Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show is actually good and Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory) is a really good actress

If you like Mysteries then you might like this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It is good!

And it was just renewed for a second season.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

You're right! It is good!

I really loved the cast, it's absolutely stacked. So many great performances.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It is good!

And it was just renewed for a second season.
I liked it, but I'm not sure how I feel about a second season. It seems like the story is done and any attempt to extend it will just seem contrived, and probably not end up being anywhere near as good.

Of course there was the sequel hook at the very end with Shane, and I guess Megan's whole subplot was basically only there to set up the next season, but I'm still dubious.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I worked on this! AMA

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
I liked this, but I'm really surprised and kinda disappointed tbh that it got renewed for a second season. Seemed to work pretty well as a self contained story and one of the main plot devices of this series, that that she can't remember anything because she's frequently blackout drunk, doesn't really seem to work now that the character has gotten sober.

I just really hate that everything has to be part of a big ongoing thing these days and there's no willingness to just let things be self contained stories.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

theflyingexecutive posted:

I worked on this! AMA

Oh cool! What part did you work on? Are you going to keep working on the next season?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Third episode watched. This is really good so far. Kaley Cuoco is awesome as always, Shane is awesome, Annie is awesome.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Professor Shark posted:

This show is actually good and Kaley Cuoco (The Big Bang Theory) is a really good actress

If you like Mysteries then you might like this show

I am glad that the big bang theory is dead. Cuoco may have earned a fortune on it, but it was not really giving her a chance to show her acting skill.
I might check this out sometime.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show was awesome yeah

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mall Santa Metis posted:

Oh cool! What part did you work on? Are you going to keep working on the next season?

I was on the shooting crew (probably won’t get more specific than that) and I’d definitely return if my boss is offered the job again.

TV hiring is done mostly department by department by the line producer, if it’s not a big network job that shoots nine-ten months out of the year, you’ll see different department heads drift away to take other jobs and their teams will generally follow them. TFA would’ve taken about six months if not for COVID (see if you can guess during which episode the shutdown happened, caveat: Bangkok and Rome were filmed ahead of time and out of order), so definitely time for depts to find different work.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I worked on this! AMA

I've been meaning to ask you this ages, and it's a two-fer:

What production did you had the best experience working on?

And, what production as you the most proud of having help make?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Also, Missy from Doctor Who as Miranda, Daario Naharis from GoT as Alex! This is some cast!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Missy from Doctor Who as Miranda

She's also been in good shows as well.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've been meaning to ask you this ages, and it's a two-fer:

What production did you had the best experience working on?

And, what production as you the most proud of having help make?

I really enjoyed working on Succession. It was a wonderful team, from the cast and crew all the way up to the showrunner. It was a demanding shoot (the traffic jam in S1 was shot during the shortest day of the year and involved a hundred cars and a hundred pedestrians) but there were always very interesting locations (jets, helicopters, skyscrapers) and the mood was very lighthearted. TFA also had a spectacular crew working under very, very challenging conditions: three countries, very complex shots and locations, long days, and then COVID.

I’m most proud of working on HBO’s Betty. The stories told on that were very real and it is so obviously a passion project. A lot of NYC skateboarders got SAG cards (and much-needed cash) on that job. Plus, best wrap gift. As far as sweat equity goes, TFA wins again. I did more 18 hour days and 3:30am wake ups on that one than any other job combined.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Also, Missy from Doctor Who as Miranda

Who was originally going to be played by Sonoya Mizuno! They drastically revamped the character and they made the very difficult decision to recast her almost halfway through filming. Fortunately, her pieces at the top of the season were from afar, making the reshoots a little easier, but Michelle was working day in day out for weeks to catch up.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Wow, that would have given a very different vibe to the character.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man I really need to watch Skate Kitchen/Betty

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I worked on this! AMA

What's the easiest job for the highest pay on the set of a TV show besides an actor?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

If you don’t need much sleep, Teamster equipment truck/trailer driver. $4-5k net/week to drive the truck from the lot and park it by set. Some days they may have to move it once or twice and often they help the crew load and unload as well, but the vast majority of the day is left to their own devices. An average day is 16 hours though, depending on where set is and which department’s truck it is, trailer and van drivers are in earlier and often leave later.

Gaffer and Key Grip are pretty good jobs too. They are constantly plugged in on set and don’t get much in the way of downtime and obviously their jobs are crucial to helping the director and DP get the frames they want, but they often own the everyday equipment and truck trailer and rent them to the production.

Camera scenic is often very chill. They have to be on walkie channel one and listen to the assistant director yell all day for the two or three times they’re called to dull a surface or quickly paint something. They’re generally the raddest and most upbeat people on set with the best stories.

Core stand ins have a great gig. Really good ones will talk to the cam ops and ADs about what’s best for the scene and can let their cast member know if they changed blocking or anything while they were away, but you’re still top-tier if you wait patiently right by set to be called in and stand on your tape mark. That one starts at $25/hour and you get all the OT and penalties and other benefits from SAG.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I didn’t like the ending tbh

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Zosia Mamet playing a lawyer is like a kid playacting a lawyer

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Like I said, Shane owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dF3obt7zj8

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I don't think I quite processed "Michael with an M?" when I first watched it lol

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mall Santa Metis posted:

I don't think I quite processed "Michael with an M?" when I first watched it lol

The smoothest pick up lines :v:

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm only 20 minutes into the first episode and I'm already all the gently caress in

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Late to the party on this show, but it's so stupid and great.

It's like Three Days of the Condor or The Fugitive, but if the civilian hero caught up in the central mystery was unstable and incompetent. Cassie's choices are so awful and self-destructive, it walks this line of incredibly stressful and kind of hilarious. And occasionally genuinely depressing.

I don't see how they can organically do a S2, now that the central mystery around Alex's death is resolved and Cassie has been exonerated. But I guess "organic" is a stupid complaint to have and I should just go along for the ride.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Finally finished the season, and I quite liked it, but like so many others I am extremely apprehensive about Season 2 and Cassie being a CIA asset presumably chasing Megan.

But hey, if it gives us more Shane -- this time as a secret agent -- then it'll probably be stupid enough to be entertaining.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This show made me really miss Bored to Death, if only because it made me miss well intentioned but hilariously flawed detective characters with useless sidekicks

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Good show, happy to leave it as a single series. (was Condor s2 any good?)

Tickled pink to recognise Miranda after a long think

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Binged this in a day. It's pulpy, with good production values -- very watchable. Some of the characters are very endearing too (Shane! And Buckley, before the abrupt twist).

But more than a few things piqued me:

1. This show leans so hard on those flashbacks and visions. I think they would have worked better used sparingly. It's like House of Cards (bless its cursed corpse) if Kevin Spacey had talked into the camera for 60% of the runtime.

2. Most of the episodes were great, but the finale was pure Hollywood nonsense. It half-asses that exchange with the Italian grandma, sidestepping all the language barriers. How are Miranda, Enrico and Buckley all still alive? And then all the plot twists that seem to exist only to set up Season 2. They gave up all pretenses of realism as the show went on.

3. Trauma and mental illness and alcoholism are all important topics I suppose, but they're just kinda tapped in media these days. Prestige dramas seem to use them as an excuse to work in eye-popping fantasy sequences. Legion, Maniac, Russian Doll, and now this. I guess it kinda helps normalize discourse about mental illnesses, yet I can't help but feel that it's at least a little exploitative.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

But more than a few things piqued me:

1. This show leans so hard on those flashbacks and visions. I think they would have worked better used sparingly. It's like House of Cards (bless its cursed corpse) if Kevin Spacey had talked into the camera for 60% of the runtime.

Not the reason for doing them of course, but those stage days kept the crew sane lol. The show had so much heavy location work, two actor, no extra stage days were where everyone (but camera and set dressing) could unwind and play a bunch of ping pong. Kaley had the PAs put up a ping pong table on each stage and would take all challengers in the before times.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This is an amazing show-length Alfred Hitchcock movie. Everyone involved is acting their hearts out.

e: Also there's a special kind of pleasure in seeing people make cascading bad decisions over and over again.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 20, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Professor Shark posted:

This show made me really miss Bored to Death, if only because it made me miss well intentioned but hilariously flawed detective characters with useless sidekicks

To be fair, Bored to Death got at least 2 seasons more than it should theoretically have gotten, because like nobody watched it. It was really good!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

mistermojo posted:

I spent 10 years as a lawyer in an NY firm and she is totally plausible fwiw.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

mistermojo posted:

It is her tattoos that prevent me from taking her seriously. A lawyer at a swanky New York law firm with a heart tattoo on her palm? That is like Tim Cook having Mike Tyson’s face tattoos.

All of the hand tattoos in general break the character, but it’s that palm tattoo that should really make people think twice about casting her in the future. It’s just so distracting. She was the second best character in Girls after Adam Drivers’ character, so I’d like to see her in more shows, but makeup has to coverup all of her tattoos unless the role supports it.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Uh, I didn't even notice her tattoos lol

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Also, people with "real jobs" have had visible tattoos forever by now. It's 2021 ffs lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Really enjoyed this show. Lots of surprising twists and turns, and enjoyed watching the story all unravel.

I don't know if I ever really considered Kaley Cuco's acting abilities before this, but she does a brilliant job of playing an alcoholic in denial, who's equal parts loveable and a dirtbag. I was very much reminded of a friend who suffered from similar demons, but was altogether functioning on the outside.

But that ending, woof. Too many contrivances for me. Where the hell did Miranda go when all the commotion happened in the hotel room? She just played dead in the bathtub that entire time? She must have snuck out sometime between Buckley fighting Cassie and the CIA guy showing up. Why didn't she help out, if the whole stated reason for her traveling to Rome in the first place was to defend Cassie from Buckley?

Also the other attendant being a CIA agent was a reach, and as much as I enjoyed this season, I really don't know how this would go in a second season as 'Cassie Bowden, secret agent.'