Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

hey heather papps, friend to the bee y oh bees

have you tried/considered trying a flow hive?

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

Stoner Sloth posted:

hey heather papps, friend to the bee y oh bees

have you tried/considered trying a flow hive?

no! I have watched about 3 videos about them but the thing is I've seen nothing about them outside of social medias. it's possible they are useful in small scale apiaries aaaaaand I will absolutely check em out, especially because I'm looking to techniques that are not useful at indystrial scale but are useful in smaller situations.

the main thing I remember is they are gravity fed which means you are harvesting less than all the honey you can which again is attractive to my small scale mind.

gonna research, will report back.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Stoner Sloth

cruft posted:

Naw man, these wasps don't come after you unless you're a tarantula. I got the gal out of my office without incident, although I was scared the whole time that I would wind up curled up on the ground screaming in pain and pissing my pants.

Texas has fire ants, and those fuckers are just straight up mean. There are many reasons to avoid Texas, but this is one of the more compelling ones.

we don't have fire ants but we do have these charming fellows:

jack jumper ants - they're close relatives of the descriptively named inch ants that are common around here. like their relatives they are gamergates and even without a queen can reproduce

these guys are probably the worst ants to get stung by as they have a much higher rate of causing allergic reactions than any other ant and have caused numerous hospitalizations and some deaths - they're responsible for about 90 percent of serious ant sting allergies in australia!

generally like the inch ants you see individual ones hunting but you do NOT want to hit a nest while gardening or fall into one out in the bush as they will defend their territory aggressively

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

no! I have watched about 3 videos about them but the thing is I've seen nothing about them outside of social medias. it's possible they are useful in small scale apiaries aaaaaand I will absolutely check em out, especially because I'm looking to techniques that are not useful at indystrial scale but are useful in smaller situations.

the main thing I remember is they are gravity fed which means you are harvesting less than all the honey you can which again is attractive to my small scale mind.

gonna research, will report back.

sweet!

am interested to hear your thoughts when you've had a chance to look into them - it sounded like they're convenient and a few beekeepers like them but some other old hands don't like the fact that sometimes amateurs get into beekeeping with the idea it's as simple as just turning on a tap and out comes honey.

that sounded like a pretty understandable complaint of course but also like in the hands of someone who knows what they're doing they could be p cool

cruft

Heather Papps posted:

sometimes you ignore stuff from people you are trying to learn. when it came to ants Jason was like " pour gasoline on them sneaky like" aaaaaand we never did

In high school I had to read this short story about a guy named Joe trying to fight some ants off. I believe gasoline was involved at some point.

Pretty sure I had to read that story at least twice, which would be one time fewer than I had to read The Most Dangerous Game 🙄

Goons Are Gifts

Ants are friends, not fuel :colbert:

Queen-Of-Hearts

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Jestery

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Goons Are Gifts

some sexy bugs itt :swoon:

Stoner Sloth

Glutes Are Great posted:

some sexy bugs itt :swoon:

bugs, you ore beautiful

Goons Are Gifts

Check this out, Keith is really going for it today
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DazzlingBriskBighornedsheep-mobile.mp4

cruft

Cruft Jr recently decided she wants to be an entomologist. She's old enough now that this may come to pass.

Anyway, she just got her order of Bess beetles. Here's one named Paul:

Jestery

Eat a dick unicycle boy!

Stoner Sloth

cruft posted:

Cruft Jr recently decided she wants to be an entomologist. She's old enough now that this may come to pass.

Anyway, she just got her order of Bess beetles. Here's one named Paul:

Bess, You Opulent Beetle! :swoon:

(also recommend introducing Cruft Jr to the wonders of eusocial ambrosia beetles if she's not already a fan!)

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

are they, ya know.....doin it?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

cruft

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

are they, ya know.....doin it?

BUGGY STYLE

Jestery

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
Well they are doing it again