Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
Problem description: Gave a working computer to my nephew with everything below except the 1080ti, booted into fresh Windows and everything. It worked fine at his home, using the mobo HDMI. When his 1650 arrived, he installed it himself, but couldn't get a signal to his monitor. I would have done the install myself as I've been building PCs for 30 years, but with this covid poo poo I couldn't. Even after removing the 1650, he couldn't get a signal using the on-board HDMI. After much troubleshooting over text and phone, we gave up and his mom returned the whole thing to me to take a look at. What I found is one of the DIMMs had two connectors that were black and the DIMM slot was melted in the same two slots (just a bit). I couldn't get a video signal even with the undamaged DIMM installed. So, I bought another mobo.
Assembled everything onto the new mobo, and when I turn on the PC, the fans spin up for a moment then power back down. If I remove the CPU, the fans spin indefinitely.

Attempted fixes:
Replaced the motherboard
Tried another known working PSU in this system. No change in behaviour
Tried with a known working DDR4 DIMM in this system. No change in behaviour
Disconnected the hard drive (power and SATA)
Triple check all connections
Note: I see no damage to the CPU nor the new motherboard. The only damage I see to the old mobo is that one DIMM slot

Recent changes: As indicated above, something went sideways with the installation of the new GPU. Power surge, whatever. No idea, I wasn't there. He claims to have unplugged the power cord each time he hosed with it.

--

Operating system: Windows 10 but n/a really

System specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5-6600K
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4
Mobo: was: ASUS Z170-E LGA 1151 now: Asus TUF B365M-PLUS GAMING (Wi-Fi) LGA1151
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650
Graphics: was: GTX 1080ti now: GTX 1650

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. I don't see anyone claiming a faulty cpu, it's mostly "sounds like a bad PSU" or "reset the CMOS". None of these apply.

thanks goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Fans doing that can indicate an underpowered PSU but that's probably not the issue (especially if just using onboard video to test).

Melting on the first motherboard makes me concerned more hardware was damaged in some way. Any part could've been damaged. Even peripherals like keyboard/mouse.

You could try taking the motherboard out of the case and using a paperclip to bridge the two power pins on the motherboard. That would eliminate the case as being part of the problem.

kripes
Aug 14, 2002

BRRRRRAAAAAIIIINNNNSSS
I realized after posting that the CPU isn't on the motherboard's compatibility list. Could that also cause this behaviour?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, that could definitely be the issue.