Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
It's too long and they are too old.

When we went to the start of the Irishman's career, I was honestly baffled a couple of times. What motivates this senior man to start stealing and hanging out with mobsters at his age? Is this young girl in his household his granddaughter? And they are now christening a newborn... his own?! De Niro was in mid-seventies so his character was at least 40 years younger! Makeup and visual effects can only do so much, he looks 55-60 in his "youth".

It was a bizarre decision not to use a younger actor. Imagine Godfather II with 50 year old Marlon Brando playing his young self. That would be a smaller age difference. One of the most problematic scenes is when the Irishman's De Niro beats up a grocery store owner. He jogs stiffly instead of running and attacks the grocer with all the realism of a pro wrestling fight. I couldn't help but remember James Caan's savage street beating of Gianni Russo in Godfather I. Compared to that, this was pathetic.

The movie is also unnecessarily long. You could cut an hour out and improve the pace. Too many slow scenes, discussions that don't advance the plot, driving around... For instance, there's a wedding of two characters we don't see elsewhere in the movie and we go to a slow motion study of the faces, dresses and so on. Why even show the wedding, let alone in slo-mo?

On the positive side, the cast is all great actors and when they play their own age, they are perfect. It's a decent crime story but I don't see it becoming a classic, despite all the effort to make it 'epic'.

3/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU