Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
:iiam: Ghost Kitchen Megathread :iiam:

What is a ghost kitchen? Wikipedia defines a ghost kitchen as a professional food preparation and cooking facility set up for the preparation of delivery-only meals.

Eater ran a large story on them and essentially, if you do any sort of delivery-ordering, you might see them pop up, usually inside restaurants that already have a kitchen, but are borrowing space.

And most of the time, it's chicken wings, burgers, burritos or breakfast.

And in this thread, we get to talk about so many of them, because they will keep popping up as long as we are still stuck at home with nothing better to do, assuming "oh a new restaurant popped up" with the same stuff as the restaurant you have now, just made different.

Here are some popular ones, that you might have remembered.

Pasqualle's Pizza for instance, sells the one thing you love most about Chuck E. Cheese - it's barely tolerable pizza.

Tyga Bites is owned by Tyga, which you know coming from one of the most influential rappers, means we are sure to get some Haute Cuisine (please laugh, please? c'mon...) And that means one thing - chicken nuggies with seasoning on it!

Mr Beast Burger just opened up, and unfortunately you're not going to get an ipad or a bag of money with any purchase, just a pretty good smashburger, but make sure you pick it up yourself, as if you order it delivery, you're gonna get a soggy bun, and we know that's bad news.

And then all sorts of silly names such as "WTF is a Quesarito?!" and "Beverly Hills Burger Bungalow" and "Wing Squad" and "The Chicken Fairy" or one of my favorites Jolenes Wings and Beer which is just Lazy Dog, but with wings and beer and the umami fries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WIdpZNS8QE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i thought a ghost kitchen was an unlicensed food business run out of someone's home using the gig delivery services, like those copycat pizza delivery scams. is there a different term for those?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i have never had anything good from any ghost kitchen place, which is a shame, because they are often foods that sound good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8KfYOOEuc

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I don't want all my food covered in ectoplasm.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Universe Master posted:

I don't want all my food covered in ectoplasm.

A bunch of Arabic places merged into one location what I live. Not sure if they have the original chefs or just got bought out and deliver under different names.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I work at a ghost kitchen making wings, steaks, ribs, korean bbq, fajitas, burgers, and potatoes stuffed with anything you want from the above. I don't even know who I work for but we work out of a dead Chinese buffet. It is not good food and I'm pretty sure they get the chicken fajita meat from the government.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One that I ordered from ended up being a nearby Mexican fast food place that I like but they hosed up my order big time. The other time it ended up being Claim Jumper under another brand.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

fizzymercy posted:

I work at a ghost kitchen making wings, steaks, ribs, korean bbq, fajitas, burgers, and potatoes stuffed with anything you want from the above. I don't even know who I work for but we work out of a dead Chinese buffet. It is not good food and I'm pretty sure they get the chicken fajita meat from the government.

Please tell me more. Were you working at the Chinese restaurant and then got transitioned to the ghost menus, or how was the job described to you? Do people know how to cook everything and how are they trained? What menu items are actually good?

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

fizzymercy posted:

they all supposedly suck, idgi lol

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Bad News Everybody,

Guy Fieri is in the Ghost Kitchen Game with his "Flavortown Kitchen" that is sure to be a slamma jamma flip flop hamburger flavor saver dunkalicious super sloppy double dare bare bears donkey sauced minute to win it, get it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
Guy Fieri's restaurants are pretty okay to loving great. A ghost kitchen version of that is going to be Chili's quality poo poo. That's not awful.

Also my ghost kitchen closed down because all our paychecks bounced and I won't be getting paid for two weeks of work. The owners haven't been seen in a week and none of the vendors were ever paid. I gotta stop taking jobs I hear about at the liquor store.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
I am so down to clown with the Guy Fieri stuff

fizzymercy posted:

Guy Fieri's restaurants are pretty okay to loving great. A ghost kitchen version of that is going to be Chili's quality poo poo. That's not awful.

Also my ghost kitchen closed down because all our paychecks bounced and I won't be getting paid for two weeks of work. The owners haven't been seen in a week and none of the vendors were ever paid. I gotta stop taking jobs I hear about at the liquor store.

Did you consider the owners might have been actual ghosts, to just up and vanish like that? :ohdear:

----------------

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
A wow bao appeared on door dash and the address it appears to come from is a walmart???

----------------

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A wow bao appeared on door dash and the address it appears to come from is a walmart???

LMAO the Wow Bao I know of has an empty office building for their address. WTF is that company.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

fizzymercy posted:

LMAO the Wow Bao I know of has an empty office building for their address. WTF is that company.

pl]ump j[uicy |BAOS| made by ṕ̸̡͙̭̲̬̻̲̣̟̣̗̺̮͈̎͐̀̓̓̈́́̚ͅl̴͔̾͛̋ṳ̸͉̐m̸̬̺̲̲̲̩͈͋̈́͆͛̏͝p̵̭̀̌͊̄̍̓́͋̉͒̀͆̔͘ ̴̩̳̫̼͍̭̑̏̔̎̚̚͝ͅͅj̷̢̭͇͕͚͔̦̭̍̀̿̚ͅͅü̶̥̭͖̰̜̜͕̰̩̍̒͐̍i̶̧̛̙̖̪͚̣̬̺͙̬̬̇̓͗̔̍̿̐̓̔̎̒͜͠ͅc̶̨̜̱̉̐̚y̷̗̭͉̯̜̳̺͇̜̹̦̖̔̾͒̊̃̋̎͂̉̕̕͝ͅ ̶̮̪̺̪͔͉̪̈͑̈́͠ͅḥ̸̯͔͍͍̰̺̟̦͈̲̙͆́͂̽̾̊͛̃͐̏̕ͅą̷̧̙̞̼̘͕̩̒ͅͅn̵̈̍̏̈́̀̑̊͗̓̕͜͝d̵̢͙̩̣̮̲̭͈̗̠͇̩̥͛̓̚s̸̗̺̝̯͋͘

we're in your neighborhood,

i'm ready to deliver I just need the COD, we need a card or routing number;

i'm goin' up and down the street, i'm ready to deliver but it seems you're not ready on your end

we tried to drop the parcel off ț̵̜͙̲̘͓̊́̀͗̄͆͒̐̄͊̽̔͘͝w̷̧͙̙̮̲̩̤̭͓͂̽͐̆͛̒̅͑̍͌͜i̷̢̢͔̙̭͇̞̲͎̲̞̜̭͌͛̕͝ͅc̷̛̜͍̭̞̐̆̈́̌͑̋̇͜e̵̡̨͚̥̹̱̮̞̙̲̗̣̰̅̌̿̀͛̀́͒ but there was a commotion in your abode

there was way too much noise, we tried to deliver but nobody answered on acccount of all your hootin' and hollerin'

i'm the regional manager, this is the third time trying to deliver to you, you're account has been flagged as problematic

our driver is bangladeshi, I understand that you took issue with this, we can send an interpreter but we need your confirmation

look here bud, i've been in the grubhub business for 4 months I know how to read a shipping label

it's addressed to YOU - our phone number is 1-888-GRUB-HUB

There is a surcharge of 112.47 on account of your denial of delivery

You wanna square this off right now, with a check or a card number, I-

How's bout I come down there and rotate ya teeth a bit?

I'll be there in 15 minutes, and I'm a trained juggler, you don't want to mess around.

I'll put ya up in the air, bud. Lickety split.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It took me about half way through to realize the above was Longmont Potion Castle and I had to go back and read it again, lol.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

White Castle is doing ghost kitchen poo poo in Florida. Please do it here in Helliforinia so I can have "real" White Castle for once and not the frozen ones. I want to taste regret.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Fartington Butts posted:

White Castle is doing ghost kitchen poo poo in Florida. Please do it here in Helliforinia so I can have "real" White Castle for once and not the frozen ones. I want to taste regret.

I don't know when they actually opened in Scottsdale since it was something they were threatening to do for like 3 years without it happening but there's one open there, I guess I'll have to go try it now.

In addition, they also are operating out of a thing that apparently is just a giant ghost kitchen for a bunch of other brands; https://www.kitchenunited.com

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Rick posted:

I don't know when they actually opened in Scottsdale since it was something they were threatening to do for like 3 years without it happening but there's one open there, I guess I'll have to go try it now.

In addition, they also are operating out of a thing that apparently is just a giant ghost kitchen for a bunch of other brands; https://www.kitchenunited.com

drat I'm near that San Jose place, but all just stuff that's already in the mall.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I've gotten Beverly Hills Burger Bungalow more times than I'd care to admit, it's pretty good but recently they've been sending me burgs that aren't quite done cooking yet :(

Only worth it when it's buy one get one, which it frequently is

quick edit : Also you literally never know what kind of cheese you're gonna get on your burger or fries. It's never the same twice in a row and at this point it's just a fun game for me

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PinheadSlim posted:

I've gotten Beverly Hills Burger Bungalow more times than I'd care to admit, it's pretty good but recently they've been sending me burgs that aren't quite done cooking yet :(

Isn't this just how burgs are done in America, anything less than well done is somehow acceptable- as if the 19 cow mixture of approved-for-human-consumption chuck has the same nuance as a filet or strip and can be enjoyed rare

However, thanks to meat glue, even a steak isn't a safe bet rare anymore :sigh:

----------------

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

The first bunch of times I got it they were perfect but yeah people sometimes have weird opinions about ground beef

For the record tho they were definitely raw in the middle

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Isn't this just how burgs are done in America, anything less than well done is somehow acceptable- as if the 19 cow mixture of approved-for-human-consumption chuck has the same nuance as a filet or strip and can be enjoyed rare

However, thanks to meat glue, even a steak isn't a safe bet rare anymore :sigh:

:confused: you can totally have rare to medium rare beef here as long as it isnt from like a fast food restaurant

with pork you're taking your life into your own hands tho

WEH fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 26, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

WEH posted:

:confused: you can totally have rare to medium rare beef here as long as it isnt from like a fast food restaurant

with pork you're taking your life into your own hands tho

We have the burger chain Super Duper here where they cook all their patties medium. They grind their own meat though. Its (usually) pretty good, nice and juicy

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Pork is actually pretty loving safe to eat on the medium side.
I'm not going to do all your research and poo poo, suffice it to say most of the crap that was causing illness due to undercooked pork has been eliminated.

I'm not saying eat pork sashimi. But if you buy chops at the store and prepare them to medium you're 99.5% fine or better.

Unless you're eating fast food burgers should never be cooked above medium well
Almost rare is just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I would have agreed prior to the FDA relaxing a bunch of regulations in pork production a couple years ago. Butcher you trust, sure, but I don't gently caress with unprocessed supermarket pork anymore.