Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Tons of games keep releasing content updates that add more and more options after they're "done" and 1.0 status means nothing anymore.

I am not talking about releasing as soon as the final biome is in, but rather when all is fleshed out. A lot of games release content post release via DLCs. Personally I would prefer that they flesh out existing biomes rather than release the skeleton of a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

I am not talking about releasing as soon as the final biome is in, but rather when all is fleshed out. A lot of games release content post release via DLCs. Personally I would prefer that they flesh out existing biomes rather than release the skeleton of a game.

What would you like to see from existing biomes? The only one I want more expansion on is the Ocean, and that's not really a biome so much as interstitium.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Ravenfood posted:

What would you like to see from existing biomes? The only one I want more expansion on is the Ocean, and that's not really a biome so much as interstitium.

Larger old structures, more interesting dungeons (Mistland dungeons are decent, but mountain caves are pathetic, and plains really have nothing beyond villages), wider variety of fauna. I dunno, reasons to be in the biome beyond when you defeat it's boss?

Personally I would have liked to see "past" biomes have new advanced content pop up in them once you defeat a boss in a higher end biome. (not just higher end raids, but structures, and maybe more difficult enemies evolving from existing beasts)

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 30, 2024

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Larger old structures, more interesting dungeons (Mistland dungeons are decent, but mountain caves are pathetic, and plains really have nothing beyond villages), wider variety of fauna. I dunno, reasons to be in the biome beyond when you defeat it's boss?

I guess, but it's designed as a s linear progression through biomes so short of needing iron for everything (which imo should be turned down so youre not regularly returning to the swamps) I'm not sure why you would stick around or why that should be a design goal.

I wouldn't say no, mind you, I just never felt like I missed out on anything in the existing places.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I like the Frost Caves as dungeons. The only problem is that they’re pretty superfluous if you aren’t crafting the cultist armor set, which I understand is considered mandatory by the thread, or want the buiding supplies. But they’re fun to explore at level, nice and tense.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Ravenfood posted:

A new wall texture that's not gated behind endgame stuff.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Ravenfood posted:

I'm not sure why you would stick around or why that should be a design goal.

The devs could break from the linear progression, which is much of the point I was trying to make.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

A new wall texture that's not gated behind endgame stuff.

That as well. A few more pieces for each biome would open up a lot of design flexibility. And FFS give us a use for troll hides beyond the armor.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 30, 2024

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

Likely the same as existing shapes, but with Ashlands materials.

Not really, there would be monumental outrage that endgame biome is in but game not yet released.

Oh yeah, totally, people HATE it when a finished game gets free updates to content. Sure.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Magmarashi posted:

Oh yeah, totally, people HATE it when a finished game gets free updates to content. Sure.

What part of "not yet released" escaped your notice and/or comprehension?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Hasselblad posted:

What part of "not yet released" escaped your notice and/or comprehension?

The part where that wasn't what I was talking about in the first place, what's your problem?

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Do monsters in dungeons reset, or do they just stay put forever? I got murked by a 2-star seeker right at the entrance to a mine, and now he's just sitting on my corpse, and I have no way of making him go away :P

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
In the entrance room itself? They should calm down when you’re not there, and you’ll have a second or two to move around before they attack. You might be able to grab you body in that time. They do wander a little bit, so it won’t always be right on top of your corpse. Still a dangerous business, of course.

I don’t know if they ever completely reset back to their spawn locations. If so, it’s probably on the same timeframe as respawning, i.e. many days.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Lugubrious! posted:

Do monsters in dungeons reset, or do they just stay put forever? I got murked by a 2-star seeker right at the entrance to a mine, and now he's just sitting on my corpse, and I have no way of making him go away :P

I don't think they reset, but as rjmccall wrote, they might wander away.

But from my experience, 'entry room' of infested mines should be safe if you don't cross the very first 'opening' right after the entrance and stay near the exit. I killed a lot of bugs from there with ranged weapons when I was overwhelmed, monsters seem unable to cross that first opening and you should be able to avoid seeker soldier's slamming attack if you stay near the exit.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It’s tough for them to cross the gap, but they definitely can if you tempt fate hard enough. Beetles can easily jump onto the ledge under the entrance, then jump up, although they have to do that second jump at an angle to make it. Seekers can just fly in if they’re diving in from the right direction, but usually they’ll either just pace back and forth on the other side of the gap or fly back and forth and get caught on the ridge above the entrance.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Yeah for the most part that first landing surface in dungeons is safe, except for the mines. The seekers and ticks can both jump up there and if there's a two star already camped on that ledge...

I think your best bet is grab your (maxed out) plains armor, equip your shield, activate bone mass then walk in and hold your block as you load in. You'll need to quickly position to one side so the seeker doesn't bonk you back out. A 2nd player or dev command would do it too.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Yeah I'm sure this is over by now but mines are not safe at the entrance, seekers climb over the other seekers and soldiers and end up on the pad. A 2 star? Yikes yeah bonemass and i hope your parry is on point.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Blast it with the frost staff.

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Oof. Yeah, I haven't gone back to deal with that yet. I should probably just console command myself out of this jam but maybe I'll try out that BRS dealio or something first.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Big patch today, changes to unity and the way assets like dungeons are loaded in.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1781234142190948849

Monday!

Finally getting a new ship? Maybe more support for transporting livestock?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They need to hurry up and release that poo poo so the mods can update and I can play it

Burns
May 10, 2008

There is a lox on that promo image. Neat.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

Lox saddlebags whennnn.

It would make them actually useful for overland travel

If I knew a sliver of computer poo poo I would try and make a mod for it myself

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.
Sorry to link to a dead site but may find it interesting, spoilers i spose

https://twitter.com/jsmars/status/1781333191363559609?s=46&t=E8FalYx7mwbv4etguWOhcg

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Sixto Lezcano posted:

Lox saddlebags whennnn.

You want your gear and minerals to get spooked by a deer and run half-way across the continent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, holy gently caress, Bonemass is an insane spike in difficulty. And I do mean 'spike', because the mountains, and especially the plains, which are the following two areas, aren't anywhere near as brutal as that fight alone. Jfc.

You only really need 3 things for Bonemass - a maxed out iron mace, a maxed out iron buckler, and poison resist potions. I guess a handful of health/sta pots for oh poo poo moments and a hoe to flatten out his altar area.

At least one of his melee attacks is an easy parry, and iirc that lets you get at least one full combo of mace hits in. Run away from his cloud, run away from the hard-to-parry hits, rinse & repeat. Maxed iron mace takes care of the adds really quickly. Also learn to manage your stamina - you don’t need to be running & jumping every single second to dodge stuff, and figuring that out is better for all of your fights; not just Bonemass.