Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

esselfortium posted:

I haven't! I've heard it's pretty different?

It is, yeah. For the most obvious thing, the manga has Hachimaki as the protagonist and main viewpoint character from the start, although the rest of the cast gets focus chapters. Ai is the viewpoint character at the start of the anime, but she doesn't even show up in the manga for over a volume.

The office staff from the anime doesn't exist in the manga, which ties into how (if memory serves) the Toybox crew gets more respect in the original. They're astronauts, they do a vital job, and they do it well, so people don't crack jokes at their expense too often. It's not like they're highly praised or anything (Everyone around them? Also astronauts.) but they're not a local punchline either.

The terrorist plot is also just a couple chapters in the manga, as opposed to being central in the anime, there's a lot of plots from the manga that don't get used in the back half, and so on.

It's one of my favorite manga, so I highly encourage checking it out. (Ai's got a pretty interesting backstory in it.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

During my Mari Okada kick I watched through Hanasaku Iroha over the summer and it was probably one of the best things I saw this year. I started off hating a lot of the characters other than Ohana, but they did such a good job fleshing them out and making me like everyone by the end. I haven't seen the movie yet so I should get around to that, and apparently they just released a book about reopening the inn. It feels like the first full 26 episode series I've seen in a while which I really appreciated.

I followed the MAL recommendations from Hanasaku Iroha and saw other really good shows this year while getting caught up like A Place Further Than The Universe. The Seinen thread got me to watch Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, and After the Rain this year, all of which I enjoyed very much.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Wark Say posted:

I was going to e-smack you upside the head until I realized that you were talking about the Future Diary guy's most recent manga to get an adaptation. :mmmhmm:

:v:

Tbf I haven't seen Big O yet so feel free to e-smack me for that

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
drat, i'm jealous. you get to watch big o for the first time.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I watched a few older 'cute girls doing cute things' anime during lockdown.

Nichijou was funny as gently caress, I actually watched the dub and thought it was well done. 10/10.

Blend-S was kind of forgettable. Sort of funny but the age difference between the main girl and the guy who kept hitting on her was pretty skeevy. 4/10.

Hitori no Bochi was pretty funny and the 'wa ha ha' one-off ending was sufficiently memorable that I won't forget about Bochi. 8/10.

The World God Only Knows different genre, but still. I read the manga way back in the 00s and fell off when the scanning site I was using vanished or something, saw it on Crunchy and gave it a look. Really fun, little bit disjointed going into the third season unfortunately, but still entertaining throughout. 8/10.

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun holy poo poo this was better than it had any right to be. Just really funny and everyone had great chemistry. 9/10.

I'm not good at writing reviews but hey-ho. There was some fun stuff I'd missed out on the first time around.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

macabresca posted:

:v:

Tbf I haven't seen Big O yet so feel free to e-smack me for that

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

drat, i'm jealous. you get to watch big o for the first time.
The perfect 1-2 combo of posts. :)

Shyrka posted:

Monthly Girl's Nozaki-kun holy poo poo this was better than it had any right to be. Just really funny and everyone had great chemistry. 9/10.

I'm not good at writing reviews but hey-ho. There was some fun stuff I'd missed out on the first time around.
The manga is also incredibly fun, so feel free to pop-into the former anime now-manga all-purpose thread if ya' like. :)

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I finally sat through the entire run og Legend of the Galactic Heroes last year. I tried a number of times to watch it before but I finally had ample amounts of time to binge it back in April and May.

So glad I did too, such a great story and I'll eagerly watch the remake when they pick it back up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

During my Mari Okada kick I watched through Hanasaku Iroha over the summer and it was probably one of the best things I saw this year. I started off hating a lot of the characters other than Ohana, but they did such a good job fleshing them out and making me like everyone by the end. I haven't seen the movie yet so I should get around to that, and apparently they just released a book about reopening the inn. It feels like the first full 26 episode series I've seen in a while which I really appreciated.

I followed the MAL recommendations from Hanasaku Iroha and saw other really good shows this year while getting caught up like A Place Further Than The Universe. The Seinen thread got me to watch Wotakoi, Amaama to Inazuma, and After the Rain this year, all of which I enjoyed very much.

If you haven't already, you should check out the other two of PA Work's unofficial working life trilogy, Shirobako and Sakura Quest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I do recommend you that, if you decide to watch Shirobako, do try to pace yourself and not binge it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Wark Say posted:

I do recommend you that, if you decide to watch Shirobako, do try to pace yourself and not binge it.

Honestly binging it worked pretty well for me :shrug:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Julias posted:

Honestly binging it worked pretty well for me :shrug:

Yeah, I don't see any particular issue with binging Shirobako as compared to any other show. Any particular reason for the suggestion?

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Ibblebibble posted:

If you haven't already, you should check out the other two of PA Work's unofficial working life trilogy, Shirobako and Sakura Quest.

I've already seen Shirobako and really enjoyed it for the characters, setting, and as a love-letter to the animation industry; I'm just waiting for the movie to be subbed to get more. And thanks for the Sakura Quest recommendation, it definitely looks like another show that'll be right up my alley.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I watched Scryed Alteration on bluray because it'd been forever since I watched the original anime, and it turns out I'm not actually sure what was cut from the two-movie OVA, because everything I remember from the TV series was in the movies, and it was exactly as good as I remember - which is a rare treat.

Also, there's apparently a dubbed version of the TV show coming to the west:
https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1257074026423431168

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jan 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just finished Sakura Quest and while I still think Hanasaku Iroha was better, it was still very good. I seem to end up enjoying shows set out of the city that lean into their setting, and this one was excellent at portraying the difficulties of living in a small town. I really loved the way it ended; they did a good job of making the festival seem fun and alive, unlike the one that happened in the middle of the season.