Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Well gently caress

I'll lay it out like this.... AEW doesn't take itself nearly as seriously as WWE does, so a lot of the talking spots are much more bearable. The commentary is loving amazing with JR and Tony and Excalibur and Taz and Jericho all enjoying the poo poo out of themselves on the mic. The big difference is AEW uses the wrestling to tell the story, instead of telling a story around wrestling. If you see a feud happen, there's gonna be a big headline match eventually! Someone is doing sketchy poo poo like cheating and whatnot? Gonna get their payback eventually!

My biggest gripe with AEW is that because they use the wrestling to tell the story, there's a bunch of screwy endings to otherwise A+ matches. Sometimes those screwy finishes pay off, sometimes they don't. Another thing is I wish they'd stop signing literally every single wrestler known to mankind because now some of my old school AEW favorites, like Sonny Kiss, are getting less national TV time while still playing a role in their YouTube stuff.

If you want to dip your toes into AEW, their YouTube channel has a ton of free programming in the form of their lesser known wrestlers as well as some of the big names doing house show matches. The programs are AEW Elevation, released on Mondays and featuring up and coming wrestler, and AEW Dark, featuring their mid card as well numerous big names and released on Tuesdays. However, The Real Good poo poo is AEW Dynamite on TBS. AEW Rampage on TNT is very good, but Dynamite always seems to have a better flow

edit you can also see Taz's son and WRESTLING PHENOM Hook!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Well gently caress

Not really. RAW on a Monday is 3 hours long and is mostly talking, AEW Dynamite on a Wednesday is 2 hours and mostly wrestling. There's been episodes of RAW where it's been an hour before there's any Wrestling on.

Granted it can fluctuate from time to time but usually in a 2 hour show you get 6 matches. They only did 4 this week but one of those was about 40 minutes.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Saying Sonny Kiss is getting less TV time is wrong because it implies she was getting any to begin with :smith:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Saying Sonny Kiss is getting less TV time is wrong because it implies she was getting any to begin with :smith:

Sonny/Joey were on Dynamite semi-regularly at the beginning and I remember Sonny getting one really good match of Dynamite that total won me over. I'm really loving sad that Sonny isn't like, a part of the Best Friends stable or something. Perfect fit!

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Rarity posted:

On the one hand, I'm glad Dark got a feud as good as Sonny/Joey. On the other, it absolutely deserved proper TV time

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Peggy Edson posted:

They talk just as much as WWE.

Not even close

Might still be too much for some tastes, but it's not just as much

Burning Beard
Nov 21, 2008

Choking on bits of fallen bread crumbs
Oh, this burning beard, I have come undone
It's just as I've feared. I have, I have come undone
Bugger dumb the last of academe

Gavok posted:

AEW just signed a guy whose gimmick is "Pee Wee Herman as the Devil," so they know what they're doing.

Oh, it's even better than that. Danhausen is more like Conan O'Brien as the devil and the dude is loving hilarious. He's also drat good in the ring. His gimmick is really hitting a sweet spot for me along with Britt Baker. AEW is killing it and I say this as a wrestling fan who gave up on WWE years ago.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Burning Beard posted:

Oh, it's even better than that. Danhausen is more like Conan O'Brien as the devil and the dude is loving hilarious. He's also drat good in the ring. His gimmick is really hitting a sweet spot for me along with Britt Baker. AEW is killing it and I say this as a wrestling fan who gave up on WWE years ago.

I absolutely love the Best Friends stable, Orange Cassidy and Kris Statlander are absolutely awesome. I love gimmicks where they don't yap all day. On the flip side, I absolutely loving love Eddie Kingston and originally fell in love with him through NWA Powerrr. The other group I just cannot wait to see a 3v3 tag match with is Death Triangle aka PAC, Penta El Zero M and Rey Fenix. Those three are some of the best wrestlers I have ever watched and took part in some of my favorite AEW matches of all time

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

AEW also doesn't drag out feuds for a year (Hangman being the exception.) MJF and CM Punk just had a PPV quality match Wednesday night as part of their big story and it's moving forward next week instead of having the exact same match four weeks from now with talking segments every week in between. If you watch an AEW show two weeks in a row you'll actually see storylines move.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Occasionally you get a very talk heavy episode of Dynamite. Like I think three weeks ago you had Mox come back from rehab, Cody doing a promo in front of a ladder, and one other long promo segment (I think another Punk/MJF thing) but then that Friday on Rampage it was an hour straight of wrestling. All the promos on that Dynamite were great but if it was your first time watching AEW you might think "they talk as much as WWE." Most weeks that would not be true, though. This week we got PPV quality MJF vs Punk, last week we got an absolutely insane Cody vs Sammy ladder match AND the OC vs Cole lights out match.

And the PPVs are better too.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Ok I’m hearing some good things about AEW, but what about the broad racial caricatures, incestuous relationships, glistening bodybuilders, and elder abuse that I Vince McMahon the wrestling public crave???

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Prof. Crocodile posted:

glistening bodybuilders

My friend let me tell you about :wardlow:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Ok I’m hearing some good things about AEW, but what about the broad racial caricatures, incestuous relationships, glistening bodybuilders, and elder abuse that I Vince McMahon the wrestling public crave???

Would Sting doing driving crossbodies or Ricky Morton taking a Canadian Destroyer be considered elder abuse?

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Prof. Crocodile posted:

if it helps, it looks like Brandi Rhodes and Paige Van Zant are going to have one of those super-highbrow women's feuds where they argue over who is the biggest bitchwhoreslut (and not much else of substance) for eighteen consecutive weeks and then Bryan Alvarez shouts for a looooong time

otoh Paige Van Zant is the only wrestler who actively posts her own nudes on the subreddit for sexy wrestlers, so she's really reaching for that brass ring

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

or so I heard from someone who likes that sort of thing

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Prof. Crocodile posted:

It's absolutely no where near the levels of the Attitude era, but there's still a lot of skin, glistening bodybuilders (and giant hairy madmen too mind you) and elder abuse (I cannot wait for Dan Lampert to get hosed up more, I love him so much for hating him so much). Luckily they don't really seem to be doing the relationship bullshit that WWE always did, the only one I enjoyed was Lana/Miro/Lashley just because it gave birth to my favorite worst WWE promo ever, the Lana/Lashley Wedding

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkdBOgXISWQ

This just absolute loving complete dumpster fire of a spot, what the gently caress even is this lmao

Hahahaha I forgot about the crowd chanting Jerry Jerry Jerry

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Zombie like the Under Taker bump! I enjoy it for poo poo like this, haven't watched in over 6 months but WM season is coming up and the Brock v Roman stuff is looking cool. Been in a YouTube loop and even some of the Hogan TNA stuff is cool to watch. Now I am only through the first like 10 mins, but this just explains so much about WCW's dying days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiELVV9uNdg

PSYCHOTIC MADMAN Scott Steiner! who can stop him? [Nitro - 18th July 2000]

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I was debating making a new GBS wrestling because I want to blab about AEW somewhere so thanks for the bump

Who's still watchin AEW

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm a full time member of Jade Cargill's baddie section :hai:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who isn't

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Give Sonny Kiss at least one match per week on prime time imo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Absolutely agree, Sonny is awesome and his Dark matches with Joey Janela were absolute bangers that belonged on Dynamite and wouldn't have been out of place as PPV openers.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sonny should be besties with Jade once she turns face

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Its The Wrestling Day my Friends, Are You Ready For The Main Event

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bagmonkey posted:

Its The Wrestling Day my Friends, Are You Ready For The Main Event

Yes can't wait to see Ricochet vs. Ali part 48

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Jay Lethal has had some AWESOME matches lately, love what he's been doing

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

Jay Lethal has had some AWESOME matches lately, love what he's been doing

Is it better or worse than this:

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

Is it better or worse than this:

I'm sorry but can you ever top the Ric Flair promo

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

I'm sorry but can you ever top the Ric Flair promo

Honestly, It may be the single greatest thing in wrestling history.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

I think I found out about it because of this thread and I've watched it like 2-3 times since Jay Lethal joined AEW

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Trollologist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKuquMfcoOc

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

bagmonkey posted:

I think I found out about it because of this thread and I've watched it like 2-3 times since Jay Lethal joined AEW

I watch MLW (because I like the little guy), and that Jay lethal promo is pretty much the only wrestling thing I've ever gone and shown to people as a "reason wrestling is good"

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

The whole thing is SOOO GOOOOD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SobD560-9ZQ

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Jay Lethal blackballed women from the industry cause they wouldn't sleep with him so he can gently caress right off imo

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7iyclHwYSo

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Jay Lethal blackballed women from the industry cause they wouldn't sleep with him so he can gently caress right off imo

Well gently caress that, do you have a link to the story about that? That's a real quick way for me to sour on a wrestler, or anyone for that matter

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bagmonkey posted:

Well gently caress that, do you have a link to the story about that? That's a real quick way for me to sour on a wrestler, or anyone for that matter

Here you go

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Ugh, thank you. No longer a Jay Lethal fan, appreciate the heads up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
There's some good wrestling tonight. You should watch it.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005600