Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

pantslesswithwolves posted:

In case anyone still doubted it’s still Trump’s party, despite him losing the presidency and getting banned from Twitter.
He's a-wiggle with his pent-up posting, I see. Or major brain problems. Hell, why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

General strike.

Okay. Let's do it. Surely there's the support in place for such a massive endeavor.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Imagine trying to organize all of America to do something that disrupts their broken pathetic vision of working 78 hours a week (two jobs that give them 39 hours a week each to avoid needing to give healthcare) for 70 years to maybe become a millionaire

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/1366198647017324546

quote:

But now senior Democrats — including Wyden and Sanders — are walking away from that backup effort, according to two people who spoke on the condition of anonymity to share internal discussions.

Economists and tax experts have said that the tax outlined by Sanders and Wyden could be easily avoided and difficult to implement, with large corporations able to reclassify workers as contractors to avoid potential penalties. “I would be extremely nervous about trying out a brand new idea like this with virtually no vetting,” Jason Furman, a former Obama administration economist, said on Twitter on Friday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/02/28/minimum-wage-backup-plan-biden-stimulus/

Somewhat expected, somewhat good because it's basically the last barrier to the COVID bill passing. Given that the quality of legislation has been going downhill over the years, probably a good idea to wait a little while and actually write a backdoor $15 right, if you can't get the base $15 in a simple way.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

piL posted:

Arguing about opinions with complicated side effects and consequences as if everything was simple with no second order effects or implicit dilemmas and the entire word is blind to the obvious truth is the primary motivator of posts in the CE thread.

I mean, duh.

KirbyKhan posted:

Oh yeah, I never announced to this thread. I just got a kid, he popped out like 6 days ago.

Congrats or condolences, whichever applies.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Okay. Let's do it. Surely there's the support in place for such a massive endeavor.

Well a lot of people are going to be getting a relief payment shortly...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
https://twitter.com/POTUS/status/1366191901196644354?s=19

Biden here basically encouraging the unionization effort and calling out Amazon for their tactics without mentioning them by name. Short of a full endorsement/condemnation, but arguably the strongest pro-unionization statement out of the White House... ever (which by itself is extremely sad)

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Wow. I am actually startled by this turn of events. (I'm not being sarcastic.)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

That massive endeavor is the only thing that would probably work.

But if you’ve got a better idea I’m all ears.

Otherwise just admit that the billionaires won and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
In space news, Rocketlab has announced it is developing something that looks more or less like a clone of Falcon 9. First stage lands on an ocean platform. Curiously, they advertise 1500 pounds of payload to Mars/Venus, implying there's a specific market for that they're targeting.

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/rockets/neutron/

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
New last week tonight is good.

boop the snoot posted:

Otherwise just admit that the billionaires won and there’s nothing we can do about it.

Talking about solutions to the billionaire problem online is like pissing in the wind. All you're doing is getting your shoes wet.

They're always going to be able to buy opinion to their side. Any effort put forth in a humane way will just encounter billionaire built barriers. They don't want to give up their power and money, the fiefdoms of capital they can personally play KJI over. Short of going hunting around Jackson Hole, there's nothing a regular person can do but wash their shoes off when they're done facing dick first into the breeze.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Kesper North posted:

In space news, Rocketlab has announced it is developing something that looks more or less like a clone of Falcon 9. First stage lands on an ocean platform. Curiously, they advertise 1500 pounds of payload to Mars/Venus, implying there's a specific market for that they're targeting.

https://www.rocketlabusa.com/rockets/neutron/

They have many many years of RUD to go through first, rockets are hard, surprisingly enough.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

The Biden administration took down the report of its account of the Khashoggi murder, removed three names of people it alleged to have taken part, then reuploaded it. Two of the names are of relatively unknown people, but one of them is the brother of a very senior Saudi CT official.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/28/politics/jamal-khashoggi-intelligence-report-three-names-removed/index.html

I’m really disappointed in how the Biden administration has handled this. For all of the talk about how he’d hold them accountable, stopping short of sanctioning MBS is just a huge loving cop-out. The sooner the world moves away from oil, the sooner the desert can reclaim Riyadh.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

boop the snoot posted:

Well, you'd better get started organizing a rent and food fund and polling workers everywhere about whether or not they'll go on strike. Remember, you can't do it without everyone being on board

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Well, you'd better get started organizing a rent and food fund and polling workers everywhere about whether or not they'll go on strike. Remember, you can't do it without everyone being on board

I already said billionaires won, dude. They’re going to kill us for profits and we are by and large ok with it. You’re just reinforcing that.

I have no idea what you’re arguing for. I asked you for other ideas and you snark post in response.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 1, 2021

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
He's offering up a solution instead of laying down to die.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Hey I think it's a good thing that a general strike is being discussed as a possibility. Why people want to shout down that kind of suggestion by acknowledging that it would be a massive endeavor is beyond me.

People get poo poo on for suggesting compromise proposals and radical proposals alike.

This is a unique time where coordinated strikes could potentially reap some benefits IMO. Last time any real progress was made was at the onset of WWII if I remember correctly. In 50 years all parts.of logistics operations may be operated.

I'd certainly be sympathetic tot he cause of strikers in this day and age. I doubt I'm alone

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 1, 2021

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Grip it and rip it posted:

Hey I think it's a good thing that a general strike is being discussed as a possibility. Why people want to shout down that kind of suggestion by acknowledging that it would be a massive endeavor is beyond me.
Uhh, I'd wager that UP THE BUM NO BABY's statement that a general strike would take work and organization in advance wasn't intended to shout down the idea, but to encourage, you know, work and organization in advance. Without it, movements will fracture and disintegrate after any momentarily catalyzing event. If you're looking to catch lightning, it's best to be prepared ahead of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Month's over, everyone shut up and move to the new thread.