Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Wrestlehut 2000 Champion of the Month for February 2008
This poll is closed.
WWE Champion: Randy Orton :smug: 3 9.09%
World Heavyweight Champion: Edge :c00l: 1 3.03%
ECW Champion: Chavo Guerrero :ese: 1 3.03%
TNA World Champion/FORMER IWGP Third Belt Champion: Kurt Angle :patriot: 5 15.15%
ROH World Champion: Nigel McGuinness :britain: 19 57.58%
Comedy Option: IWGP Third Belt Champion: Shinsuke Nakamura :geno: 4 12.12%
Total: 33 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

It's time again to fix the errs of Wrestlehut past! We're covering February 2008 this time, not a whole lot of changes from January, but certainly some directional twists!

Misawa again didn't have a title defense this month, so two straight months with no defenses drops him off the board for now! But don't worry, he returns next month ;)

The Champions:

Randy Orton :smug: (WWE Champion) - After a hot January title defense against Jeff Hardy, Orton faced John Cena as his last roadblock on his road to Wrestlemania. Heel Randy is a cheeky bastard as it is, but this month took things to a cowardly new level when he got himself intentionally disqualified in his only televised title defense against John Cena at the No Way Out pay-per-view. This intentional DQ gave Cena the win, but ensured Randy would keep the gold until Mania time.

Edge :c00l: (World Heavyweight Champion) - The Rated-R Superstar also had a fairly easy month, La Familia was still running strong and he only had to deal with Rey Mysterio in a 5 minute match for his only televised title defense. His feud against The Undertaker would start to pick up some steam here. Not much else to write about. He uh, beat Big Daddy V on a house show? :shobon: Anyone?

Chavo Guerrero Jr. :ese: (ECW Champion) - Not only did Chavito have no televised title defenses - those house show ones are the only things keeping him eligible! - he only had one match on ECW television in the entire month! And in that match, CM Punk threw him into the Gulf of Mexico!! What kind of champion is this???

Kurt Angle :patriot: (TNA World Champion/ FORMER IWGP Third Belt Champion) - Angle has actually had a physically impressive month. Starting off hot with a title defense against former champion Christian Cage, he also had to deal with perennial rival Samoa Joe as the special enforcer in the match. He would then go on a brief tour to Japan in another title match (More on that below), then follow up the unenviable in a singles match with Kevin Nash on Impact not long after. That thing went thirteen minutes. He would then lose in a non-title affair to Christian in a Cage match. Busy month!

Nigel McGuinness :britain: (ROH World Champion) - This is often looked at as the keystone match for Nigel McGuinness's title run. In December, he missed a title defense due to concussions received in a match he had with Austin Aries the night prior. This was very well known ahead of his February defense against Bryan Danielson, and there had been some debate as what to do with Nigel. Not his health, no, that's ridiculous! Benoit was almost a year ago, why would we care about that here? No, the debate was what to do about the NY market's heckling and booing of Nigel for missing a title defense because of a concussion. Genius Booker Gabe's move? Turn the guy heel. At the time, there was a lot of disgust in the decision to do this, but in hindsight it gave us one of the best World Championship reigns of any promotion in the past 20 years, and the match the turn occurred in was an absolute wonder in storytelling itself. Danielson was a sporting man, and promised ahead of the match to not target Nigel's head, wanting to take a more mat based approach to the match. Danielson himself had a history of issues with a detached retina less than a year ago in a match with Takeshi Morishima and shoulder issues from past matches with KENTA. While Bryan kept things fair in the ring, Nigel decided to...well hey, Youtube is here for us, why don't you find out yourself? I'll link the match below :)

Comedy Option: Shinsuke Nakamura :geno: (IWGP Third Belt Champion) - This was before Shinsuke found his personality, but he was the one to finally bring the version of the IWGP Heavyweight Championship we know and love today back to New Japan after beating Kurt Freakin Angle to unify the Heavyweight and Third Belt championships. The match itself is alright, if a bit of an ugly clash of styles, but still worth going out of your way to track down. And what is a better comedy option than the championship that was the funniest point of discussion for the past year? This move also left Inoki Genome Federation without a belt, which they would solve in even funnier fashion down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for your viewing pleasure :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7rKXkFqaM

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Technically Shinsuke was also IWGP Heavyweight Champion as it was a unification match with Angle. So a tiny bit more prestigious than the IWGP Third Belt.

Anyway, if you want to watch that match you can: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV114411z7ZS?from=search&seid=16062904517790960520

I will watch it & McGuinness Danielson before voting but it's hard to imagine anything beating out McGuinness with this field.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

not nearly as comedic though

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

To this day I still have mixed feelings about that turn but realistically, Nigel was never going to be cheered over Bryan Danielson.

2008 HulkaMatt would vote Nigel and 2020 HulkaMatt would vote Nigel here. Easy choice.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 10, 2021

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

JOHN CENA posted:

He uh, beat Big Daddy V on a house show? :shobon: Anyone?
Paging Armitage, paging Armitage! Calling all stations!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

where's the none of the above option? tana lost the best last month and misawa's not on the poll so none of these losers deserve a vote

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I never had/took the opportunity to watch RoH but I still would have voted Nigel on account of them being neither Randy Orton or Edge. 2008 was such a dire time talent-wise in WWE that even as much as I disliked Cena/Batista/Orton/Edge I couldn't tell you who I'd want as champion over them. My thoughts on Orton then are the same as they are now and Edge felt like some kind of injection mold WWE main eventer who didn't do anything wrong but he didn't have any real spark on his own. And even though I thought highly of Kurt Angle I never stopped thinking he was slumming it wasting his career in the JV leagues.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I remember people posting the results of the Nigel match and me there reading along like I was getting dispatches via telegram. It ruled. If I remember right, the crowd sang,"♪ NIGEL'S FANBASE FALLING DOWN! ♪" but they were witness to the true birth of the greatest ROH World Championship reign of all time, at a time when being ROH Champion actually meant something.

Voted Nigel, and I like to think I'd have done in back in 2008 too (even if I was a gigantic Edge fan and loved La Familia).

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

did nigel win yet

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

HulkaMatt posted:

did nigel win yet

Yeah, he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64