Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

zoux posted:

What were the soviets doing in Afghanistan anyway? What were their military aims?

They aimed to protect a friendly Afghan government, the coup against Amin was rather pointless, but that was their goal there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't Amin even the one who asked the Soviets for help in the first place? Or am I misremembering the events?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

zoux posted:

What were the soviets doing in Afghanistan anyway? What were their military aims?

Ok, so the really short version is that in the early 70s the last Afghan king was deposed by one of his siblings in a palace coup. The new guy styled himself the first president of the Afghan Republic, but it was your pretty standard issue single party "president for life" style dictatorship.

In the late 70s another coup ousted him in favor of the People's Democratic Party of Afghanistan, an equally run of the mill local Marxist organization. They were obviously pro-Soviet. Then poo poo gets weird there's in-fighting among the Afghan Marxists. Within a few years there's an ugly split over ideology, and the Soviets send in a bunch of commandos to assassinate the head of one side to tip things in favor of the other faction. Basically the head of the pro-Soviet faction got deposed and probably murdered, then they killed the new guy who took over. They claimed he was secretly a pro-Western fascist, but my two cents are that he probably leaned more Maoist and the USSR and China were still a tad on the outs. Not as bad as in the 60s, but still not quite warm and fuzzy.

After that they invade to support the new government and end up sucked into a bunch of years fighting Mujahadeen who were broadly anti-Communist on religious grounds. The irony is that the Soviets managed to unite Afghan society with their invasion in a way that it had never been before that, even if there continued to be tons of internal divisions even among the Mujahadeen.

midnight77
Mar 22, 2024
are there any good books about the balkan front of WWI? Especially on audible.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

edit: never mind you wrote "Balkan" but my idiot brain auto-filled "Baltic"

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Random kind-of-specific milhist question that I've always wondered but never seen mentioned anywhere: What was the deal with German army group names during WW2? At times they used geographic names (like Army Group North, Africa, or Group South Ukraine) and at other times they used A, B, C... and there doesn't seem any particular reason for the switch. For the invasion of Poland there were Army Groups North and South, then for the battle of France there were B, A, C from north to south, then for Barbarossa there was North, Center, and South, but South later split into A and B. Was there any real reason for this naming, or was it just 'whatever seemed good at the time'? It makes sense to me that they wouldn't follow the WW1 tradition of naming army groups after their commanders, since Hitler was often at odds with commanders and would replace them, but the geographic vs letter designations always struck me as odd.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Hitler: "Ok, so get this: we name the army groups 1, 2 and 4..."

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

Random kind-of-specific milhist question that I've always wondered but never seen mentioned anywhere: What was the deal with German army group names during WW2? At times they used geographic names (like Army Group North, Africa, or Group South Ukraine) and at other times they used A, B, C... and there doesn't seem any particular reason for the switch. For the invasion of Poland there were Army Groups North and South, then for the battle of France there were B, A, C from north to south, then for Barbarossa there was North, Center, and South, but South later split into A and B. Was there any real reason for this naming, or was it just 'whatever seemed good at the time'? It makes sense to me that they wouldn't follow the WW1 tradition of naming army groups after their commanders, since Hitler was often at odds with commanders and would replace them, but the geographic vs letter designations always struck me as odd.
Considering how often they got renamed, I think it was simple convenience:

You can see the same thing on the Soviet side.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Grumio posted:

Hitler: "Ok, so get this: we name the army groups 1, 2 and 4..."

So the germans didnt do this, which is why we get the https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_tank_problem

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

DTurtle posted:

Considering how often they got renamed, I think it was simple convenience:

You can see the same thing on the Soviet side.

The specific thing that I find odd isn't renaming them, it's switching between generic letter designations and geographic designations. I don't see that on the Soviet side, Soviet Fronts were named for the area where they operated (and the one "Reserve Front) and changed names as the area of operations changed and they got split, merged, or disbanded. For example, the Northern Front split into the Leningrad and Karelia Fronts, but it didn't split into front A and front B. It's the thing where German Army Group South split into AG A and AG B, the later those turned to AG South Ukraine and AG South that doesn't make sense to me - If they were always A, B, C, D (or numbers, like the Western Allies army groups) or always geographic (like the Soviet fronts) I wouldn't have the question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_(military_formation)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The specific thing that I find odd isn't renaming them, it's switching between generic letter designations and geographic designations. I don't see that on the Soviet side, Soviet Fronts were named for the area where they operated (and the one "Reserve Front) and changed names as the area of operations changed and they got split, merged, or disbanded. For example, the Northern Front split into the Leningrad and Karelia Fronts, but it didn't split into front A and front B. It's the thing where German Army Group South split into AG A and AG B, the later those turned to AG South Ukraine and AG South that doesn't make sense to me - If they were always A, B, C, D (or numbers, like the Western Allies army groups) or always geographic (like the Soviet fronts) I wouldn't have the question.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_(military_formation)

A and B show up because for Case Blue, the Germans wanted to split the two divergent objectives of the offensive into different army groups. C actually existed from the beginning of the war to cover the Western defenses during the invasion of Poland. And then the other letters kinda show up as they want army group commands for broad theaters. There are some intelligence functions to being weird about it, but mostly, army groups in the german army were more administrative units than anything else.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there have been mcdonalds in japan for 53 years

the guy who got rich bringing mcdonalds to japan is loving wild too:

quote:

His strategy for selling McDonald's to the Japanese people involved the following statement: "The reason Japanese people are so short and have yellow skins is because they have eaten nothing but fish and rice for two thousand years... If we eat McDonald's hamburgers and potatoes for a thousand years we will become taller, our skin become white, and our hair blonde."

He went on to write a book claiming that his secret to business success was his Jewish superpowers, since one of the lost tribes of Israel ended up in Osaka, and that discrimination against the Kansai accent was antisemitism on the order of the Holocaust.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Only 930 years and we'll find out if he was right

Pantaloon Pontiff
Jun 25, 2023

Panzeh posted:

A and B show up because for Case Blue, the Germans wanted to split the two divergent objectives of the offensive into different army groups. C actually existed from the beginning of the war to cover the Western defenses during the invasion of Poland. And then the other letters kinda show up as they want army group commands for broad theaters. There are some intelligence functions to being weird about it, but mostly, army groups in the German army were more administrative units than anything else.

Right, I get why they went from one Army Group in the area to two. What I wonder about is why did it start as Army group 'South' for Poland, then become 'A' for the battle of France, then become 'South' again for Barbarossa, then split with part named 'A' and part 'B', then 'B' turned into 'South' and later 'North Ukraine' then 'A' again then ended on 'Center' while the 'A' part became 'South Ukraine', then 'South', then 'Ostmark'. It's not the reorganization into two parts that I wonder about, it's why there were multiple switches between arbitrary (A, B, A again) and positional (South, Center, South Ukraine) naming conventions, and I don't know if it's just 'no reason they just did it' or if there was a reason. As far as I know other armies didn't do this, they had one naming convention of either arbitrary (numbers for the western allies) or positional names (Leningrad Front, Stalingrad Front, 1st-4th Ukranian Fronts) and stuck to it.

I'm guessing there was no real reason for it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
From what I read from one WW2 textbook, in one of those cases it was about trying to remove the "stink" of recent defeat from them.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
44°38'53.55"N, 63°34'50.82"W

What is this? It's kinda got the zig zag pattern on trenches but I've never seen it anything quite like it before and the placement seems odd too

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Right, I get why they went from one Army Group in the area to two. What I wonder about is why did it start as Army group 'South' for Poland, then become 'A' for the battle of France, then become 'South' again for Barbarossa, then split with part named 'A' and part 'B', then 'B' turned into 'South' and later 'North Ukraine' then 'A' again then ended on 'Center' while the 'A' part became 'South Ukraine', then 'South', then 'Ostmark'. It's not the reorganization into two parts that I wonder about, it's why there were multiple switches between arbitrary (A, B, A again) and positional (South, Center, South Ukraine) naming conventions, and I don't know if it's just 'no reason they just did it' or if there was a reason. As far as I know other armies didn't do this, they had one naming convention of either arbitrary (numbers for the western allies) or positional names (Leningrad Front, Stalingrad Front, 1st-4th Ukranian Fronts) and stuck to it.

I'm guessing there was no real reason for it.

The German army had no traditional Army Group North or Group B or whatever. They were formations established to group together more persistent units for a specific task. One of the things that a higher general might have to do when taking over is establish or reorganize commands to suit the task at hand. (As detailed above by Panzeh)

Without knowing the details of it, I'd say it comes down to the discretion of the generals and staff planning the operation. An army that barely existed a decade prior probably didn't have any longstanding policy on the naming of groups of army corps.

Although it's also possible that the German high command did have a naming policy at that level which was frequently meddled with.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 23, 2024

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Milo and POTUS posted:

What is this? It's kinda got the zig zag pattern on trenches but I've never seen it anything quite like it before and the placement seems odd too

That's just a bastion fort I think?. Like a star fort but littler

E: I guess it's more accurate to say it's 4 bastions that make a little star fort

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 23, 2024

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Milo and POTUS posted:

Seems like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citadel_Hill_(Fort_George) ?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The specific point is on streetview as a trench warfare exhibit.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

The German army had no traditional Army Group North or Group B or whatever. They were formations established to group together more persistent units for a specific task. One of the things that a higher general might have to do when taking over is establish or reorganize commands to suit the task at hand. (As detailed above by Panzeh)

Without knowing the details of it, I'd say it comes down to the discretion of the generals and staff planning the operation. An army that barely existed a decade prior probably didn't have any longstanding policy on the naming of groups of army corps.

Although it's also possible that the German high command did have a naming policy at that level which was frequently meddled with.

And lets not forget around 1943ish where they just start naming army groups or whatever after the General in charge because everything is such a mess and they're just scraping formations together.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Cyrano4747 posted:

edit: never mind you wrote "Balkan" but my idiot brain auto-filled "Baltic"

Don't be sad, I read all of "Balkan front of the WWF" and to the end before my brain realized something was wrong :haw:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Tias posted:

Don't be sad, I read all of "Balkan front of the WWF" and to the end before my brain realized something was wrong :haw:

BAH GAWD THAT'S GAVRILO PRINCIP WITH A STEEL CHAIR!!!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Vittorio Emanuele: It's me Kaiser!

Franz Joseph: Aww son of a bitch.

Vittorio Emanuele: It's me Kaiser, it was me, all along Kaiser!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Jaguars! posted:

The specific point is on streetview as a trench warfare exhibit.

That's it then. I did try streetview but I couldn't find that angle.

PittTheElder posted:

That's just a bastion fort I think?. Like a star fort but littler

E: I guess it's more accurate to say it's 4 bastions that make a little star fort

Well yeah that I knew lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well then I didn't understand the question. :v:

Still don't really, everything there seems like a very bog standard early 19th century British fort, is there something you're seeing that I am not? The version google is serving to me doesn't include trenches, just ditches around the fort.

e: VVV ahhh I see, yeah I hadn't flipped it to satellite view

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 23, 2024

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

If you zoom in there is a small section of crenelated trenches in the moat of the fort.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Libluini posted:

Wasn't Amin even the one who asked the Soviets for help in the first place? Or am I misremembering the events?

Yes

basically the Soviets thought the dude was an idiot whose brutality and purges were destabilizing the country (they were right), so they couped him out to replace him with someone more pliable

it's just the cure was worse than the disease so to speak

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Cyrano4747 posted:

After that they invade to support the new government and end up sucked into a bunch of years fighting Mujahadeen who were broadly anti-Communist on religious grounds. The irony is that the Soviets managed to unite Afghan society with their invasion in a way that it had never been before that, even if there continued to be tons of internal divisions even among the Mujahadeen.
it was also because the Soviets massacred protestors in the aftermath of the 1979 coup, and generally made themselves feel like a foreign occupying army

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_Hoot_uprising

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've noticed a common refrain in history throughout the 18th, 19th, and most of the 20th century of civil unrest turning explosive when armed soldiers/guards/policemen go off to confront it armed mainly with guns. When you send off a bunch of people to confront an unruly crowd and the only thing that they have to work with is their uniforms and their guns, it seems natural that when the uniforms alone fail to intimidate the crowd, the only advantage they have left to deal with the crowd is their guns.

But these days there's a lot of complex and diverse options for riot police to use to control and directly deal with crowds. Some of them may be more technologically complex like tear gas and water cannons, but the most common tool modern riot police is simple shields. Maybe they're fancy transparent lightweight polymers, but the basic tool is millennia old.

Why did it seemingly take people so long to reinvent the idea of shield walls for nonlethal confrontation?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've noticed a common refrain in history throughout the 18th, 19th, and most of the 20th century of civil unrest turning explosive when armed soldiers/guards/policemen go off to confront it armed mainly with guns. When you send off a bunch of people to confront an unruly crowd and the only thing that they have to work with is their uniforms and their guns, it seems natural that when the uniforms alone fail to intimidate the crowd, the only advantage they have left to deal with the crowd is their guns.

But these days there's a lot of complex and diverse options for riot police to use to control and directly deal with crowds. Some of them may be more technologically complex like tear gas and water cannons, but the most common tool modern riot police is simple shields. Maybe they're fancy transparent lightweight polymers, but the basic tool is millennia old.

Why did it seemingly take people so long to reinvent the idea of shield walls for nonlethal confrontation?

Uh, the Peel Principles arean incredibly recent form of policing, unruly peasants were absolutely not getting nonlethal confrontation before guns came along.

I mean generally people would try and resolve civil unrest without violence because killing your own labour force bad, but there are a hell of a lot of pre-18th century protests that are remembered as 'the X massacre'.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Alchenar posted:

I mean generally people would try and resolve civil unrest without violence because killing your own labour force bad, but there are a hell of a lot of pre-18th century protests that are remembered as 'the X massacre'.

20th-century ones, too.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
it ain't called the deescalation of blair mountain

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

thatbastardken posted:

it ain't called the deescalation of blair mountain

#unionstrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Arbite posted:

Vittorio Emanuele: It's me Kaiser!

Franz Joseph: Aww son of a bitch.

Vittorio Emanuele: It's me Kaiser, it was me, all along Kaiser!

lmfao