Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hello, I am trying to help a friend figure out how to connect several USB webcams to an HDMI switcher. The setup is these webcams are placed around a church, then are to be connected to this switch which then feeds into a laptop. The webcams in question are these https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083QM78TV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share and the HDMI switch is this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1507214-REG/blackmagic_design_swatemmini_atem_mini_switcher_control.html. As this is a church the budget is small, I am not privy to the exact dollar amount they have to work with.

The original though was to use a goofy daisy chain of Webcam USB > female female USB adapter > USB to HDMI adapter ( https://www.target.com/p/j5-create-usb-a-3-0-hdmi-adapter-white/-/A-52135860)> HDMI cable > board. The manufacturer of the USB to HDMI adapter has specifically said that this adapter will not work for this application.

How can we connect those webcams to that board?

I hope that this is the correct place to ask this question and I appreciate any assistance or ideas that you all might have. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

This doesn’t really work. There’s no such thing as a converter from USB to HDMI that I’m aware of, and you couldn’t just plug all the webcams into a USB hub because the switcher wouldn’t see them.

The appropriate way to do something like this is a bunch of DSLRs/mirrorless cameras that A. have a clean hdmi out, and B. have the dummy wall power battery put in them.

edited: to make it clear how hacky any ways I could think of doing this as purchased are, the only way I could think of doing it is get a bunch of computers, plug the webcam into the computer, open the windows 10 camera app on the webcam, then plug the hdmi switcher into the computer and use it like a second monitor which would be a nightmare.

Raymond T. Racing fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 7, 2020

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Thank you! That is what I was afraid of, I'll work with him to see if we cant swap out the cameras to make it work as you described. Very much appreciated!

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Behotti posted:

Thank you! That is what I was afraid of, I'll work with him to see if we cant swap out the cameras to make it work as you described. Very much appreciated!

So to clarify what you’ll need to be looking for, you’ll need to be looking for “clean video out” or something like that mentioned either on the product page or in camera forums.

Just as a quick example, the T5i from canon appears to do it if you use magic lantern to hide the overlays, but doesn’t do it stock.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
Here is the direction we are headed. We ditched the hardware HDMI switcher, getting that to work would be beyond our budget. We are basically going to use OBS and 4 USB webcams to complete what they need and with a test run today it looks like it should work and we will end up spending less than previously expected.