Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Elentor posted:

The idea that someone equated "it would be ideal if people did research about trans people before writing about them" with fascism is like... yeah, I don't even.

Yeah that's the most bizarre escalations to one of my posts I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

Yeah that's the most bizarre escalations to one of my posts I've ever seen.

This post literally gave me cancer, killed my dog, and installed me as Vice Chancellor of Vassar

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Oh gently caress, Awful trashed one of my responses. two seconds

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

alexandriao posted:

squeeeeeeee

alexandriao posted:

The systemic erasure and harm of trans people [by not portraying them the way I want in a movie] is literally fascism

I feel like I’m posting on livejournal in 2004 all over again :allears:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

gary oldmans diary posted:

this is the actual guy the character would be based on

if anything should disqualify scarlett johannsen its probably her height not her inability to capture the masculinity
granted the gangster mightve been somewhat less overweight in the timeframe the movie was going to portray but

Ok so here's the thing. I think you fundamentally do not understand why people find it frustrating.

It is about Optics. If a trans woman is played by a man for the entire role, the implicit assumption to the audience is that this trans woman is really a man. Likewise for trans men. If a trans man is played in the first half, pre-transition phase of the movie by a woman, and in the second phase by a man, the implicit assumption by the audience is that trans people "medically change" into the "new" gender.

This is exactly what trans people have been fighting against for over three decades. It is a set of assumptions that are coded deep into people, by previous representations of trans people. Read this wonderful article about only a decade's worth of representation and see how audiences so easily make the leap that "trans women are violent", for example.

Any new media about or containing trans people must shirk and invalidate those assumptions, otherwise it is only reinforcing implicit, negative assumptions that are directly harmful to trans people.

What is wrong with the idea of hiring a trans man for the role, who is comfortable with wearing breast padding, etc? After all, Eddie Redmayme won a loving oscar for doing exactly that. It speaks so much of deeply rooted internalised transphobia and sexism that the assumption you have here is "A trans man is not capable of dressing up as a pre-transition trans man for a specific role".

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 4, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I feel like I’m posting on livejournal in 2004 all over again :allears:

I mean your edited quote is wrong on a fair number of levels here but ok

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Who What Now posted:

I missed this post the first time around but you could make your own thread, I think it would definitely get more than enough traffic.

the ironic thing is this is how the trans threads were started waaaay back in the day lol

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

alexandriao posted:

What is wrong with the idea of hiring a trans man for the role, who is comfortable with wearing breast padding, etc? After all, Eddie Redmayme won a loving oscar for doing exactly that. It speaks so much of deeply rooted internalised transphobia and sexism that the assumption you have here is "A trans man is not capable of dressing up as a pre-transition trans man for a specific role".
at no point did i say anything of the sort that a trans man couldnt or shouldnt be allowed to play the part. nothing ive said has been exclusionary. that assumption you say i have is an assumption conjured from your own imagination so redirect your psychoanalysis toward yourself

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

at no point did i say anything of the sort that a trans man couldnt or shouldnt be allowed to play the part. nothing ive said has been exclusionary. that assumption you say i have is an assumption conjured from your own imagination so redirect your psychoanalysis toward yourself

You argued against people who were asking for it, I think it speaks a lot that you saw people going "please can we have a trans role played by a trans person for once" and assumed they were

uncomfortable with the character not being portrayed by some mr muscles bo hunk actor even though thats nothing like the story

and that

the actual character is apparently not someone you would want representing anyone in the trans community based on their physicality

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

:gas:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Ok so here's the thing. I think you fundamentally do not understand why people find it frustrating.
i absolutely get that people want the movie to above all be about making a social/political statement specifically through casting (to the extent that not doing so is characterized as harmful/an attack) but i think the movie should first and foremost strive to tell the story as well as possible and going by the subject matter i think it would also make quite a statement in its plot and depiction no matter who plays who

alexandriao posted:

You argued against people who were asking for it, I think it speaks a lot that you saw people going "please can we have a trans role played by a trans person for once" and assumed they were

and that
no. i saw someone post a picture of an example suitable actor that was nowhere even close to the ballpark of what the movie was about. i dont know why you feel like you have to make up a lie to win an argument about the casting of a movie that never got made

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

AHH F/UGH posted:

Also what about Eddie Redmayne? He's a cis white straight guy but he won the oscar for The Danish Girl. I never saw it but I heard it was good. Anyone seen it?

Yeah, speakin of that guy... I can't help but notice he's going to be in another JKR movie. I can only hope that it's because he signed a contract before JKR outed herself and that he can't get out of it without serious repercussions. Honestly I'd hope that they could just be like "gently caress yo contracts" but that might be expecting too much.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Jonny Depp being ejected from a JKR movie for abusing women is some powerful irony though

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Jonny Depp being ejected from a JKR movie for abusing women is some powerful irony though

my very thought when I saw that

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

no. i saw someone post a picture of an example suitable actor that was nowhere even close to the ballpark of what the movie was about. i dont know why you feel like you have to make up a lie to win an argument about the casting of a movie that never got made

That picture was of the only notable high-profile trans man and not of who they believed should be cast in that role.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
it was the example of what messaging they want conveyed by the cast choice. either way doesnt fit the character

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

it was the example of what messaging they want conveyed by the cast choice. either way doesnt fit the character

Was it?

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014
chaz bono looks dumpy enough to play that guy but i don't think he acts and i'm pretty sure he's only famous for being related to a famous person. almost as if.............. there's a dearth of trans man actors and people would benefit from having any trans man celebrity who actually does anything to look to as an example.............. :thunk:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The messaging they want conveyed in the cast choice is that an appropriate trans man is playing the trans man.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Closing this thread so you can all sit around and think about what you've done. Shameful posting itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I would like to take this chance to thank everyone who posted knowledgeable and earnest responses ITT to help us gain a better understanding of these issues. It would please me greatly if GBS could host more LGBTQIA+ discussions in the future, and perhaps we'll learn to keep it worth reading! Time will tell.

In closing I will simply restate Elentor's recommendation of reading the works of Leslie Feinberg if you want to continue learning perspectives on these topics.