Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Hi Goons,

I want to do a Kickstarter in a month or so. This is for a product where I expect to sell not very many units and to sell at a relatively high unit cost (e.g. shoot for a hundred or so at $250 - $300 a pop). I don't mind if sales are much smaller (If I can sell, say, five, I'll make a dozen or so to defray the one time costs, keep a few, give some to friends, etc).

I'm comfortable with the technology I'm using. For vendors, its a sliding scale. Like for example, I need a wiring harness for this product. If I sell 10 units, I'll make the cables by hand. At 100 units, I'll have the cable shop I like make them. If I need 50,000, I'll have to look in to AliBaba or something. I suppose my only worry is that if this is vastly more successful than I'm anticipating, I have no idea how to handle the logistics of doing assembly, final test and shipping for thousands of units. On the other hand, if it comes to that, I'll have a cool $1.5M of investor money to make that happen (and the unit cost would drop substantially at those quantites). It would be nice to have that kind of problem.

I've also set up an LLC and will apply for a business license next week after they clean up the COVID spill at city hall. This will all be done on the up and up.

I am not doing this to make money. That would surely lead to disappointment. I'm doing this for the experience. I design stuff for a living, but there's something really cool to me about the idea of taking an idea from conception to boxes on store shelves that overanalyzing some vacuum brazed assembly just doesn't. Also, the sums of money are small enough that even if I had to, say, give away a dozen, I'm not going to end up in the poorhouse. I'm not quitting my day job, etc.

Has anyone done a Kickstarter, and if so, what do you wish you knew beforehand? Thanks.

So, has anyone done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
shitloads of goons in Trad Games have made kickstarters, to the point where they have a megathread to share them and an industry thread for tips on making them, if you poke around there - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

DC to Daylight
Feb 13, 2012

Scudworth posted:

shitloads of goons in Trad Games have made kickstarters, to the point where they have a megathread to share them and an industry thread for tips on making them, if you poke around there - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3777631&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Excellent. Thank you. A different kind of product, but I'm sure there are a lot of commonalities to the experience.