Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of Generation Z?
gently caress THEM (and I'm not Aatrek)
They SUCK (and I'm not Aatrek)
They kinda suck (and I'm not Aatrek)
They're mostly OK, I guess
They're OK
They are good
Veeery nice, like my wife (and I'm not Aatrek)
I LERV them (and I'm not Aatrek)
Goku , lovely fail op
View Results

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

S T A R M E T A L C A S T E

kntfkr posted:

I play with Lucy Sweetkill and Amai Liu myself on the reg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

I don't have any problems with zoomers but lol if they think they're not going to get the same poo poo they're giving to millennials in 15 years

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I don't have any problems with zoomers but lol if they think they're not going to get the same poo poo they're giving to millennials in 15 years

They’ll just beg the next generation to step on them. The circle of life.

celewign
Jul 11, 2015

just get us in the playoffs
It sounds like a lot of people don’t understand what constitutes a generation in the public mind.

A “generation” is defined as a group of people who’s early years encompassed a world changing event or events. When a kid is maturing something like WW2 or 9/11 or Woodstock can strongly influence their development, and therefore their entire outlook on the world for the rest of their life.

One of the reason that boomers are despised, I believe, is that they never really experienced a global hardship during their teen years, and are perceived as selfish and self centered as a result. Contrast that with their parents, who saw WW2.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I always thought i was a millennial but now apparently I'm a zillennial??

'94 No cap, just facts fam

edit: I learned about gen z through tik tok. They're a pretty mixed bag, but terminally online humor & self deprecation is IN these days so I'm down with the cool kids. Also I have a middle part now, I caved to the pressure. I look fierce tho so its cool.

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 11, 2021

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

celewign posted:

It sounds like a lot of people don’t understand what constitutes a generation in the public mind.

A “generation” is defined as a group of people who’s early years encompassed a world changing event or events. When a kid is maturing something like WW2 or 9/11 or Woodstock can strongly influence their development, and therefore their entire outlook on the world for the rest of their life.

One of the reason that boomers are despised, I believe, is that they never really experienced a global hardship during their teen years, and are perceived as selfish and self centered as a result. Contrast that with their parents, who saw WW2.

Is there an example of a named generation before boomers? I always thought it started with boomers because people said "whoa, lots of people had sex and made babies at the same time, we need a name for this", and then after that there's just been a compulsion to name every subsequent generation, because the trend was set. That's why they're named X Z and Millenial, cause there's not really a good term, people just feel obligated to call them something.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ventral EggSac posted:

Is there an example of a named generation before boomers? I always thought it started with boomers because people said "whoa, lots of people had sex and made babies at the same time, we need a name for this", and then after that there's just been a compulsion to name every subsequent generation, because the trend was set. That's why they're named X Z and Millenial, cause there's not really a good term, people just feel obligated to call them something.

Greatest Generation and Silent Generation

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

christmas boots posted:

Greatest Generation and Silent Generation

Huh, Lost Generation too apparently. Thanks, never heard those names. Silent generation sounds terrifying as a name.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ventral EggSac posted:

Huh, Lost Generation too apparently. Thanks, never heard those names. Silent generation sounds terrifying as a name.

They're less terrifying when you realize that Joe Biden is one of them. Also Bernie.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Ventral EggSac posted:

Lost Gen: Main participants of WW1
Greatest Gen: Experienced Great Depression, main participants of WW2
Silent Gen: Born during the Great Depression and WW2. Most of the civil rights people are silent gen, including Malcolm X and MLK Jr.
Baby Boomers: Born after WW2, the children of the early cold war
Gen X: The children of the late cold war

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

golden bubble posted:

Lost Gen: Main participants of WW1
Greatest Gen: Experienced Great Depression, main participants of WW2
Silent Gen: Born during the Great Depression and WW2. Most of the civil rights people are silent gen, including Malcolm X and MLK Jr.
Baby Boomers: Born after WW2, the children of the early cold war
Gen X: The children of the late cold war

Obviously Greatest Generation named themselves, before the advertising company sociologist boffins got in on the act. You'd have to be a tough mofo to survive the Great Depression and WWII though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falconier111
Jul 18, 2012

BigBadSteve posted:

Obviously Greatest Generation named themselves, before the advertising company sociologist boffins got in on the act. You'd have to be a tough mofo to survive the Great Depression and WWII though.

Nope, member of the silent generation did that in ‘98, though I could be wrong. He kind of wanted to jerk off his forebears :shrug: