Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Tió de Nadal, is a wild trip. I’m not gonna make fun of it, I think it’s awesome!

Each country has its own representation of Santa, cool, I’m an immigrant here in Norway and Julenissen is basically a Christmas Gnome, elf on the shelf is Rampenissen, which is basically “Naughty gnome” or something. Other countries it’s a old man, or old man frost or whatever.

However in Catalan, it’s a log, which parents put a blanket over the back of, so they can hide presents under, and make it out that the log pooped the presents.

That’s fun, however It gets better.

Wikipedia posted:

On Christmas Day or, in some households, on Christmas Eve, one puts the tió partly into the fireplace and orders it to defecate. The fire part of this tradition is no longer as widespread as it once was, since many modern homes do not have a fireplace. To make it defecate, one beats the tió with sticks, while singing various songs of Tió de Nadal.

So now there’s torture involved on Xmas day! Some might find this different but come on, isn’t spending time with your family some form of torture?

I wonder if they have a song?

Wikipedia posted:

The tió is often popularly called Caga tió ("making GBS threads log", "poo log"). This derives from the many songs of Tió de Nadal that begin with this phrase, which was originally (in the context of the songs) an imperative ("poo poo, log!"). The use of this expression as a name is not believed to be part of the ancient tradition.

Oh heck yes! They seemed to lean real hard into the making GBS threads part of it.

I kinda want Caga Tió to be our families new tradition.

Is there any other weird Santa’s I’m missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
It's me, Seigward of Catalans! I'm trying to poop out these presents but I'm in a bit of a pickle: no matter how hard I try, they just can't seem to come out! And oh, have I tried!

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Shifty gimbal posted:

It's me, Seigward of Catalans! I'm trying to poop out these presents but I'm in a bit of a pickle: no matter how hard I try, they just can't seem to come out! And oh, have I tried!

Have you tried being set on fire? Or hit with sticks?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
More like nutty

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Thing does look stanced to heave out a massive dook. :shrek:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I wish I had a magical present pooping log

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Shifty gimbal posted:

Hmmmm

Mmmmmmhmm

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

this is exactly the face I would make if I was making GBS threads out 4K TVs

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Salacious Spy posted:

this is exactly the face I would make if I was making GBS threads out 4K TVs

calm.jpg

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

this is a great read, OP. thanks pal! merry christmas!

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

:jackin:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Don't they also have a tradition of recreating the whole village of bethlehem, which for some reason includes a figure of a guy taking a dook?

Edit: yup

Catalans like their poop.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Im the pooping Pope.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Linux Pirate posted:

Don't they also have a tradition of recreating the whole village of bethlehem, which for some reason includes a figure of a guy taking a dook?

Edit: yup

Catalans like their poop.

Spongebob was in Bethlehem? Wow cool didn’t know that.

Also I thought that was Tommy Weiseu, then realised it was a Jackson.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Dec 24, 2020

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Into The Mild posted:

Spongebob was in Bethlehem? Wow cool didn’t know that.

Also I thought that was Tommy Weiseu, then realised it was a kiddy rapist.

Traditionally it was just a peasant or shepherd, but modern ones can be of anybody.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

I found another one from Spain. This time a different region.

quote:

Apalpador, a mythical figure of a charcoal burner. He’s from the eastern areas of Galicia.

Ok cool so far I guess.

quote:

He comes down the chimney between Dec 24 and Dec 31.

I guess that makes sense with him being a charcoal burner (whatever the heck that means)

quote:

He touches the bellies of sleeping children to make sure they have been eating well.

Ohhh kayyyyy, as a dad, good luck telling your kid that some old charcoal dudes gonna fondle their belly whilst they sleep.

So what does he look like (best photo I could find)

This poo poo is nightmare fuel.

VinylonUnderground
Dec 14, 2020

by Athanatos
I didn't get this scene from Ricky Bobby because of course everybody loves Baby Jesus. He brings presents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Nh_3JCFj8

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
read the thread title as "Carlos Santana" and boy am i disappointed.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

How are u posted:

read the thread title as "Carlos Santana" and boy am i disappointed.

poo poo now I’m readin it like that.

Let’s just pretend the log was invented by Carlos Santana.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's probably better than the American santa that stalks children all year then breaks into their house to leave them gifts or coal.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's probably better than the American santa that stalks children all year then breaks into their house to leave them gifts or coal.

Everyone on the world: let’s have a silly elf that brings presents to kids and does silly things whilst they sleep over Christmas.

Americans: This is elf on the shelf, he sits and watches you, ratting you out to his boss Santa, he’s 24/7 surveillance, he’s basically Xmas cops. Sucked in kid this is your future get used to it.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Into The Mild posted:

Everyone on the world: let’s have a silly elf that brings presents to kids and does silly things whilst they sleep over Christmas.

Americans: This is elf on the shelf, he sits and watches you, ratting you out to his boss Santa, he’s 24/7 surveillance, he’s basically Xmas cops. Sucked in kid this is your future get used to it.

I think it's good not to lie to children.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Weka posted:

I think it's good not to lie to children.

I think it’s good not to be under constant surveillance... but hey I’m a filthy Australian living in Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Buddy you are already under constant surveillance, elfs are just there to acclimatize you