Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

How did the AI end up in the satellite again? I forget what happens when the creepy mind wipe plan goes awry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

WarpedLichen posted:

How did the AI end up in the satellite again? I forget what happens when the creepy mind wipe plan goes awry.

IIRC it's not clear how Miyuki Inaba ended up in the command ship in the first place, possibly some finagling on her own end or maybe she was moved there for safety after one of the Sectors was lost. Either way, she was trapped there when Ida force-shutdown Sentinel No. 16, but Tomi was able to undo that in her own story.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

We’ve unlocked a whole bunch of stuff now that the game is over. We’ll go into all that later. Today, we’re just going to focus on the Event Archive.

First, let’s look at those new characters we can view. As you can see here, this scene now accurately lists 2188!Natsuno and 2188!Miura in the “Appearances by” area. It didn’t quite lie before and say they were our Natsuno and Miura, but it was definitely confusing because it was just blank previously.

We can also look through all of these “new” characters’ categories to more easily review the story per-character. These categories are as follows:
  • Juro Izumi (2 loops ago)
  • Chihiro Morimura
  • Tsukasa Okino
  • Tamao Kurabe
  • Tetsuya Ida
  • Keitaro Miura
  • Chihiro Morimura (Child)
  • Tsukasa Okino (2 loops ago)
  • Chihiro Morimura (2 loops ago)
  • Tomi Kisaragi (1 loop ago)
  • Tamao Kurabe (1 loop ago)
  • Juro Izumi (1 loop ago)
  • Chihiro Morimura (1 loop ago)
  • Megumi Yakushiji (1 loop ago)
  • Ei Sekigahara (1 loop ago)
  • Ryoko Shinonome (1 loop ago)
  • Tsukasa Okino (1 loop ago)

Side note: Ei and Ryoko from 1 loop ago only “appear” in the scene “A Relentless Nightmare”, where Juro Izumi from 2 loops ago slaughters the teenagers. They’re not actually in the scene though, I guess this is just meant to imply they were there, along with Juro and Okino from 1 loop ago, who are also listed but do not appear.

• Juro Izumi (2188)
  • Chihiro Morimura (2188)
  • Megumi Yakushiji (2188)
  • Ei Sekigahara (2188)
  • Renya Gouto (2188)
  • Natsuno Minami (2188)
  • Keitaro Miura (2188)
  • Takatoshi Hijiyama (2188)
  • Nenji Ogata (2188)
  • Tomi Kisaragi (2188)
  • Tetsuya Ida (2188)
  • Yuki Takamiya (2188)
  • Ryoko Shinonome (2188)
  • Tsukasa Okino (2188)
  • Tamao Kurabe (2188)
Technically, you could make a case that this list should have one more character that isn’t on it: Kengo Ogata from 2188. However, since he’s an AI recreation of that person, and none of the “true” AIs like Wajima, Onishi, or Miwako are listed, I see why he was excluded, though those AIs weren’t based on real people.

Now, if we head down to the bottom of the Event Archive, we’ll find that all of the ending scenes have been added, nifty. However, there’s one more at the very bottom we don’t recognize. “Certainty” should be the last scene, so what’s “Infinite Possibilites”?

Chapter 120: The End Is Never The End

Music: Double Bind (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

RS13 ɑ. Our new home.

We fly past the two moons…

We fly millions of parsecs through space…

We pass galaxies…

Until we find a new one.

(For the record, the number currently on screen represents a distance of 1.4748768466e+22 miles. I don’t know exactly how big that is either, but suffice it to say it is incomprehensibly vast)

Huh? Isn’t this…

Music: KAIJU (Kazuki Higashihara)

And there you have it.

That, my friends, was 13 Sentinels.

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 4, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks so much to all of you who stuck with this behemoth. It's been a hell of a ride, and I know it wasn't always the easiest to follow. I'm going to have some bonus updates explaining some story turns, so submit any lingering questions you might have about the story and maybe I'll answer them using the Mystery Files and the developer Q&A.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thanks for all the hard work!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Can't say I'm too sold on that final reveal ending, feels like it cheapens the whole thing a little bit.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Arist posted:

IIRC it's not clear how Miyuki Inaba ended up in the command ship in the first place, possibly some finagling on her own end or maybe she was moved there for safety after one of the Sectors was lost. Either way, she was trapped there when Ida force-shutdown Sentinel No. 16, but Tomi was able to undo that in her own story.

We do know WHY she ended up there, what we don't know is HOW exactly. In 2064, Juro Izumi, Ei Sekigahara, Ryoko Shinonome, Tsukasa Okino and Renya Gouto (remotely) were the only humans piloting sentinels. There were other sentinels, but they were piloted by AIs based on the 4 survivors from the previous loop who didn't get scanned into Sector 0 correctly: namely Keitaro Miura (BJ), Tamao Kurabe (Android Tamao), Takatoshi Hijiyama (the cut character who apparently died during that battle) and Tomi Kisaragi (Miyuki Inaba). When Morimura force shifted the kids to keep them from dying it also force shifted the AI Sentinels. For whatever reason Kisaragi didn't get sent to a sector and instead went to the orbital system. Remember there's a scene between Ida and The Tomi Android where she says she's found out he put the other 3 AIs in the spare sentinels and she demands he put her in too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ah, right, yes.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arist posted:

Thanks so much to all of you who stuck with this behemoth. It's been a hell of a ride, and I know it wasn't always the easiest to follow. I'm going to have some bonus updates explaining some story turns, so submit any lingering questions you might have about the story and maybe I'll answer them using the Mystery Files and the developer Q&A.

Thank you so much for doing this lp as without it I would never have found out about this amazing game.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide
Good game, cool LP

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think any amount of questions I could ask would be satisfactory to me, so I won't bother. Probably just stuff I forgot on account of how naturally spread out updates were. It was still enjoyable to watch. Thanks for putting in the effort!

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Thanks for all the hard work on making this LP as enjoyable as it was!

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

I get the basic gist of the story but it feels needless complicated and I'm honestly not sure all the various twists were strictly necessary. Also for the record 769,226,253 parsecs is a hair under 2.5 billion light years away; at sublight speeds we're talking about travel times comparable to appreciable fractions of the current age of the universe. Entire stars will have been born and fallen off the main sequence in this time. Even if they didn't doom the Earth to a grey goo scenario, the planet would already be a charred husk from Sol becoming a red giant.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Thank you for helping the school robotics club win their big meet

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Thanks for the LP! It was a blast to read. I basically binged the entire thread and my jaw dropped multiple times, heh.

Question: Why isn't Okino a sentinel? I kept thinking he was a pilot and would get a story eventually...

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:

kw0134 posted:

I get the basic gist of the story but it feels needless complicated and I'm honestly not sure all the various twists were strictly necessary.

This is my biggest takeaway from the game. It's really ambitious that they decided to make a game with, ostensibly, 13 protagonists with unique stories that all fit into a larger narrative, but their reach exceeded their grasp. There are definitely times where I felt a twist happened "just because" and some of the characters' stories end up so convoluted that they hardly left any impression at all.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

wait hold up what did that last scene mean?? :confused:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Booky posted:

wait hold up what did that last scene mean?? :confused:

There are N copies of the terraforming kit that spread around the universe; 2188 Ryoko's sabotage happened before the data got copied so every single one of these copies has to deal with the Kajus; here's another one where Nenji ends up with Natsuno.

scaterry posted:

Question: Why isn't Okino a sentinel? I kept thinking he was a pilot and would get a story eventually...
He got killed before the battle so Universal Control wouldn't let him still be alive and fighting. He managed to hack enough of the system to chat with Hijiyama but nothing more.

Current loop Tamao is in the same boat, she got killed by Kajus in '1945' but death in the simulation does not mean death in the real world, UC only flushes the tank after a Kaju victory and not on simulated death of the occupants. She was fine* when the rest of the team won.
*mostly. She presumably needs a LOT of therapy, but so does everyone else.

I assume there should strong safeguards preventing the 15* clones to actually die in the simulation, but obviously Kajus can ignore those.
*the 13 protagonists, Okino, Tamao.

E: i think Juro's grandmother is either an AI NPC Tamao or the previous loop Tamao in an android body.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Oct 5, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Juro's grandmother is an AI, yes.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Wait, so Tamao's a flesh and blood human being like the others? I thought there were only 14 (13 Sentinel pilots + Okino).

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

MachuPikacchu posted:

Wait, so Tamao's a flesh and blood human being like the others? I thought there were only 14 (13 Sentinel pilots + Okino).

Yeah, there were 15 humans designed to kick off the restart of the human race based on the 15 (at the time) final survivors on the ark. That's why when Tamao died way back when (I think it was an early-mid Miura chapter), she shifted just like Okino did, unlike say, Nurse/Teacher/Catsuit Morimura, who was essentially a brute-forced AI at that point, so when she died she left a corpse. It's also why Ida saved 1-loop-ago Tamao as an AI and built the Tamao-bot for her.

Really, Tamao makes more sense than quite a few of the actual pilots being part of that select choice of "leaders". Megumi and Ei are more questionable inclusions, for a start. At least depending on whatever cover story Ei had to get him on the station in the first place.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MachuPikacchu posted:

Nope, there's 15.

I believe (and don't quote me on this, I might be remembering incorrectly) Okino and Tamao were actually planned to have stories, but they were cut because the plot was already monstrously complex and the devs were under time/budget pressure.

On a different note, thanks for this fantastic LP of an equally fantastic game!

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

The LP rules, Arist rules.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

It's a very interesting game, from a narrative structure standpoint, so I'll probably play this for myself sometime in the future (after transitioning to a cutscene that says I'm 30 years in the past) and see how that changes the experience.

Good show.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Kith posted:

The LP rules, Arist rules.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Bonus: Unraveling The Puzzle

We’ve got a few things I want to show/explain before ending this for good. Namely, I want to explain some stuff about “loops” and how they interact with the characters in more detail, but we’ll cover all the postgame unlocks.

The first thing we’ll show is Destruction, where… we got a D in the final battle. I’m not doing it again, I promise, I just want to remind you all how bad I did. There isn’t even a real reward for doing better, as there are no Files locked behind it.

Slightly more relevant is that there is a whole postgame of many, many bonus waves to do! We also will not be participating in that!

No, we’re here for the Mystery Files, because we’ve unlocked several dozen by completing the game.

Goddamn Ida. I know it’s not “our” Ida, but this fuckin’ guy, I swear. I just want to punch him in the throat whenever I look at him.

So, this is actually one of the more interesting little details revealed in the postgame Mystery Files: the reason Juro’s grandma was never home. She got deleted by Universal Control when the android Tamao came to Sector 4. This isn’t even important, they could have easily just not told us this because it affects basically nothing, but it’s pretty funny.

Literally every single side character has now had their file updated to note that they are an AI managed by Universal Control. I’ll skip over the rest of them, though.

Also, Miwako deserves to be a full person!

I’m sorry, I still can’t get over Shadow 426’s rear end.

gently caress you, Ida.

At least 300 loops before this latest one, huh? Keep that in mind going forward.

I’m of two minds on the whole “all the probes are repeating this infinitely with different permutations” ending. On the one hand, I find it both funny and charming. It’s silly and sweet and I enjoy it. At the same time, though, my critical brain is noting how existentially horrifying all this is, considering how many untold generations of children got turned into slurry and flushed by a dumb computer, and now that’s gonna happen everywhere else too. Best not to think too hard about it!

All the sectors have the same new updated text too.

The facility housing the pods is reaching its breaking point, eh? Why could that be? Well, it says here that it was built to last for about 5,000 years, which explains… basically everything. It’s why Sector 0 won’t carry on past the final loop, and why this is the final loop to begin with. Remember what I told you to remember earlier, about there having been at least 300 loops before this one? Well, each loop lasts ~16 years. 300×16=4800, so we’re already almost at 5000 years just from the 300 loops that have happened so far, meaning the facility would need to be recreated and this stage of Project Ark started over. That’s why this was the final loop; because the facility would be destroyed and recreated.

In case you needed confirmation of who was born in which sector, here you go.

Time for The Truth.

Before the patch, this used to not be sealed behind a 0 Mystery Point lock, which allowed the player to convert their Mystery Points into Meta-Chips before the endgame. You can’t do that post-patch, which is extremely annoying.

And that’s all the Mystery Files, not counting the ones I skipped because they were just Sentinel armaments or whatever.

A few more things before I sign off, though. First, we should note one more thing about loops: see, two loops ago, Juro Izumi and Chihiro Morimura were uploaded to Sector 0 and sent to Sumire Bridge in 2189 one loop ago. In that loop, Izumi becomes a wanted terrorist who is killed by Morimura, who also dies, but not before sending Tetsuya Ida to Sumire Bridge in 2189 in the current loop, where Morimura is waiting… but Izumi is no longer there. What gives, here?

Well, at some point Izumi must have updated his data in Sector 0, overwriting his younger self, while leaving Morimura and Ida to meet up in the current loop. Morimura, who did not update her data, did not replace her younger self at Sumire Bridge. That’s probably the most complicated thing to figure out in the game. The rest you should generally have the pieces to figure out, especially if you have actually played it and can thus use the Event Archive to put everything in the correct order.

But… that’s 13 Sentinels! Your reward for reading this far is this sick remix album I never linked because the loving cover is a massive spoiler! Also, here’s a gif I made of the corkboard’s progress over the course of this LP:

Thanks for reading.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks, everyone. I'm going to do some final edits to the LP and submit it for archival hopefully before the end of the year. Still have to finish unbreaking the music links for the first ~40 updates, for example.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Awesome job once again, for real!

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Arist posted:

I’m of two minds on the whole “all the probes are repeating this infinitely with different permutations” ending. On the one hand, I find it both funny and charming. It’s silly and sweet and I enjoy it. At the same time, though, my critical brain is noting how existentially horrifying all this is, considering how many untold generations of children got turned into slurry and flushed by a dumb computer, and now that’s gonna happen everywhere else too. Best not to think too hard about it!

This is what I think is the game's strongest feature. I'm hard-pressed to name another video game that offers the same level of both existential horror and unrelenting hope for the future at practically the same time as 13 Sentinels does. It's really an impressive feat.

Thanks for an amazing thread and let's play, Arist!

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

My only complaint about the remix album is that the patch didn't add the Brat Overflow remix in as music for one of the waves. Such a missed opportunity...

Real talk though, I for one appreciate you bringing attention to this gem. I grabbed this once updates started to slow down a bit because I had to know where this all went, and I can safely say it was money well spent.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Thanks for all your work on this and cheers to the cork board!! :cheersbird: It's been a real ride

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I guess we're not getting an explanation for why imperial japan was chosen to be one of the top 6 cultural epochs that had to be preserved into the future. I'd have settled for "it was the idea of the original hijiyama, who was a loving moron, as you can imagine from his much better clone still being my dumb rear end son please don't bully him".

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

That's the only culture that would accept giant robots.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Harsh, but fair.

Master of None
Nov 4, 2011

GimmickMan posted:

I guess we're not getting an explanation for why imperial japan was chosen to be one of the top 6 cultural epochs that had to be preserved into the future. I'd have settled for "it was the idea of the original hijiyama, who was a loving moron, as you can imagine from his much better clone still being my dumb rear end son please don't bully him".

I blame Miura for including imperial Japan.

Arist posted:

You’re one to talk. Still reading about history 24/7?
Yeah. It’s fascinating stuff.

Two hundred years ago, right? When this all started?
Part of a world war, involving countless powerful nations. It reshaped the way we approach technology and ideology. Like I said, fascinating stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
It is 100% on space nerd Miura. Space nerd Natsuno should've listened to her mom