Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Problem description:
Computer running x86 Windows 10 home, only used for business from January to April. Updated in December using windows update. Upon startup, immediate BSOD after a few seconds of logging into windows.

Attempted fixes:
System restore to December point. Problem apparently solved. However, after updating windows, problem repeats. New BSOD error before login screen "critical process died". Infinite reboot loop.

Attempted system restore using rescue disk (no backup images). Attempted chkdsk, sfc, and dism.

Gave up after hours of googling various attempts. Made an image of the hard drive, then reinstalled windows 10 x86. Upon installation, and during windows setup, another BSOD with an error of wpprecorder.sys occurres. Computer is again in an infinite reboot BSOD loop.

Google this issue and a solution appears: install Windows 10 x64 instead.

Installed Windows 10 pro x64 and computer has now been on for over an hour with no BSOD. Link where I found solution here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fresh-win10-without-updates-on-startup/0275502c-d61a-4104-b0b8-637c3feab6bd

Anyway if this helps anyone, it might save a lot of time.

Recent changes:
Windows update was sole change. Computer not used since last update.

--

Operating system:
Windows 10 home x86. Upgraded to Windows 10 Pro x64 as solution

System specs:
Intel i3-8100
8GB Ballistix ram
ASRock Z370M Pro4
250GB Samsung 850 Evo m.2

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU