Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hey folks it’s Megabound, and I'm your new Dorkroom mod along with Soundmonkey. We haven’t had a new rules thread for 10 years so I think it’s time for an update

Critique
The Dorkroom is a special place where people on the internet will tell you what they do and don’t like about your photos. If you’re giving critique then try to be a bit nice. Some photos do just suck, but that's probably not a good reason to go on a six-paragraph rant about it. Express your opinion, and move on. If you're needlessly being a dick to someone, bad things might happen. If you're receiving critique then don’t take it personally, they’re talking about your photograph and not you. If you feel it's unreasonable, then by all means, report it, but try to actually read the crit before mashing the report button.

Selling/Buying/Shilling
Please don't shill your non-gear-related products/services. If you have gear to sell, or if there's gear you want to buy, post in the gear selling thread. If you have a business idea you'd like some feedback on, there's a thread for that too. If you have some novel concept that you're not sure about, send me a PM and we'll see if it's a good idea or not.

Miscellaneous Catch-All Creepy-People Rule
Please don't be creepy or stalk people or anything like that. I will probate you for it, regardless of gender or sexual orientation. We're here to talk about photography, nobody cares who you'd have sex with or who you think is a terrible deviant or who actually is a terrible deviant. Do you want to post a thread about relatively-worksafe fetish photography? Run it by me first, but once you post it, anyone who's obviously trying to get in your pants is going to have a really bad day.

Communication and Maintenance
Did you gently caress up your thread title? Did you forget a thread tag? You should probably avoid doing that, but if you did, feel quite free to PM me and I'll fix it at some point. Please don't just post "mod please fix thread tag" in the thread, I may miss it. If you don’t have PMs you can get me on e-mail or in the Discord.

Suggestions
My main goal here as Dorkroom mod is to drive engagement and encourage posting. There’s a lot of photographers out there that don’t know about our community or are intimidated by it and I want to change that a bit, bring in some fresh faces. If you have any ideas about how to make Dorkroom better, please post them, I’m all ears.

The Dorkroom Discord
A few of us hang out in The Dorkroom Discord too. You can join in, have a chat, post some photos and get some critique. If you want a more direct conversation, or you’re feeling intimidated about postin your photos here please join us, we’re friendlier than we seem! https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

Posting Photos
As this is a photography subforum you don't need to timg your large images.

Thanks, people of Dorkroom! If you want to chat, you can PM me, e-mail me, or find me in in Discord.
E-mail: megadorkroom@gmail.com
and you can get Soundmonkey on: soundmonkey@somethingawful.com

Megabound fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleepytime
Dec 21, 2004

two shots of happy, one shot of sad

Soiled Meat
as per our conversation I'd be happy to see people feel free to share pictures, chat, comments without feeling obligated to make every post an effort post. Not saying this has stopped me before / been a problem but I'm just thinking of it as lowering the threshold a little bit.

I think there are enough barriers to shooting and sharing photos that we can acknowledge that feeling bashful about posting here in the Dorkroom shouldn't be one of them. I don't think we need to turn into Facebook circa 2010 but I'm all for encouraging more posting and discussion. One thing I appreciate about the Dorkroom (besides all the awesome posters and work being shared) is that we can get honest, constructive feedback and I think we have enough of a foundation that I think we should be ok to open up.

Enough :words: I think the main thing is to :justpost: and we can take it from there. I apologize in advance for all my trash photos :toot:

Thanks Megabound for stepping up and I'm looking forward to other suggestions coming in.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

We have a Dorkroom chat thread now, no effort required, come say hi!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Megabound posted:

Hey folks it’s Megabound, and I'm your new Dorkroom mod. Thanks Soundmonkey for taking care of this place since 2011 we haven’t had a new rules thread for 10 years so I think it’s time for an update

Yeah just as a quick reminder I still am and will continue to be a mod :v:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Imgur is updating it's TOS and will be deleting a lot of old uploads not tied to accounts starting on May 15th

https://twitter.com/atomicthumbs/status/1648883351233896448
https://help.imgur.com/hc/en-us/articles/14415587638029-Imgur-Terms-of-Service-Update-April-19-2023-

It's recommended that you do not use imgur to host your photos for The Dorkroom. Archiving what we have is a huge priority for Jeff and Astral right now, and the Dorkroom is high on the priority list but I also recommend you go though your own posts and save what you can lest it be lost to time.

If you'd like to join the site-wide discussion about this then this is the thread for it: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030290

Megabound fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Apr 21, 2023