Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
User ProperCoochie wandered into QCS the other day and had a good post about getting more eyes into this place, copied here:

ProperCoochie posted:

Many years ago Musician's Lounge was moved from top-level forum to subforum.

Independent And Amateur Musicians Online is a thing that has exploded over the last 15 years.

Take a quick glance at any thread based around "What Was Your Favorite SA Thread?" or "Remember When?" or "Favorite SA Moments" or "Favorite SA Traditions" or "Lost SA Content You're Searching For". Those threads are filled with posts specifically about goon music.

NMD is about consuming music but ML is about creation. ML has pop, it helps people grow, it could help the forum grow. ML can make people better versions of themselves. ML can generate content that the community will revere for decades to come. NMD is esoteric and boring. The posters and discussions are welcoming but stagnant. A focus on goon musicians points to celebrities like Deadmau5, and forum favorites like TAOC THE WODNER.

I believe leaning into Online Music Community would be a huge boon for the forums in a personal and human sense, and as business.

I'm not sure moving it to Top level is the answer, but I think a forums announcement saying good things about the forum, and getting some more eyes couldn't hurt.

Anyone have any ideas in that direction? Stuff I can do to help you all over here? Anything other than an announcement that would be cool?

I understand this forum is probably bookmark browsing heavy, so the replies may be a bit slow in here, but I'm not in a rush, and want to hear you out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Weekend bump.

"Don't gently caress with it, Athanatos. It's fine" is also a good answer too

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I mean I don’t see the issue moving it top level for a bit. Hell shuffle all the subforums around for a while and see what happens.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

I think it would be cool to see some attention thrown at ML. It's my favorite non-byob forum. And I'm sure there are some creative music-oriented goons who aren't hanging out here. That said, I wouldnt' say its a forum in a drought or anything, it's nice and comfy here.

Not sure that moving it to a top forum spot would necessarily help all that much (I think Blockbuster Video was top-level for a bit? lol), but it also definitely couldn't hurt. Why not give it a shot?

I think putting a greater emphasis on featuring goon-led creative ventures from forums like ML and DIY on the front page could be good, but I know that the front page isn't a priority and won't be for some time.

Maybe an announcement specifically promoting some of the different creative competitions going on in some of the forums could be a good idea. ML used to do a monthly song challenge, though I think that might have been moved over to the discord, so that might take some coordination.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
The forum seems to be full of megathreads with a lot of useful stuff in them but there wasn’t one for bowed instruments - I recently started taking lessons for an erhu, and I kind of wanted to talk to other people about that but I didn’t know if it was cool to put a new thread on here (or even post to this thread until I saw other people start replying).

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
There is no real bump from making a forum Top vs Sub. I think everyone lives in bookmarks these days. An Announcement would get a lot of new eyes in here.

Just a general: Hey, take a look at this place, there are threads for XXX, YYY, and ZZZ.

aldantefax posted:

The forum seems to be full of megathreads with a lot of useful stuff in them but there wasn’t one for bowed instruments - I recently started taking lessons for an erhu, and I kind of wanted to talk to other people about that but I didn’t know if it was cool to put a new thread on here (or even post to this thread until I saw other people start replying).

Yeah, be the change you want to see in the world. If you think it's missing a thread, go for it. Might be slow to start, for the bookmark reason, but if you think it fits with this forum, go for it!

I can also add some IKs if anyone has any suggestions. I looked a BIT, but not a lot of people cross pollinate in threads so it's a bit tougher. Someone who can sticky and unsticky things, change thread titles, stuff like that.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
It'd certainly help to throw up a banner ad, and set up some kind of effort thread in GBS, maybe something collaborative.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

beer gas canister posted:

It'd certainly help to throw up a banner ad, and set up some kind of effort thread in GBS, maybe something collaborative.

oh yeah, if there's some co-sponsored ML thread it could act as a pipeline. maybe like a roaming music collaboration thread of some sorts that moves amongst other forums, like the byob spaceship thread. or just put it in GBS at least. +1

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

I think putting a greater emphasis on featuring goon-led creative ventures from forums like ML and DIY on the front page could be good, but I know that the front page isn't a priority and won't be for some time.

This is a cool idea because lots of great stuff comes from SA but doesn't get the reach it should.

An announcement or banner ads might be good too.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
I like the banner add idea.

If someone makes one, I'll put it up to start with.

150kB max, exactly 468x60px
Allowed types: GIF, PNG, JPG

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I'm probably opening a cab of worms, but this is a prime example of a good use of the front page. An article sourced from various threads about setting up your home recording studio, including guitar stuff, synths, midi, mixing, and so on. Link to the relevant posts and threads obviously.

Other than that, maybe we should think about rebooting the megathreads? At least the bass and guitar OPs are completely outdated and give very little to hook into. Maybe a more current style of OP with rules and a list of in jokes instead of gear recommendations, which always changes. It wouldn't increase traffic by much, but might get a free more people to stick around.
I'd do it myself but, you see, I only use the Android app where you can't post threads, and also I really need to tune my bass so I can't right now.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i'm with bon about rebooting the megathreads, and i think the guitar thread could actually split into two. the current one is primarily gear discussion, which is great, but i think there's enough posting about non-gear topics that having a thread just for that sort of thing could stimulate good discussion. i'd be willing to do the non-gear megathread op, and i'll even use my shift key.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Make a thread with links to some ML greatest hits tour the entire forum like chickencheese did, and lure all the musicians back here like the pied piped

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Snowy posted:

Make a thread with links to some ML greatest hits tour the entire forum like chickencheese did, and lure all the musicians back here like the pied piped

There's a touring thread going round the forums for goons to show off their cool poo poo, would Musicians Lounge like it next? I'd love to hear the music people have been making.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
its completely weird and dead. The watches megathread about useless timepieces in watch and weight gets more play than the guitar megathread here. That is VERY odd as this is usually the kind of thing that SA is very good at ("better than reddit" style discussion about niche topics.) it seems like the mark has been badly missed here. Maybe just not many people play or are interested in instruments here but I doubt it. It definitely doesn't help that it's buried as a subform of NMD, a different, also dead forum.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'd be 100% down for ML becoming a main forum out from under NMD. Making music and discussing existing music are two entirely different topics with only a little crossover when talking influences.

That said, a NMD subforum specifically for finished goon projects would be a good way to boost artists here. Having an easily found and clearly delineated space to find other goon music rather than it bring scattered through a bunch of random threads would be awesome, with ML handling WIP, nuts and bolts discussion.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

epic 2012 username posted:

its completely weird and dead. The watches megathread about useless timepieces in watch and weight gets more play than the guitar megathread here. That is VERY odd as this is usually the kind of thing that SA is very good at ("better than reddit" style discussion about niche topics.) it seems like the mark has been badly missed here. Maybe just not many people play or are interested in instruments here but I doubt it. It definitely doesn't help that it's buried as a subform of NMD, a different, also dead forum.

I remember like 10 years ago the turntable outsold the guitar for the first year ever. But Id guess that the dj thread, also under a sub of NMD isn't much more lively than the guitar megathread.

I think maybe the reason why the watch thread is more happening than this is that it is specifically the kind of thread SA is good at to your point. Because it doesn't have any expectations of like...any success of the matter. It's about the quite and humble pursuit of a passion and learning from one another and helping out others and being giving. This is one of the best things about SA imo. I would and do gladly support goon artists, but to expect SA to be a place to effectively signal boost can only go so far. Eventually each goon their own must emerge from this dead gay forum and try to prove their case to the broader public. I think SA and especially here is like a not lovely gear [pejorative and lovely term for people who enjoy sex] where you can ask info, get feedback and advice, etc and we help eachother get better and co-prepare for the goonmergence we must each alone attempt, wallow in obscurity or find happiness in the practice of craft for the sake of itself.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

I remember like 10 years ago the turntable outsold the guitar for the first year ever. But Id guess that the dj thread, also under a sub of NMD isn't much more lively than the guitar megathread.

I think maybe the reason why the watch thread is more happening than this is that it is specifically the kind of thread SA is good at to your point. Because it doesn't have any expectations of like...any success of the matter. It's about the quite and humble pursuit of a passion and learning from one another and helping out others and being giving. This is one of the best things about SA imo. I would and do gladly support goon artists, but to expect SA to be a place to effectively signal boost can only go so far. Eventually each goon their own must emerge from this dead gay forum and try to prove their case to the broader public. I think SA and especially here is like a not lovely gear [pejorative and lovely term for people who enjoy sex] where you can ask info, get feedback and advice, etc and we help eachother get better and co-prepare for the goonmergence we must each alone attempt, wallow in obscurity or find happiness in the practice of craft for the sake of itself.

Its called Gearspace now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

JamesKPolk posted:

Its called Gearspace now

Oh well finally.