Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who was YOUR Pro-Wrestling Champion for December, 2020?
This poll is closed.
Jon Moxley (FORMER AEW Champion) 6 7.32%
:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW Champion) 28 34.15%
:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) 28 34.15%
Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) 7 8.54%
:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) 0 0%
:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) 1 1.22%
Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) 3 3.66%
:kiddo: Suzu Suzuki (ICEx∞ Champion) 1 1.22%
:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) 0 0%
:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) 2 2.44%
Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) 3 3.66%
:cheersbird: None of the Above 3 3.66%
Total: 82 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The competition looked stiff in November, with NOAH and TJPW both putting on incredible title defenses that had DPPH buzzing (the TJPW show blew away the record for most MOTYCs in a single show) but even in spite of all their plaudits, Go Shiozaki and Yuka Sakazaki would have needed to combine their votes to only JUST manage to get past the vote total of AEW's Jon Moxley. This marked the 4th month in a row and the 6th month this year that Moxley had won the monthly poll... not bad for a guy WWE tried to claim simply didn't have the mental fortitude to be a pro-wrestler. But will he win this month? After being dethroned as the head of AEW, this is his last chance to appear in the monthly polls for awhile. Or will another of the very accomplished wrestlers in the other wrestling promotions (or indeed, in AEW) finally have their moment in the sun?

Now it is time to decide Don't Post Puro Here's pro-wrestling champion for December. Eligible Champions are chosen on a combination of accessibility, prestige/notoriety and by overwhelming popular request. For promotions where lengthy periods of time pass with no title defenses, promos, appearances, shows etc those champions will be dropped from the poll for that period only, then return when once again relevant. Champions not making the poll this month include: Asuka (Raw Women's Champion); Hikaru Shida (AEW Women's Champion); Suwama (Triple Crown Champion); Tetsuya Endo (KO-D Openweight Champion); Tetsuya Naito (IWGP Champion); and Yuka Sakazaki (PRINCESS of PRINCESS Champion).

Now onto the eligible contenders for the month just gone. Feel free to make an argument for/against any particular champion you think does/doesn't deserve the votes of other posters in this thread. The monthly "None of the Above" option remains a valid potential "winner" and has "won" the poll in the past, feel free to use this as a protest vote if you so wish.

Jon Moxley (FORMER AEW Champion) - Moxley's excellent 2020 ended on a sour note (Championship wise, from a personal standpoint life is better than it has ever been for him) as he and Kenny Omega finally had their title match which absolutely lived up to the hype... until the dastardly Kenny Omega CHEATED to beat Moxley despite their Gentlemen's Agreement to do a straight wrestling match drat you Omega, you screwed Moxley!

:sweep: Kenny Omega (AEW Champion) - After CHEATING to defeat Jon Moxley like a coward, Kenny Omega fled with new manager/mentor Don Callis to Impact Wrestling to talk poo poo. He then returned to AEW to defeat Joey Janela in his first title defense, to "make up" for Janela missing out on their previously scheduled match in the Title Eliminator tournament that got Omega the match against Moxley in the first place. With Janela defeated, Omega thought he had finally put to bed any claims he had taken the easy path to championship gold, only to be confronted by PAC who reminded him that Fenix had similarly been robbed of his chance in the tournament. A planned match to end the year was understandably delayed by the shocking death of Brodie Lee and the need for a tribute show, so Omega ends the year as champion but with a monster of a defense coming up in the first Dynamite of 2021.

:snod: Go Shiozaki (GHC Heavyweight Champion) - Go may have missed out on his coveted Tokyo Sports MVP award, but he did pick up on the most outstanding wrestler award, the first Dave Meltzer 5 star NOAH match since 2004 and most importantly retained his championship in a 55 minute epic against Takashi Sugiura. His reward for winning? A main event spot in NOAH's return to Budokan Hall against the legendary Keiji Mutoh, a man who stood across the ring from him in the last NOAH main event in Budokan Hall, Final Burning. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

Utami Hayashishita (World of Stardom Champion) - In a very eventful month for Stardom, Utami was able to defeat her senpai and faction leader, Momo Watanabe to retain her championship. The month ended on a bittersweet note as although Utami and Tall Saya lost their tag team championships, Utami was announced for the Wrestle Kingdom card in her Tokyo Dome debut. Though that match may be a dark match, Utami has designs on making her Budokan Hall debut in the main event, however it will be a difficult path starting with a defence against her fellow super rookie, Maika. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:scotland: Drew McIntyre (WWE Champion) - At TLC, Drew was supposed to fight AJ Styles in a TLC match. He did, though things were complicated by the inclusion of The Miz who cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase to become the third competitor in the match (the briefcase was later just given back to him for completely bullshit reasons). Drew prevailed regardless, and now finds himself sandwiched in a feud between his best friend Sheamus and Keith Lee, both vying for a title shot against Drew, with Lee getting the upper hand to end 2020 and set up a potentially fantastic match between Drew and Lee to start 2021 on a high note.

:dance: Rich Swann (Impact Champion) - At Final Resolution, Rich Swann and Chris Bey both hit each other with everything they had but were continually frustrated by the other's refusal to give up. Finally Swann got the upper hand, defeating Bey and retaining his title to end 2020 as Champion. It wasn't without a challenge though, as he was confronted by Moose who handed him the title while making it clear he intended to take it from him in 2021.

Sasha Banks (Smackdown Women's Champion) - They rushed through the Bayley feud so Sasha could fight Carmella. Carmella. She did, signing a title match for TLC in a contract signing.... and then immediately declaring they'd just have a title match tonight too why not? So they did, and Carmella won by DQ. Carmella. Because Sasha fought back when jumped from behind which is a DQ offense apparently. So they went to TLC, where they had what was said to be a very good match which unsurprisingly Sasha Banks won. Against Carmella. Carmella.

:kiddo: Suzu Suzuki (ICEx∞ Champion) - In the last championship defence of 2020 and two years removed from her debut match, Suzu successfully retained her championship against Saori Anou at Ribbonmania. Suzu promised to lead the company to their first show at the Yokohama Budokan in August, but she has a long road ahead of her. The next roadblock comes in the form of the ace of Ice Ribbon, Tsukasa Fujimoto. Thanks to GEORGE W BUSHI.

:zerg: Rush (ROH World Champion) - After a 9 month absence due to COVID-19 affecting the ability to run ROH shows, Rush returned to defend his title against Brody King at Final Battle. He did so successfully, thanks to the assistance of his brother Dragon Lee and father La Bestia del Ring. This ended a rather underwhelming 2020 for Rush on a high note.

:smugdog: Roman Reigns (WWE Universal Champion) - The "Tribal Chief" feuded with Kevin Owens through December, making it a war of Family Man Kevin Owens vs. "Family" Man Roman Reigns. Reigns came out on top in both a TLC match and a Steel Cage match thanks to the assistance of cousin Jey Uso, and ended the year still the "Head of the Table".

Shun Skywalker (Open the Dream Gate Champion) - After winning the title from Eita in November, Shun Skywalker successfully defended the belt against Ben-K at Dragon Gate's Final Gate. Unfortunately this defense was overshadowed by the appalling decision to continue the match despite Ben-K being knocked out, complete with the referee pretending he kicked out of a pinfall attempt because it wasn't the planned finish. Oof.

:cheersbird: None of the Above - If you don't really care to vote for any of these champions, just want to see the results, or just want to celebrate the fact that 2020 is finally almost over, then vote None of the Above!

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

3 days to vote, then I'll close this and put the top 25 vote-getters for the entire year into the Year End Poll, and then we can finally be done with 2020 hooray.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Go Shiozaki vs Takashi Sugiura feels like longer than a month ago, such was 2020 time but god it loving ruled. Remember Walter vs Dragunov? This was that but with added call backs to 2 decades of NOAH history and over a decade of Sugi and Go rivalry, just masterful storytelling and emotion and violence.

Hayashishta gets an honourable nod from me too, most other months she'd have done enough to get my vote but Go is out of this world in 2020.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Voting for Go today because Switchblade will be getting it next month

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

Kenny Omega for sending Big Vinny V into a seething shoot about Impact, and also his and Don Callis' amazing promo work.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

You should all watch Go vs Sugiura even if you don't vote for my boy

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7xx8gs

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Shiozaki Go to the polls

SG Bamboo posted:

Voting for Go today because Switchblade will be getting it next month

Go will also be ineligible next month. He's next defending it in the Budokan in February.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Very torn between Shiozaki and Omega, both of whom have been outstanding this month.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Go-Sugiura was amazing. No disrespect to Kenny but even if you count the AAA Mega Championship defense against Laredo Kid, he still can't touch Go.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=5DTI-Bnk4yQ

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Kenny will have plenty of chances to win the vote.

Go needs it now.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
I voted for Utami because her match with Momo was very good and I haven't seen Suzu's Ribbonmania title match yet.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

voted for the big dog.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I voted Utami because she was just a tiny bit better than Kenny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1 day into the 3 days of voting, Kenny Omega holds the lead by a single, solitary vote over Go Shiozaki. 2 days to vote, and it is far from a done deal just yet!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Maybe Go would have more wins if you puro dorks stop splitting the vote :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Maybe Go would have more wins if you puro dorks stop splitting the vote :colbert:

Maybe he should try wrestling better than his competition.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

GO GO GO

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

Pinche Rudo posted:

Go-Sugiura was amazing. No disrespect to Kenny but even if you count the AAA Mega Championship defense against Laredo Kid, he still can't touch Go.
]

He'll never get that $200 :dadjoke:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Power Windows posted:

He'll never get that $200 :dadjoke:

You should GO straight to jail for that joke.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

2 days in, 2 votes between 1st and 2nd place - you have a day left to vote before the Champ of the Year poll begins!

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

feb 2008 poll will be up whenever i get in front of a computer

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I voted for Sasha because I think her sunglasses are groovy.

No, it's not a good reason, but it is the one I chose today. And as such it shall have to do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Time is running out to vote, vote! The scores are currently tied!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

If the scores are tied can you make it look like a prom photo like you did with Daniels and Io?

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

alright we just need 20 more votes for utami and we can get the kenny/go/utami picture we all want.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Do not vote.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

If the scores are tied can you make it look like a prom photo like you did with Daniels and Io?

"Kenny, who will you go to the prom with?"
"Yes."

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
actively booing the person who voted omega and broke the tie

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

this marks the first calendar year where wwe did not win a single month, yowza

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

JOHN CENA posted:

this marks the first calendar year where wwe did not win a single month, yowza

have they won a month since aew started television?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Procrastinator posted:

have they won a month since aew started television?

They haven't even won since AEW started running shows, much less Dynamite

The last WWE winner was Kofi in April 2019, a month before the first Double or Nothing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there anyone who you think could get wwe another win ever again? i don't think daniel bryan would win

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The year ends with.... a tie! Proving once again that EVERY single vote counts, a last minute vote guaranteed that Go Shiozaki would not be (totally) denied, as he drew with new AEW Champion Kenny Omega to share the honors of Punchsport Pagoda's (welcome back, old name) Champion of the Month for December of 2020. This marked a banner year for AEW, with AEW Champions gaining the top spot in 8 of the 12 months of the year. Go Shiozaki from Pro-Wrestling Noah had a hell of a year wrestling wise, and was rewarded with being champ of the month twice this year. The last three spots went to NJPW, SEAdLINNNG and TJPW respectively, meaning for the first time in the near 15-year history of these Championship threads, a year passed with not one single WWE Champion winning a single month.

Previous winners, click the picture for poll results (where available) for that month.

* No polls were held in the first three months of 2008. In 2020/2021, polls are being held to try and emulate who might have won in those months, though nobody will ever know for sure.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also Champ of the Year thread is now up. Go vote!