Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willatron
Sep 22, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

That seems like a perfectly acceptable answer though. :shrug: It's loving bullshit that an employer assumes you have to be doing "x" all day every day. If you're a car salesman M - F are you supposed to spend your weekend perusing Craigslist for trade ins?

If I hang drywall all day I probably might take a break from it in my "spare time" but I guess there's some crossover for most jobs. I'm a graphic designer and illustrator and usually have something working on the side but none of it involves a loving computer or Adobe software if I can help it since 8-10 hours a day dealing with that poo poo is enough.

Sorry for being off topic.

Working in sales myself (telecoms), there are in fact sales managers who expect their teams to be using every waking hour prospecting in one form or another. I was laid off for two and a half months last year, which turned out to be temporary, and one manager asked if I'd been keeping up with hunting for opportunities while I was waiting to find out if I still even had a job in the midst of a pandemic in which everybody was constantly being told to stay home and limit contacts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
You know, even advertising yourself just a little but can lead to a cascade of dishonest nonsense.

The garbage that that scammers get up to loving ruins everything and it crosses over a lot into so called legit advertising and marketing that it's hard to tell the loving difference. Putting my contact information and portfolio up on LinkedIn and other places has led to a barrage of highly suspect incoming cheesy bullshit. I'm an illustrator, graphic designer and sign maker with a background in printing. There is NOTHING in my skill set or job history that would lead someone to think I'd be good at selling life insurance or anything else, let alone managing a sales force, but apparently I'm "really sharp" and "just the self starter their team is looking for".

I've been aggressively job hunting and the amount of bullshit MLM calls and emails telling me what a great salesman I would make has almost led me to miss some legitimate offers and inquiries now that my email and phone are suddenly blowing up. I almost need a separate phone and dedicated email address JUST for seeking employment opportunities that lets me weed out the sales pitches.

Everything just feels like a constant come on.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Advertising has basically rendered all non-whitelisted electronic communication nearly useless.

Sales pitches make me hesistant to speak to strangers approaching me unbidden in person.

Capitalism ruins entire categories of human interaction.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I was hit with a remote access trojan a few months back and I've been trying to deal with the aftermath and figure out where it came from ever since. After reformatting, cancelling my credit cards, changing all my passwords, reporting fraud, etc. I find that I'm still being charged roughly $250/month in euros by Google Ads. I've never set up a Google Ads account but thanks to Google's universal account bullshit, my new debit card was on file because I have a Google Fi phone. The ads on my account were for some lovely itch.io game I had tried downloading (that immediately crashed to desktop) that I now suspect is where the trojan came from.

The best part is that Google's online customer support is worthless, and the Google Ads phone customer support line I was referred to is non-existent due to covid. My only recourse is to do another chargeback through my bank and hope my google account, email, and phone aren't disabled as a result, literally destroying my life in the process. Real cool that one of the biggest corporations in the world can be so absolutely dogshit at interfacing with their customers and suffer zero consequences by virtue of being a de facto monopoly. :capitalism:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Something I've noticed lately what with all the chatter about the alleged relief bill is that, here in my local market at least, car dealerships especially are trying to re-frame it as a stimulus - not one meant to (allegedly) help the struggling working poor and middle class keep a roof over their head or finally get that repair that'll make that old beater of theirs able to drive further than the corner store and back, but one meant to stimulate luxury purchases (like buying a brand new hyundai at rick case's hyundai superworld) thus transferring the bailout money (and then some, in the case of a $10k+ auto loan!) back where it belongs - into the hands of our capitalist overlords.

It's quite honestly equal parts impressive and nauseating to see how quickly advertisers can sniff out an opportunity and create a narrative around it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lib and let die posted:

Something I've noticed lately what with all the chatter about the alleged relief bill is that, here in my local market at least, car dealerships especially are trying to re-frame it as a stimulus - not one meant to (allegedly) help the struggling working poor and middle class keep a roof over their head or finally get that repair that'll make that old beater of theirs able to drive further than the corner store and back, but one meant to stimulate luxury purchases (like buying a brand new hyundai at rick case's hyundai superworld) thus transferring the bailout money (and then some, in the case of a $10k+ auto loan!) back where it belongs - into the hands of our capitalist overlords.

It's quite honestly equal parts impressive and nauseating to see how quickly advertisers can sniff out an opportunity and create a narrative around it.

Remember that these are the same people that want you to use tax refunds to buy things every year, and let us Never Forget that if you don't buy a car, the terrorists win..

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Lib and let die posted:

This is exactly how the Alaska Permanent Fund Dividend was framed my whole life.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I finally broke down and had to buy a new phone today after 3 or 4 years and, jesus christ, the pre-installed apps that came with it were loving insane. By the time I got done going through the apps and getting rid of NBA, NFL, Google Movies, Angry Birds, Candy Crush, Facebook and this that and the other god damned thing that gently caress you I don't need and I'll let you know if I do, I had freed up half of the things storage.

Why do people LIKE this?

Just give me the device and let me manage it instead of pre-installing a bunch of trash that tracks every time I take a poo poo and sends how much corn was in it to a marketing company.

Where is that GIF of a dude walking through an airport slapping away newsletter subscriptions, terms of agreement, coupons and poo poo? Because I feel like a hockey goalie slapping away pucks just trying to stay up to speed in the 21st Century anymore. It's like I'm the weirdo for not wanting to connect my banking info and shopping habits into every device I own.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BiggerBoat posted:

Why do people LIKE this?

The OEM likes it because the app publisher pays them to preload it. The publisher likes it because it leads to additional users which means additional money. Sales people like it because they can advertise JUST HOW MUCH YOU GET when you buy it.

No one except the end user cares if the end user likes it.

Get a Pixel phone if you want one that's free of preloads (excepting some of the Google stuff)

quote:

Where is that GIF of a dude walking through an airport slapping away newsletter subscriptions, terms of agreement, coupons and poo poo? Because I feel like a hockey goalie slapping away pucks just trying to stay up to speed in the 21st Century anymore. It's like I'm the weirdo for not wanting to connect my banking info and shopping habits into every device I own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iijPvIiDbL0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

quote:

He was, he knew, an anankastic, a person for whom reality had shrunk to the dimension of compulsion; everything he did was forced on him—there was for him nothing voluntary, spontaneous or free. And, to make matters worse, he had tangled with a Nitz commercial. In fact, he still had the commercial with him; he carried it about with him in his pocket.
Getting it out now, Kongrosian started the Theodorus Nitz commercial up, listening once more to its evil message. The commercial squeaked, “At any moment one may offend others, any hour of the day!” And in his mind appeared the full-color image of a scene unfolding: a good-looking black-haired man leaning toward a blond, full-breasted girl in a bathing suit in order to kiss her. On the girl’s face the expression of rapture and submission all at once vanished, was replaced by repugnance. And the commercial shrilled, “He was not fully safe from offensive body odor! You see?”
That’s me, Kongrosian said to himself; I smell bad. He had, due to the commercial, acquired a phobic body odor; he had been contaminated through the commercial, and there was no way to rid himself of the odor: he had for weeks now tried a thousand rituals of rinsing and washing, to no avail.
Phillip K Dick, 'The Simulacra'