Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Fawf posted:

no room for a famicom in my life but plenty enough for these bad boys :c00l:

Ah yes, another explorer in the further regions of Famicom experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I don't have a lot of expensive stuff, but I do have this big box version of MonkeyIsland 2 signed by Ron Gilbert:

And there's my copy of Symphony of the Night that I bought for cheap as a child in the late 90s

And these PS2 Persona games are apparently selling for big bucks these days

Unfortunately got rid of most of my old PC games, but still got these and a couple of others

DonutKing
Mar 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I don't have a lot of expensive stuff, but I do have this big box version of MonkeyIsland 2 signed by Ron Gilbert:

And there's my copy of Symphony of the Night that I bought for cheap as a child in the late 90s

And these PS2 Persona games are apparently selling for big bucks these days

Unfortunately got rid of most of my old PC games, but still got these and a couple of others

oh man, jealous of your MI2 and Fallout 1/2.... they're hard to find now! Let alone a signed one.

I've got around 200 PC games or so which is apparently a 'moderate' sized collection. Here's some of my favourites:

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

That's a seriously impressive collection if that picture is only showing parts of it.

I would love to have those LucasArts adventure games especially, and is that Alien Carnage aka Halloween Harry ? Like most Apogee games I only ever played the shareware version back then.

I assume you have US versions, because your version of Deus Ex looks different to mine:

DonutKing
Mar 27, 2009

Whizzing Wizard posted:

That's a seriously impressive collection if that picture is only showing parts of it.

I would love to have those LucasArts adventure games especially, and is that Alien Carnage aka Halloween Harry ? Like most Apogee games I only ever played the shareware version back then.

I assume you have US versions, because your version of Deus Ex looks different to mine:

Yeah I have... way too many. I've been collecting for years, its a bit of a fun hobby and old PC games don't seem to get much love compared to other platforms.
I love the Lucasarts adventures, I think Day of the Tentacle would be my favourite. Sam and Max is up there as well although I don't know how you'd solve some of those puzzles without the hint book (no internet back in those days!)

Yes that's Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry! It had some really cool graphics and music for a DOS sidescroller game. I would prefer to have a Halloween Harry box though as that's the version I knew from my younger days.
The registered versions of Apogee games are really hard to find in a boxed format and recently have been selling for silly amounts of money. Luckily I got these years ago for cheap.

Most of my games are Australian but I think this version of Deus Ex is US.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

DonutKing posted:

Yeah I have... way too many. I've been collecting for years, its a bit of a fun hobby and old PC games don't seem to get much love compared to other platforms.
I love the Lucasarts adventures, I think Day of the Tentacle would be my favourite. Sam and Max is up there as well although I don't know how you'd solve some of those puzzles without the hint book (no internet back in those days!)

Yes that's Alien Carnage/Halloween Harry! It had some really cool graphics and music for a DOS sidescroller game. I would prefer to have a Halloween Harry box though as that's the version I knew from my younger days.
The registered versions of Apogee games are really hard to find in a boxed format and recently have been selling for silly amounts of money. Luckily I got these years ago for cheap.

Most of my games are Australian but I think this version of Deus Ex is US.

It's got an ESRB rating so that's definitely a US copy. Awesome collection

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Prior to the Pegi rating becoming a standard, it was actually not uncommon for boxes to have all kinds of markings, including ESRB.

Here's my Nordic version of Heroes 3 for instance:

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask, but is there a good site or service for getting a hang on how much a rare old game is worth? I have a copy of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that's in good condition but missing the manual, and eBay auction prices seem to be all over the place.

I'm no collector and this thing seems to be worth a couple hundred dollars on the low side, so I'd love to know if there's a reputable way to price and sell it to someone who'd appreciate it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Are you looking at items currently for sale or completed auctions?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Apologies if this isn't the place to ask, but is there a good site or service for getting a hang on how much a rare old game is worth? I have a copy of Persona 2: Eternal Punishment that's in good condition but missing the manual, and eBay auction prices seem to be all over the place.

I'm no collector and this thing seems to be worth a couple hundred dollars on the low side, so I'd love to know if there's a reputable way to price and sell it to someone who'd appreciate it.

Standard retrogames thread maybe better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837622

But yeah, only look at 'sold' auctions on ebay to get a sense. Complete looks like $375-450, disc only is $200ish, so somewhere between there ($250-$275sh I'd guess?)

You can also look at Pricecharting which does the same type of thing, but may be slightly stale - they have separate tabs for Complete vs Loose: https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/persona-2-eternal-punishment

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Are you looking at items currently for sale or completed auctions?

I've haven't touched eBay in over a decade, I didn't know that was an option. I'll check it out.

falz posted:

Standard retrogames thread maybe better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837622

But yeah, only look at 'sold' auctions on ebay to get a sense. Complete looks like $375-450, disc only is $200ish, so somewhere between there ($250-$275sh I'd guess?)

You can also look at Pricecharting which does the same type of thing, but may be slightly stale - they have separate tabs for Complete vs Loose: https://www.pricecharting.com/game/playstation/persona-2-eternal-punishment

Thanks! I'll ask there as well.

I didn't even realize this game was worth anything until I saw someone post it in this thread as valuable. I picked it up for dirt cheap years ago from a used game shop because I knew SMT and I'd vaguely heard of this obscure "Persona" spinoff series. I'm amazed I only lost the manual and didn't scratch up the disks as a dumb kid.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pricecharting, and all of those price tracking sites, have some severely flawed methodology so I wouldn't trust them. In this case where you've got an incomplete game, I'd say auction and let the chips fall where they may. It'll probably be less than you're hoping for since the prices you see aren't reflecting what's selling and even sold listing are iffy.

The high effort option is to buy a manual yourself and then sell it as a complete copy. You'll almost definitely make more in the end that way.

One more thing, if you want to convert it to cash, I'd do it sooner rather than later. Prices on games got a massive COVID bump that will be fading. That's another good reason to auction and be happy with what you get, it pretty much guarantees a sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I have a mac copy of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri; soon as I get my blasted phone to give pictures to my PC again, I'll post it.