Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Shhhh, listen. Is that dark sarcasm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuna-Fire
Mar 4, 2001

etcetera, etcetera
Hair Elf
I need to find the food vendor in the cover of pretzel logic

Tuna-Fire
Mar 4, 2001

etcetera, etcetera
Hair Elf
we could all hang out and talk about how cool it would have been if Second Arrangement hadnt been left off Gaucho

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
the nightfly is pretty much the second arrangement

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
guess ill post this here too

mycophobia posted:

after having listened to all of them several times over the years i am ready to present

Steely Dan/Donald Fagen album ranking, with favorite songs:

1. The Nightfly (I.G.Y., The Nightfly)
2. Gaucho (Gaucho, Time Out of Mind)
3. Can't Buy a Thrill (Do It Again, Brooklyn (Owes the Charmer Under Me))
4. Pretzel Logic (Barrytown, Charlie Freak)
5. Aja (Aja, Deacon Blues)
6. Two Against Nature (Almost Gothic, Two Against Nature)
7. Katy Lied (Doctor Wu, Bad Sneakers)
8. Sunken Condos (Weather in My Head, Memorabilia)
9. Kamakiriad (Snowbound, Florida Room)
10. Everything Must Go (Pixeleen, Godwhacker)
11. The Royal Scam (Sign In Stranger, Kid Charlemagne)
12. Countdown to Ecstacy (My Old School, Pearl of the Quarter)
13. Morph the Cat (What I Do, The Night Belongs to Mona)

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
My only issue with Nightfly is it really lacks that Walter Becker dark sarcasm. I'll be listening to a song and it's about 50s nostalgia or some woman or whatever and I keep waiting for someone to get murdered or a sentient robot having an existential crisis or whatever but it never comes.

Tuna-Fire
Mar 4, 2001

etcetera, etcetera
Hair Elf
how about the additional lines from Caves of Altamira that were in the demo. adds quite a bit to the story

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Herbie Hancock riffing on your gold teeth pt. 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzFzRZtvczM

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

What Fagen and Becker did to Peter Gunz and Lord Tariq wrt the Black Cow sample was some down low and gross industry perv poo poo, for two guys who staked a lot of their names on being Artist's Artists and industry outsiders

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

mycophobia posted:

Wow. Fly away, troll.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Wake me up when Fleetwood March rolls around

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mycophobia posted:

I'd put Royal Scam and Countdown to Ecstasy higher but otherwise I could co-sign this list.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
my problem with royal scam is that its like half really good and half utterly skippable. countdown on the whole is too long and noodly, they hadnt earned that kind of song length yet. which is why its good they went back to basics with pretzel logic and built up from there

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

mycophobia posted:

my problem with royal scam is that its like half really good and half utterly skippable. countdown on the whole is too long and noodly, they hadnt earned that kind of song length yet. which is why its good they went back to basics with pretzel logic and built up from there

I thought i was the only one who had that problem with royal scam! I'm not crazy!!

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

Asking why they mixed the drums so low on so many of their "classic" albums when they claim to be recording, mixing and mastering gods and let George Duke and George Benson outshine them

All 70's music sounds like it was recorded by a downstairs neighbor.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
just can't kill the beast

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
stainless steely dan

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The "steely knives" line was, in fact, a reference to the Dan, right?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Yeah man.

Steely Dan is known for three things.
1) Their dark sarcastic lyrics.
2) Their studio perfectionism.
3) Their bitter feud with the Eagles.

You were a roller skater
You gonna show me later
(Turn up the Eagles the neighbors are listening)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

The "steely knives" line was, in fact, a reference to the Dan, right?

yeah in response to Everything You Did

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

kntfkr posted:

Steely Dan is known for three things.
1) Their dark sarcastic lyrics.
2) Their studio perfectionism.
3) Their bitter feud with the Eagles.

I'm glad you didn't list "their music." lol

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

What's with his weird accent in Glamour Profession?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tub5csVUG2k&t=106s

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

sigher posted:

I'm glad you didn't list "their music." lol

their music =SUM(dark sarcastic lyrics, studio perfectionism)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

All 70's music sounds like it was recorded by a downstairs neighbor.

I mean I'll take any track from Master of the Game over any SD track any day. You'd think if they had their way, they'd have put a hard filter for everything under 100hz and another one for anything over 3000hz and said "we want an album that is nothing. but. trebble."

Gaucho being the exception on that front, but Aja is particularly bad. The Expanding Man sounds like it's recorded on an iPhone.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
This is my favorite Steely Dan cover

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcZRyuiefjE

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Dick Fontaine posted:

Wake me up when Fleetwood March rolls around

Holy poo poo, Gypsy 83, baby me loooved that film.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I just found this thread because of what I correctly assumed was a Steel Dan nod in the Lepers Colony.

Has anyone talked about some of the great Christopher Cross songs that exist yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eHh7qI8OtI

I’ve been on a mock recently.

Also John Mayer tried to do a pastiche album recently in a Soft Rock style that has some of the worst lyrics I’ve ever heard.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

TheMightyBoops posted:

I just found this thread because of what I correctly assumed was a Steel Dan nod in the Lepers Colony.

Has anyone talked about some of the great Christopher Cross songs that exist yet:

Also John Mayer tried to do a pastiche album recently in a Soft Rock style that has some of the worst lyrics I’ve ever heard.

I made a yacht rock thread a few years back and Ride Like Tbe Wind loving shreds rear end. Christopher Cross is also an oddly endearing follow on IG? He’s just havin a good time.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

teen witch posted:

I made a yacht rock thread a few years back and Ride Like Tbe Wind loving shreds rear end. Christopher Cross is also an oddly endearing follow on IG? He’s just havin a good time.

That whole record is good front to back; I do skip track 1 sometimes because track 2 rules.

As for Steely Dan the interlocking piano/guitar groove on The Fez is one of my favorite musical moments ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCdKBHdPz30

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tarkus posted:

What's with his weird accent in Glamour Profession?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tub5csVUG2k&t=106s

Which part - his insanely old New York pronunciation of "QUART-ah" , or the mustard he puts on the delivery of "Mr. Chauuuuss"? Cause the rest just sounds like old Donny.

I love those kind of weird single-word deliveries, Tom Waits does it all the time and it rules (check out Burma Shave's " so drill me a hole... with a barber pole").

Also yeah, The Fez is extremely hard

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I always liked the cover of Royal Scam, so when I saw this in some weird record shop in the early Nineties, I had to have it.

Then I read an interview with Fagen where he said he hates the cover because it’s so ugly.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I am a huge Steely Dan fan but I know better than to read up on what Fagan thinks about anything.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

TheMightyBoops posted:

Brother how are you gonna post a video of that song in what sounds like VHS qualtiy? Here's one actually worth listening to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWNPiRZooA

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Laterite posted:

I am a huge Steely Dan fan but I know better than to read up on what Fagan thinks about anything.

Fagen hates Steely Dan.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Diddy actually did sample a Christopher Cross song.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

JnnyThndrs posted:

I always liked the cover of Royal Scam, so when I saw this in some weird record shop in the early Nineties, I had to have it.

Then I read an interview with Fagen where he said he hates the cover because it’s so ugly.

If memory serves his line was that it was actually the second ugliest album cover of the whole decade, behind of course Can’t Buy a Thrill.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
royal scam is cool rear end cover.

cant buy a thrill? yeah not the best lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

JnnyThndrs posted:

Van Morrison originally commissioned the art for his Mechanical Bliss LP that never came out (there's a few demos on youtube)