Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
One of the all-time baseball greats.

Braves legend Hank Aaron dies at age 86, daughter says

ATLANTA — He is the one man that Muhammad Ali said he idolized “more than myself.” He became known to the world as “Hammerin’ Hank.”

Legendary Atlanta Brave and Major League Baseball record holder Hank Aaron died Friday at the age of 86, according to Aaron’s daughter.

Born in Mobile, Alabama, on Feb. 5, 1934, Henry Louis Aaron was one of eight children born to Herbert and Estella Aaron.

We will have continuing coverage of the legend’s impact in Georgia and history, throughout the day on Channel 2 Action News

His family was so poor they could not afford baseball equipment, so he began honing his baseball skill by hitting bottle caps with sticks.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/braves-legend-hank-aaron-dies-age-86-according-former-city-official/JXDCLYDFFVHNPC2KRNX2KBKIEM/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/Dalmcm/status/1352643539868368896

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/nojockstrap/status/1352643746412769280

king poo poo

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
It absolutely blew my mind when I first learned Aaron set the HR record without ever hitting 50 in a season (and only 45+ twice). Like as a kid I had a mental framework in mind for what kind of hitter this mysterious home run king "Hank Aaron" must have been and he was so much more complete and consistent than little kid me ever imagined. RIP

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
drat rip to a legend

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dutchy posted:

It absolutely blew my mind when I first learned Aaron set the HR record without ever hitting 50 in a season (and only 45+ twice). Like as a kid I had a mental framework in mind for what kind of hitter this mysterious home run king "Hank Aaron" must have been and he was so much more complete and consistent than little kid me ever imagined. RIP

Unless I'm reading this wrong Hank Aaron was younger when he hit 755 than Barry was when he hit 756 :stare:

Although Barry did miss a lot of time late in his career

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Intruder posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong Hank Aaron was younger when he hit 755 than Barry was when he hit 756 :stare:

I don't know the answer to the age question, but here are some stat comparisons between the two (knowing that Bonds was on "the clear" for a portion of his career):

Games

Barry Bonds – 2,986
Hank Aaron – 3,298 images

At Bats

Barry Bonds – 9,847
Hank Aaron – 12,364 images

Plate Appearances

Barry Bonds – 12,606
Hank Aaron – 13,941 images

Batting Average

Barry Bonds – .298
Hank Aaron – .305 images

Home Runs

Barry Bonds – 762 (Record) images
Hank Aaron – 755

RBIs

Barry Bonds – 1,996
Hank Aaron – 2,297 (Record) images

Hits

Barry Bonds – 2,935
Hank Aaron – 3,771 images

Runs

Barry Bonds – 2,227 images
Hank Aaron – 2,174

Stolen Bases

Barry Bonds – 514 images
Hank Aaron – 240

Doubles

Barry Bonds – 601
Hank Aaron – 624 images

Triples

Barry Bonds – 77
Hank Aaron – 98 images

On Base Percentage

Barry Bonds – .444 images
Hank Aaron – .374

Slugging Percentage

Barry Bonds – .607 images
Hank Aaron – .555

On-Base + Slugging Percentage

Barry Bonds – 1.051 images
Hank Aaron – .928

Walks

Barry Bonds – 2,558 (Record) images
Hank Aaron – 1,402

WAR

Barry Bonds – 162.4 images
Hank Aaron – 142.6

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Intruder posted:

yeah

checking Aaron's B-R page and his prime was like 19 loving years long. from 1955-1973: .312/.380/.574, 162 OPS+. probably his worst season in that stretch he hit 44 home runs. what a god.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

A few calls.

Braves' announcer Milo Hamilton on 715:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNZl6HN5c-0

Vin Scully:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjqYThEVoSQ

Curt Gowdy on the national broadcast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YesbJSETiI

714:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCxe_NeNZFI

The Braves wanted Aaron to tie and set the record at home and were going to sit him until then. But baseball's brass intervened and refused to allow it, setting him up to crack this off Jack Billingham at Riverfront Stadium.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

My favorite Hank Aaron story was that he used his Home Run Derby tv show winnings to buy his dad a grocery store.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Dutchy posted:

checking Aaron's B-R page and his prime was like 19 loving years long.

I always think of him as a 70s player, because that's when he set his record. But, no, turns out he played for forever.

poo poo, I'd expect someone that played 23 good seasons to hold some sort of record.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
who were those two dudes that ran to catch up with him? did they jump on the field?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

This is a sad day for baseball.

:rip: Hammerin’ Hank

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Walrus posted:

who were those two dudes that ran to catch up with him? did they jump on the field?

Britt Gaston and Cliff Courtenay. They were two fans who were caught up in the moment. Both were arrested and released.

Aaron met up with them a few years ago.

e: Sports Illustrated catching up with people in the stadium

Sports Illustrated posted:

"I think they made some announcements [like], If there's any funny business, people are going to jail," Courtenay says. "We must have missed those." When Aaron made contact, they leaped over the tarp and onto the field even before they realized the ball was gone. "That would've been embarrassing if it'd hit the wall," he says.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 22, 2021

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hank Aaron's BBR page is insane, look at his numbers when he was 39!

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

:rip: Hank

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Some nuclear hot takes in the GBS thread

Halloween Liker posted:

I think he existed within racism, right. Overcome?

Its a sport, hes not overcoming anyone.

He was doing a white mans hobby like a race horse

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

rest in peace.. thank you for the birthday card.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Some nuclear hot takes in the GBS thread

Thnx for sharing

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dutchy posted:

yeah

checking Aaron's B-R page and his prime was like 19 loving years long. from 1955-1973: .312/.380/.574, 162 OPS+. probably his worst season in that stretch he hit 44 home runs. what a god.
Yeah. It's ridiculous to think that he hit 755 dingers and never once made to 50 in a single season. Hell I think he only came really close to 50 once. But, he was an incredibly good hitter for about two full decades and that's why he became the Home Run King.

EDIT: Zero full seasons below 4.0 Offensive WAR out of his first nineteen in Major League Baseball :stare:

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 22, 2021

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Hank Aaron had 6,856 total bases. #2 is Stan Musial, with 6,134. That is twelve loving miles more bases than the #2 guy of all time.

RIP to a deity.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Carter gonna outlive everybody, except Betty White and Keith Richards.

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1352670896301989891

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Glad that era is gone (except for the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, etc.)

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1352662189639938048

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
One of the realest to ever do it, an all time great.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/Haudricourt/status/1352670733189656577?s=20

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I didn't realize Hank was such a good contact hitter. He came pretty drat close to catching Cobb (about 350 hits), if he could have had one more elite season before his trail off, it might have been worth hanging on for. Apparently he was a free swinger but was a GREAT bad ball hitter.

You might as well smash every record possible if the team is gonna fail to build around you, and I don't think he ever made a WS, unfortunately.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

You might as well smash every record possible if the team is gonna fail to build around you, and I don't think he ever made a WS, unfortunately.

He won it in '57 with the Milwaukee Braves.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Doctor Teeth posted:

He won it in '57 with the Milwaukee Braves.

And the Braves lost the WS in 1958. The 1955, 1956, 1959 and 1960 teams were 2nd in the NL but, of course, no postseason. Aaron's best team in Atlanta was 1969, but they ran into the Mets juggernaut that year and were swept in the NLCS.

Milwaukee and Atlanta were at least competitive for nearly all of his run. The Braves didn't fall off the cliff until Aaron was gone.

Milwaukee was absolutely loaded in some of those years. Eddie Mathews was unbelievable. Joe Torre, Felipe Alou, Rico Carty, Warren Spahn and Johnny Sain were on many of the rosters.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CocoaNuts posted:

Glad that era is gone (except for the Proud Boys and Oath Keepers, etc.)

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1352662189639938048
About 10 or 15 years ago the Smithsonian American history museum had a baseball exhibit, and they had some of Hank's hate mail on display, and it was something else let me tell you.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Presto posted:

About 10 or 15 years ago the Smithsonian American history museum had a baseball exhibit, and they had some of Hank's hate mail on display, and it was something else let me tell you.

It's really disturbing that any MFers would be so bent on hatred.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
One of the unique things about Aaron is that, even though he's a counting-stat god, he didn't really care all that much personally about breaking records—I mean, obviously it was a huge deal for that a black man was eclipsing one of the all-time great white sports heroes in a sport and country that had been segregated in everyone's living memory, and he was deeply aware of how that significance attached itself to him, but for his own part he was just concerned with playing the game to his full potential, and thought others should strive to do the same.

Presto posted:

They have a few on permanent display in Cooperstown as well.