Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

glwgameplayer posted:

I know that the VN/Dating Sim April Fools thing was just a silly side thing. But I like how the characters are somehow recognizable as the characters they would become, even if it's just a silly side thing. Like, Beetle mentions a tragic past, Moth is still older than the others, Bee still wants to explore and do stuff like that. Neolith is still a professor, an archeologist. I sincerely hope Mothiva isn't a yandere, but I would believe it. It makes me wonder if this was some kind of test run where they played around with the writing, or if the writing was already solid and they just used it for the VN.

I don't know why low-quality, April Fools Day VN is so funny to me, but it is.

Also the human-sonas for the bugs are surprisingly cute. I mean, Beetle could bulk up a bit, but they look surprisingly good in my opinion

Yeah, this is all fair. I won't deny they put a decent amount of effort into it (though of course it's all the surface-level character details that got locked in early. I don't know that I'd say it's a particularly good approximation of where the characters ended up in the final version, but as you say, they're recognisable). And the character design work to make humans of them is pretty solid, I did want to make sure I showed that.

In other things... this year's prank. (Which I've gone and edited into the update, but I'll post it below as well for convenience.)

8: Snails...? (2024)

No new game for 2024, but there appears to have been an announcement from Genow on Discord?

Okay, what's this on his profile?

code:
68 74 74 70 73 3A 2F 2F 77 77 77 2E 79 6F 75 74 75 62 65 2E 63 6F 6D 2F 77 61 74 63 68 3F 76 3D 52 72 44 74 39 61 30 71 33 50 30
Convert this from hex to ASCII and you get... a youtube link. it's the snail church song

He's been saying a bunch of goofy stuff on Discord, including this. Although as far as I can tell the PUSHROCK thing is also a prank, there isn't a new patch or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Get it out faster devs. Snell Snell!

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Look who just turned up. They're a lot cuter when they're not trying to kill us!

(No, I don't know why Zasp has a ring on one of his legs, your guess is as good as mine.)

glwgameplayer
Nov 16, 2022

Explopyro posted:

(No, I don't know why Zasp has a ring on one of his legs, your guess is as good as mine.)

If you look really closely at Zasp's sprite or his detailed artwork, he does actually have a pink ring/ribbon around one of his legs. I don't know if this is canon or just a theory the fans came up with, but the generally accepted explanation is that it's a piece of Mothiva merch or a gift she gave him.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

Welp. Uh. If anyone did actually want to read it, I made myself transcribe the April Fools VN thing. Here you go. Enjoy? (Don't blame me for any psychic damage.)

(I'll also edit the link into the update.)

glwgameplayer posted:

If you look really closely at Zasp's sprite or his detailed artwork, he does actually have a pink ring/ribbon around one of his legs. I don't know if this is canon or just a theory the fans came up with, but the generally accepted explanation is that it's a piece of Mothiva merch or a gift she gave him.

Interesting! Somehow I never noticed this, but it's definitely there. Well done to the plush designer then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

This is not an update, but I can't resist sharing some articles on fungal parasitism in cicadas, it feels kind of germane to the thread (and also it's just cool).

I first heard about this via PZ Myers, and that piece is fun, but he also links to a few more detailed articles on it which I'll reproduce below as well:

Hypersexual "zombie cicadas" expected to emerge this spring
Cicadas are nature’s weirdos. They pee stronger than us and an STD can turn them into zombies