Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Thank you Burger King, I appreciate your contrition.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
So Burger Kang's new hand breaded chicken sammie is actually decent. Quality wise it was very similar to the Popeyes chicken sammie, in that it wasn't a frozen patty. Flavor-wise wasn't bad, I had the spicy one but you can't beat Popeye's sauces. There wasn't much heat, just that weird vinegar tabasco flavor and what tasted like it was starting to get hot and never does. I would get it again, maybe check out the regular one. Bun was strangely yellow though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I've tried the McDonald's and the Wendy's versions and wasn't a fan of either.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Iain posted:

Bun was strangely yellow though.

Might be because it's a potato bun?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

We going to get an official verdict on the Taco Bell chicken sandwich taco? I had one today and it was surprisingly okay, small but cheap and the sauce is good

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Jenny Agutter posted:

We going to get an official verdict on the Taco Bell chicken sandwich taco? I had one today and it was surprisingly okay, small but cheap and the sauce is good

Good question. I think since it's definitely part of the chicken wars it has to be judged (although I understand the arguments people have against it being a Popeyes Ripoff).

I think surprisingly okay is a good description. I liked it. Tasted very fresh and the flatbread was nice and warm. I would slot it in Tier 2.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

oh KFC is finally doing a spicy version so I can finally try theirs

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Please don't doxx me.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

FBS posted:

oh KFC is finally doing a spicy version so I can finally try theirs

Spicy disappointment

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I had one the other day but maybe they have a new version. What I had was just the regular version with a slightly spicy mayonnaise. It wasn’t bad but I like KFC chicken just in general which is what it tasted like.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Q_res posted:

Might be because it's a potato bun?

I have had several buns at various places in the past few years that are purportedly some new kind of bun. Potato bread bun. Brioche bun. Pretzel bun. They look completely different from the standard bun. But they all taste exactly like a standard bun. Sometimes they don't butter/grill the inner side and it tastes like a regular bun but not as good.

Real-rear end potato buns/rolls are amazing with a fatty meat and a sharp dressing to accompany it. Easter/Christmas ham leftovers on a potato roll with good mustard are a real treat. Weird and unique buns do exist in the wild. Roast beef on kimmelweck roll is outstanding, each part really works with the other. I've had breakfast sandwiches to die for that were served on brioche or challa.

When it's a fast food chain, The Cool New Hip Bun Type just looks different but has the same consistency as their standard bun. There are probably some exceptions out there but I've never met one.

The popeyes chicken bun and all its copycats are just like a regular rear end fast food bun but the outside looks a bit shiny. It looks like it should at least have a different texture if not taste, but it don't. It's a regular rear end bun that had plastic surgery done.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'd been meaning to drop Jack N the Box in the ratings to Burger King inedible tier because after about a month of their new chicken they went back to being 100% freezer burned shrunk rear end chicken every time . . . but they've got new chicken AGAIN already. New one is mid tier.

Same with Carls. Their spicy version just doesn't qualify as a Popeye ripoff, it has bacon and swiss cheese, with the sauce which is "fire honey" which is like the mega whiteperson version of Sriracha. I gently caress with it. It would be way higher. But it's not Popeyes Ripoff.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Rick posted:

I'd been meaning to drop Jack N the Box in the ratings to Burger King inedible tier because after about a month of their new chicken they went back to being 100% freezer burned shrunk rear end chicken every time . . . but they've got new chicken AGAIN already. New one is mid tier.

Same with Carls. Their spicy version just doesn't qualify as a Popeye ripoff, it has bacon and swiss cheese, with the sauce which is "fire honey" which is like the mega whiteperson version of Sriracha. I gently caress with it. It would be way higher. But it's not Popeyes Ripoff.

So I discovered that they actually have THREE spicy chicken sandwiches now. They have their traditional spicy (which is a spicy patty, with mayonnaise and a single tomato and lettuce, you can get cheese on it though which I recommend ), their "Blazin' Cluckin'" which is their normal cluckin' sandwich with a fairly mild "spicy" sauce on it, "Blazin Cluckin' Deluxe" which has an onion ring, cheese and bacon on it; they also tried to sell me a double which sounded like a bit much even though I didn't eat dinner tonight until now.

I kind of don't like the cluckin' version to be honest, it IS a higher quality chicken but that just means it's easier to tell that it's been frozen because it gets gristly. I prefer the normal spicy even though it isn't a Popeyes-like.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Rick posted:

So I discovered that they actually have THREE spicy chicken sandwiches now. They have their traditional spicy (which is a spicy patty, with mayonnaise and a single tomato and lettuce, you can get cheese on it though which I recommend ), their "Blazin' Cluckin'" which is their normal cluckin' sandwich with a fairly mild "spicy" sauce on it, "Blazin Cluckin' Deluxe" which has an onion ring, cheese and bacon on it; they also tried to sell me a double which sounded like a bit much even though I didn't eat dinner tonight until now.

I kind of don't like the cluckin' version to be honest, it IS a higher quality chicken but that just means it's easier to tell that it's been frozen because it gets gristly. I prefer the normal spicy even though it isn't a Popeyes-like.

Normal spicy with cheese, plus jalapenos, is my favorite. Blazin didn't live up to its name somehow. Maybe cause the spicy sauce is creamy.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Did you get these sandwiches all at the same time of day? I feel like quality would vary based on when you get the sandwich.

Are there no chick fil-as near you? Not great politics aside, they are supposed to make a good sandwich

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Probably very few the same time of day, although most late night. I have tried the BK one at several times of day just because it’s crazy to me that people like it but all my BKs are bad so it still doesn’t have a fair

Chik-A-Fil, I don’t consider them a Popeye Ripoff. I think their claim of inventing the chicken sandwich is absolutely ridiculous but they definitely were out ahead of Popeyes as far as release order.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Rick posted:

Chik-A-Fil, I don’t consider them a Popeye Ripoff. I think their claim of inventing the chicken sandwich is absolutely ridiculous but they definitely were out ahead of Popeyes as far as release order.

This claim always bothered me as well, just as much as the apparent common consensus that the "popeyes" style chicken sandwich didn't exist since more than a few years ago. Yes it's good and inspired a bunch of copy cats, but it wasn't an invention, just deciding to consistently do things right, which really shouldn't be that hard of a bar to pass. It feels like one of those weird Mandella Effect situations where I am one of the last sane people on earth.

No chik-fil-a, I'm pretty sure you didn't invent the chicken sandwich sometime in the 20th century, I'd bet someone made one sometime before that limited by "were there chickens around" and "has bread been invented yet".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I've had breaded chicken sandwiches from local restaurants for years before the sandwich wars began.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My experience is that BK's ripoff chicken sandwich is one of the better ones on the market. Good crunch and patty size. Spicy sauce could be spicier but I'm a maniac with a high chili tolerance.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't understand the love of Chik Fil A. Yeah they're absolutely lovely people but their food just isn't that good either. I heard so much about it for so long and there was one a city away from me that I finally went to a few years ago and thought to myself that it was great. But I was 100% just trying to convince myself it lived up to the hype. They're really plain and boring. Like something I'd make at home for lunch but without any seasoning. I guess they're higher quality than some place like McDonald's but that's not even a bar you have to jump over. They opened one up here a couple of years ago and the line is always backed up every single time I drive by it. It's really just not that good. I don't get the hype.

Their waffle fries are rockin' though.

----------------

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
dunking the waffle fries in the chic fil a sauce is the best thing about CFA. if I'm stuck in an airport somewhere then the chicken sandwich is better than a lot of options but not something worth going out of the way for. Popeye's gang

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

their food just isn't that good either. I heard so much about it for so long

:wrong:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The polynesian sauce is just cheap chinese sweet and sour sauce too.

----------------

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

I’d take a high school caf chicken sandwich over Chick-fil-A any day of the week. Bland rear end chicken on wet rear end buns

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Chik-Fil-A is 100% adequate. I would never pay for anything from there for obvious reasons.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pennywise the Frown posted:

their food just isn't that good either.

I just simply don't agree with this. They are poo poo. .. .but the food is good.

a sexual elk posted:

I’d take a high school caf chicken sandwich over Chick-fil-A any day of the week. Bland rear end chicken on wet rear end buns

I honestly don't get this but I'm wondering if it's a pickle thing, I order them without pickles (I get there is a fundamental pickle involved in the making of it, but it doesn't taste pickly like Churches) and I've never had a wet bun.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 28, 2022

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
The pickles are one of the best parts.

----------------

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Speaking of CFA, have anyone tried these CFA ripoffs from Sam's Club yet?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

halokiller posted:

I had the bites when they first came out and they were sampling them a couple years ago. they were pretty delicious and pickle-y, but I've never purchased them

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

halokiller posted:

The sandwich is great for frozen food. I decided to give it a chance because the instructions seemed like they gave a poo poo. Turns out it makes a decent sandwich. If you're craving and don't wanna go out (or can't) then it's great.

----------------

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Panera does not belong on this list as much as they would like to but it's mid anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

The sandwich is great for frozen food. I decided to give it a chance because the instructions seemed like they gave a poo poo. Turns out it makes a decent sandwich. If you're craving and don't wanna go out (or can't) then it's great.

chicken breasts like that are hit or miss because they can be pretty tough. i make my own filet-o-fishes from frozen bags like that and they're foolproof

----------------