Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horror_Business
Jan 6, 2007

I'll put a knife right in you.
Problem description:

We have a Windows 7 desktop on the local domain that is also directly connected via a second network card to a Windows XP computer at a piece of equipment. The connected network cards have the IP addresses set manually. The Win7 desktop uses a mapped drive to move programs to a folder on the XP machine. Around 5am, the mapped drive lost connection and prompted for username/password. Despite being 100% certain that the password is correct, Win7 just keeps prompting for the password.

Credentials being used are for the XP administrator account, [ip address]\Administrator

Attempted fixes:

Removed mapped drive entirely. Cleared saved credentials from Credential Manager. Checked all cable connections. Both machines respond correctly when pinged from each other. Gave full control to Everyone for the drive one the XP machine under security options. Attempted to map the drive with two other accounts' credentials on the XP machine which have the correct permissions. Added the IP for the XP machine to the Win7 desktop's host file with a host name and attempted to map that.

Contacted IT but they know less about the setup than I do.

Recent changes:

I am unaware of any recent changes. It is possible that network changed something on the domain side.

--

Operating system:

Windows 7 64 bit, Windows XP

System specs:

I don't have the specs on hand, but I can provide any if needed.

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes. So many searches.

EDIT: Issue resolved. Time difference on the two machines was large enough to prevent authentication. Closing.

Horror_Business fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Feb 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU