Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I just got an Anker wireless charger for my phone, and it's pretty great! I remember having wireless charging on my Palm Pre a decade+ ago, and it was terrible, but this seems great - it charges more or less the same speed as wired (I think), doesn't make obnoxious noises/vibrations, and so far I haven't had it fail to connect when I plop my phone on the pad.

I'm planning on getting a LiFePO battery pack* soon so that I can do work stuff in the woods/park/whatever and get out of the house a bit easier. It'll also get me a power source if I ever get an HF transceiver. LiFePO batteries are new to me, and they seem strictly better than lithium-ion batteries. It looks like they're pretty much just used for stuff with high draw - vehicles, ham radio, etc. why is that? cost maybe? but they don't seem any more expensive than getting the same thing in lithium-ion or wet cell (for vehicles)

* but i will never get a life

battery tech has really gone crazy in the past several years. renewables are starting to look like they'll eventually be better ideas than nuclear+renewable and that gives me hope for the world. i love that wireless charging is starting to take off.

so let's talk about batteries and power supplies and stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i am the dude with a big lead-acid power setup but

this is my favorite one. what's cool about it is that you can keep the 12v charger plugged into it forever and whatever you plug into the USB port is now on a teeny tiny UPS. it'll run off the wall wart normally but if the power goes out it instantly starts supplying from the batteries. also the 12v input is also a 12v output so yeah its good for radio poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just plug in the cable that came in the box

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

phones don’t come with chargers anymore

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i'd like to know far more about batteries

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use a cpap and am going camping in feb and my wife is glaring at me about ensuring i have a way to power it. there are a few options (inverter, 30amp to 10amp cable with rcd) but a battery pack that output 240v AC would be ideal. that lifepo looks cool but $usd200 seems kinda overkill

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that talentcell lithium ion looks pretty nice, not gonna lie

wireless charger thing still working like it should

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i have to take my chevy in to the dealership so they can make it have less available battery capacity :coolfish:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
is that some weird EV thing?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

bolts have been spontaneously combusting (like 3 total) so as a precaution Chevy issued a recall which consists of a software update that reduces the available battery capacity

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
an EV manufacturer displaying an abundance of caution and helping people stay alive even though it might make Number go down? I don't believe it

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

cool tip I saw today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nB9rfIr1MM

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

this is my favorite one. what's cool about it is that you can keep the 12v charger plugged into it forever and whatever you plug into the USB port is now on a teeny tiny UPS. it'll run off the wall wart normally but if the power goes out it instantly starts supplying from the batteries. also the 12v input is also a 12v output so yeah its good for radio poo poo
those are super useful and cost effective but i'm not sure if i would trust it to never catch on fire considering the high energy density (there's even a model with a 50% higher Wh rating). it largely depends on the bms. they do make cheap fire retardant bags which might be a good idea

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gentle Autist posted:

i use a cpap and am going camping in feb and my wife is glaring at me about ensuring i have a way to power it. there are a few options (inverter, 30amp to 10amp cable with rcd) but a battery pack that output 240v AC would be ideal. that lifepo looks cool but $usd200 seems kinda overkill

Check the CPAP's specs. A lot of them can run off 12V without any modification.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

phones don’t come with chargers anymore

what yes they do. i got a oneplus 8T and it came with some fancy usb C charger that maxes out the power spec and charges the phone from 0 to 100 in like 20 mins.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Gentle Autist posted:

actually interested to hear the trip report on whatever you end up going with

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jonny 290 posted:

i am the dude with a big lead-acid power setup ...

how big we talkin'? post pics pls

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a couple different vape batteries on my desk

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://youtu.be/md3B3I7Nmvw

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

get a Mandibular Adjustment Device (MAD); it pushes your jaw forward while you sleep and gets rid of the need for a cpap for like 85% of the people who try it

they're also called TAP devices but i forget what it stands for. Thorton something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

one of those would def work for me, but I'd still have to get an overnight sleep test done and gently caress doing that during a pandemic

of course they might have a takehome deal I could use now that there's a pandemic. I should look into that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:chanpop:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

how big we talkin'? post pics pls

530 watts of panels
two 110 AH deep cycle batteries
50 amp charger/power supply in case it gets cloudy
1200w pure sine inverter

it's pretty nice.

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
ok goons i got this idea to create a lipo forest fire.

I have a power source I can constantly draw about ~5 watts out of. Any higher and the voltage collapses.
I have constant loads (LED lights) that draw like 12 watts that I only want on at night. Another load is a gate opener that has high peak current but overall low usage.

I was thinking, couldn't I slllloowly charge a battery during the day (@5W), then discharge at night? During discharge draw 5W from the charger, the remaining 7W from the battery.

I can't find a programmable charger that allows me to twiddle max charge current (that isn't also $300)

Only real requirement is battery chemistry that can handle winter north of the 45th (so like -20F). size weight do not matter. 12v is fine. the supply voltage is 48V but falls over to like 30V when loaded.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Achmed Jones posted:

one of those would def work for me, but I'd still have to get an overnight sleep test done and gently caress doing that during a pandemic

of course they might have a takehome deal I could use now that there's a pandemic. I should look into that

the take home thing usually comes back inconclusive and you have to do the inpatient study anyway. if insurance is paying then do whatever but if it’s out of pocket just cut to the chase.

edit: lol this is an old thread, sorry for the bump

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
the weird thing is you know those electric scooters they just leave laying around? there's like 30 or 40 18650s in each of them.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i charge my phone at night beside my bed with my wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

my stepdads beer posted: